Monday, August 11, 2008

Post op check-up

I'll do a proper "what I've been up to" type post tomorrow. Today I want to just let those of you who are interested know what happened at my post op check-up.

Just a quick warning... Some bits may be a bit too much info... Sorry if they are. I've tried not to be too graphic, but I do appreciate that some people are a bit more squeemish and all that. Just thought I should warn you in advance.

I saw the surgeon who did the op... He says it's healing up nicely and he's really pleased with how it's doing.

He took the shell thingy that's protecting the wound (and apparently is also there to help my eyelid keep its shape ready for the artificial eye) out to clean it, and so he could get a proper look. I had to not take that thing out up until now, but he's now saying I've got to take it out and clean it once a week... Like I do with my artificial eye. It felt really weird when he was taking it out... Especially with all the yucky gunk that was trapped behind it. Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! I think that's why - now that it's healed some - I need to be taking it out once a week.

I'd hoped there'd be no more drops from now on, but he wants me to carry on with some for a couple more weeks... Just while it finishes healing and the stitches in it (if you're interested... They're apparently purple ones... lol) work on disolving. He put some of those drops that are meant to numb the eye in to make the "eye area" more comfortable while he was fiddling putting the shell thingy back in and stuff like that. And miraculously they actually worked straight away (they normally kick in as I'm leaving, sometimes later than that even). Dad and I think maybe it's got something to do with the fact they have easier access to the nerves and such what with the eyeball not being in the way. That's the only theory we could come up with anyway. LOL!

I should be going in "about 4 to 6 weeks" to start the process of having an artificial eye made. I'm supposedly going to the same person who did my other one... So that's cool. She was really nice. :)

The surgeon wants to see me again in three months to make sure everything's healed up nicely. So I've got an appointment for November 10th at 1:40 pm.

There you go... Anyone interested now knows how it went today. :)

I'd post more, but I'm tired and have a headache. Plus I really can't be bothered right at this moment.

Hope you're having a good Monday. :)

Tori

4 comments:

AliceKay said...

It sounds like you're healing nicely. That's great. It does sound a bit yucky to me, but it is what it is. You are handling everything so well, Tori. I hope your headache went away soon.

LadyStyx said...

Am glad it's healing well! I think you're right on the drops, that since there isnt an eyeball in the way the medicine can get to where it has to faster. Those "4-6 weeks" will go by in a flash...they always seem to.

Intense Guy said...

Sounds like excellent progess - and I hope it continues to go well. :)

Tori_z said...

AK:
I did keep the yuckyness to a minimum. :)

Thanks... The headache went away after I'd eaten and gotten some sleep. I think it was a combination of hunger, tiredness and having my head pulled about by a doctor. LOL!

Styxie:
Seems like a logical explanation anyway. And... Thanks. :)

Yeah, I know the time will go by quickly. I mean... It's already almost 4 weeks since I had the op. *looks shocked*

Iggy:
Thanks. :)