Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday's movie reviews

I didn't have anything I needed to do - or anywhere I needed to go - today, so I decided to watch a few movies and make a start on reading "Quidditch Through The Ages" (which I will tell you about after I've read it).

So... On to the movies!

The first one was "Daddy Day Care"... I'm sure I've posted about it on here before. Besides, you probably all know it... You know? The one where Eddie Murphy plays a dad who starts up his own day care service with his friend after he gets fired because there aren't any good alternatives to the posh, expensive preschool his son had just started going to. Anyway... It's a really funny movie. Or, I think it is.

Then I watched "Liar Liar"... Another funny movie! Again I'm sure I've posted about it before, but - just in case - I'll tell you that it stars Jim Carrey as a lawyer and dead-beat dad who's son makes a birthday wish that his dad couldn't tell a single lie for one whole day. And his wish comes true.

I also watched "The Water Horse" today. For those who don't know what it's about, here's what it says on the back of the DVD (copied from LadyStyx's comment on a post written a couple of weeks back):

"When a lonely young boy named Angus discovers a large, mysterious egg along the shores of Loch Ness, no one is prepared for what lies within. He soon discovers that the strange, mischeivious hatchling inside is none other than the Water Horse, the loch's most mysterious and fabled creature. But with the Water Horse growing ten times its size every day, Angus finds it increasingly hard to keep his new friend a secret."

It was a really good movie. Kelly was watching it with me and said he found the ending sort of sad. I see where he's coming from, but wouldn't say that myself. It was a bit of a tear-jerker for people who get very emotional when watching movies like "Free Willy" or "E.T." though. I don't mean the whole movie. I'm talking about the endings. Hope I'm making sense here. LOL!

***~***

You should hear the wind we have right now... Sounds like there's a pack of wolves howling at our door trying to get in. Not that I'd blame them with the way it's raining out there!

Tori

7 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Loved Liar Liar.

I know what you mean about the sad endings. Not sad due to death or a tragedy, but sad because although they are going where they belong, they'll be separated from those they came to love.

The wolf sounds...remind me of another book I read from my youth called the Wolves of Willowby Chase. Cant remember much about it so I guess it's time to look it up and read it again. I know there were at least 1-2 other sequels to it too....

Tori_z said...

Styxie:
*Nods* Yep, that's the kind of sad we mean.

I have that book on my "stuff I want" list. I did have a print copy (Mam has it now) and I read it in braille when I was still in school. In fact, it was the first full novel I ever read in braille. Great book!

I didn't realise there were sequels to it though...

Intense Guy said...

It's been a long time since I've watched a movie that captivated me and drew me into the story.

I'd enjoy seeing a movie where I stagger out of the dark theater and turn to someone that watched it with me and say, "Wow!... just wow!"

LadyStyx said...

I thought there were 2-3 books to the series but as I was looking it up yesterday I found there's actually quite a bit more.

AliceKay said...

I get emotional watching movies. So does Terri, although he might not admit it to anyone online. LOL

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
The best movies make you do that... At least, I think so. :)

Styxie:
Really? Cool... *Goes to have a look*

AK:
LOL! I'm sure Kelly wouldn't admit it himself online either... He doesn't even know I've mentioned it... unless he's read this post (and I'm sure if he has he'd have commented on what I said about his opinion of the ending).

For some reason most men think they've got to act all tough... LOL!

Tori_z said...

*Returns from looking at Styxie's link looking shocked at how many books are in the series*