Monday, January 14, 2008

Marley and more

Had a bad night last night too, but nobody was to blame for it this time. I just couldn't sleep. It was one of those times when you're so tired you can hardly keep your eyes open, then you get in to bed and you're suddenly wide awake, and it takes AGES to finally get to sleep. Plus, I knew I needed to get up early this morning to call in and order a repeat of my pills and some of my drops, because I'm almost out of those things, and I'm sure most of you know how hard it can be to sleep when you know you have to be up a certain time.

I had thought I also needed to be up for when my Freeview box arrived, but it turned out they weren't able to bring it today for some reason. Good thing I needed to be up anyway, or I wouldn't have been impressed at getting up at 7:00 am to wait for something that wasn't coming.

I finished listening to "Marley And Me" by John Grogan last night. I'm glad I finally know how it ends, but part of me wishes I hadn't finished it yet, because it had quite a sad ending. For those who don't know, it's about when John Grogan and his wife "Jenny" get a Labrador puppy, and all the things that happen during the time they have him. It's a fantastic story that's both funny and - in places - sad, and I recommend that you read it (if you haven't already).

After hearing the ending of "Marley And Me" I wanted something a bit more cheerful in my mind before I went to bed, so I decided to listen to "Fairy Dust" by Gwyneth Rees, which I ended up finishing as it was only a short story. It was about a little girl named "Rosie" who moved up to Scotland with her mother and ended up making friends with some fairies and helping them with a task they needed doing that they couldn't do without the help of a human. Luckily it had a much happier ending than "Marley And Me" did. It was a sweet little story, and just as enjoyable as the book ("Fairy Treasure") by the same author that prompted me to buy this one.

Not sure which audio book I'm going to listen to next. I figure this time I'll just grab one from the "need to listen to" pile and whichever one it is that's the one I'll listen to.

Got a letter from the Sky people asking me to phone and confirm I really did want to cancel my subscription with them. What a waste of paper! What they really wanted was another chance to try and convince me to keep it. But I wasn't going to fall for that one. I was a bit surprised they didn't try to offer me some kind of "special offer" because I'd "been a customer for longer than x amount of time" or something like that to try and keep me as a customer. It wouldn't have changed my mind, but it surprised me they didn't try it.

My Mam came down for a few hours today, and made both of us some dinner. We both had chicken, green beans, pees and corn on the cob, but both had different things with them. Mam had rice, but I prefer potatoes, so she made me a baked potato instead. I don't exactly not like rice, I mean, I'll happily eat it, but I'm more of a potato products person than a rice and pasta person.

And, speaking of food, here's our menu for the rest of this week for anyone who's interested:

Tuesday: Turkey drummers, mashed potato and peas
Wednesday: Chicken dinner with Mam and Dad (they're coming down to us for dinner)
Thursday: Spaghetti and meatballs
Friday: Dinosaurs, potatoes and beans
Saturday: Egg and chips for me, and sausage and chips for Kelly (Kelly doesn't really like eggs, but I want egg)
Sunday: Roast beef dinner with Mam and Dad (us going up to their place this time)

Don't worry, the roast dinners have veg with them. I know Wednesday we're having parsnips, carrots and cabbage, but not sure about Sunday since it's up to Mam, Dad and Nan to figure that out. I usually don't find out what veg we're having when we go up there until when we get there.

Anyway, the eye ointment stuff is helping a tiny bit, but not all that much. It eases the pain a bit, but doesn't really ease it as much as I'd hoped it would. Still, every little helps, I suppose.

Oh, and for anyone interested, I managed to catch the neighbours this evening, and asked if they can ask their friends to be a little quieter when they're leaving that late at night. I also pointed out that when they yell at Kero it actually makes it harder for me to shut him up. They appologised about ten times or more on behalf of their friends, and said they'd have a word with them about it.

And, by the way, I haven't been sick since I stopped using the rice milk. So, it does look like whatever was making me sick half of last week was something in the rice milk, since that's the only thing different between the days I was sick and the days I wasn't. Gotta find out everything that was in that milk so we can see if we can pin-point what the thing that made me sick was.

Well, I can't think of anything else to say, so I'll let this do for today, besides, I'm tired, so I think I'm going to see about having an early night. Maybe I'll catch up on the sleep I've missed over the past few days? Let's hope so!

Enjoy whatever's left of your day.

Tori

5 comments:

KAYLEE said...

Thats good that you found whats making you sick NO MORE RICEMILK :)

I love that book marley and me :)

Hoep you sleep better I havent been sleeping well either lately :(

AliceKay said...

I hope you were able to catch up on your sleep. *hugs*

Tori_Z said...

Thanks both. Yes, I did catch up on my sleep.

LadyStyx said...

That's odd...usually rice milk is digestable by a lactose intolerant. Hmmm. Maybe it's one of the other ingredients in it. Possible it was a bad batch. Again Im going to recommend a trip to the dr and have this checked out.

Glad you got ahold of the neighbors. Will keep my fingers crossed that this fixes that problem.

Dont you just hate businesses that pull that garbage? Yes Im sure I wanted to cancel service...sheesh.

Tori_Z said...

LadyStyx:
Well, once I've paid them their final bill I wont have to deal with them any more.

I hope it fixes it too. I'm sure they'll try their best. We just have to hope their friends listen.