Thursday, July 05, 2007

Books and pets

"Like school, prison or an enormous cake with a spyglass baked into it, this collection of puzzles and games will keep you `out of trouble', a phrase which here means `far away from distressing books and movies'."

There are two reasons why I posted that. The first is simply that I wanted something interesting to start my post with, the second is that I wanted to show my Grandma an example of something I was telling her about the way Lemony Snicket writes, without giving away any of the story. The quote comes from the description that Play gives for a book called 'The Puzzling Puzzles' by Lemony Snicket. I saw it on Play when I was looking to see if they have the series on Audio CD (which they do) and figured I'd order it, just so I can say I have it. Plus, I'm interested in knowing what kind of puzzling puzzles are inside. I also preordered 'The Coming Of Saska' by Doreen Tovey, which is apparently going to be available from Play as from the start of August.

I counted the books in the pile by my bed last night (just because I could) and I counted 58 books, including the one I'm reading at the moment, which I've almost finished reading (only three more chapters to read). Plus, there are two books that my Mam is reading that will need to be added to the pile of books when I get them back off her. I also have two new books - 'The Beatrice Letters by Lemony Snicket' and 'Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey' - that I ordered from Play a couple of days ago. And, of course, I'll have two more books - "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows' and 'The Coming Of Saska' - to add to the pile when they arrive. The Harry Potter one should be here in a little over two weeks.

Chance is doing better today. He's being a bit carefuller than normal on his back right leg. But he's jumping, and doing all of the other things he does just fine. For now, he seems to have decided that jumping on the work tops isn't such a good idea after all, but I can't help doubting that the lesson will stick with him. We shall see. I hope it does stick with him though, as I'd hate for it to happen again.


I don't know what was wrong with Kero last night, but he kept pushing himself between me and my book, wanting to give me kisses, and wanting to be hugged and petted. He did this every few minutes for about an hour, then curled up beside me and went to sleep. It was strange, because usually when I'm reading, he either just curls up near me and goes to sleep, or, he fetches whatever treat he happens to be working on at the time, then he lays near me and chews on it. He learned when he was a tiny puppy that reading time is quiet time, and that people who are reading don't tend to appreciate a dog's nose pushing itself between them and their book. The last time he bugged me when I was reading, he was about five or six months old. I checked all the obvious things that might have been wrong with him (needing to 'go' outside, needing food or water, etc) but he didn't need or want any of those things.

Tori

8 comments:

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

thanks for the bit of " info " on lemony snicket i will see what the library have to offer me .

glad chance is feeling better today and lets hope he has learnt his lesson .

grandma x

ChicagoLady said...

He just wanted some attention is all.

AliceKay said...

Kero just needed some company and you were it. Glad to hear Chance is doing better.

Tori_Z said...

You're welcome Grandma.

You're probably right there, ChicagoLady and AK. Kero probably did just want attention.

LadyStyx said...

Puppy just wanted some love. Our chihuahua does that sometimes.

Chance is a beautiful kitty. Oriental? I had a black cat shaped like that before. Glad to hear the paws are healing up. Had a cat once that would get into my mom's tea. Once he didnt wait til it was cooled off and burned himself real good. Learned pretty quick to keep his nose out from where it didnt belong in the first place.

Tori_Z said...

Yes, Chance is an Oriental.

My cats do that with the tea. They've never burned themselves (yet) but that's more because I learned from a cat I had before to keep my tea where it's harder for them to get to, and to keep an eye on it. LOL! Kero's a tea thief too!

LadyStyx said...

Boo was our biggest thief of nearly everything. I swear that cat was part goat. He even would steal Pringles BBQ potato chips right out of your mouth if given half the chance...

Tori_Z said...

LOL! And I thought my lot were bad!