Thursday, October 16, 2008

Carl's birthday and some reviews (LBE)

Today - October 16th - is Carl (my brother)'s birthday. I don't know if he'll see this because he doesn't visit the blogs very often, but... "Happy birthday, Carl!"

I always love when my brother's birthday comes around, because it means mine is only 4 weeks away, and Christmas is only 10 weeks away. :)

***~***

I've got a couple of reviews for you all...

Mam and I watched "Joey" last weekend. It was about a kangaroo named "Joey" who was left behind when his parents were taken away, and a little boy named "Billy" who uncovers some illegal kangaroo fighting when trying to reunite little Joey with his parents. It was a really good movie!

We also attempted to watch "In Persuit Of Happiness" but couldn't get in to it and gave up after maybe 1/4 of the movie. I'm not even sure what it was meant to be about.

I've got the new "Boyzone" CD (it came out Monday just gone). And it's as good as I'd expected it to be. ;)

My Mam got the new "Duffy" CD a couple of weeks ago. Well, actually it's the only Duffy CD at the moment, but anyway... She brought it down for me to listen to on the weekend. It's pretty good. I wasn't sure if I liked Duffy or not when I first heard her, but she seems to be one of those artists who grow on you the more you hear them. Duffy is a Welsh artist, but I'm afraid that's all the info I can give you at this point.

And then there's the books...

Mam and I were reading "Pongwiffy And The Pantomime" which we finished on the weekend. It was one of the books from Kaye Umansky's Pongwiffy series about a thilthy witch named Pongwiffy, and all the things she gets up to. In this particular book Pongwiffy suggests the coven does a Christmas pantomime, but things don't run smoothly. I love the Pongwiffy books... They're really funny!

I also finished reading the "Animal Ark Stories" by Lucy Daniels. Which is a collection of animal themed stories about anything from hamsters to horses. They're nice little stories that I'm sure most animal lovers will enjoy. :)

I finally got around to listening to "Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain. I've seen the movie (live action and animated) based on the book, but I'd never read or listened to the actual book before. So when I was in Waterstones in Norwich and my Dad read out that title to me I decided it was high timeI got it and listened to it. It was fantastic! For those who don't know, it's about a boy named "Tom Sawyer" who's known for his ability of getting in to trouble all the time. The book tells some of the mischief Tom got in to - sometimes on his own, sometimes with his friends.

I got a couple of new audio books the day before I went in to hospital the last time.

One of them is "The Wasp Factory" by Iain Banks. I'd read the book before and had been trying to get hold of it, so when we spotted it I just "had to" have it. This story's not for everyone though. Iain Banks has a very unique writing style and from what I've heard from Carl (my brother) - who has read a lot of Iain Banks' books - all his work is as graphic and twisted as The Wasp Factory. Anyway, the story is about "Frank" who's brother's escape from the mental institution he'd been put in triggers a chain of events that reveal some secrets in Frank's past. That's the mild, non-graphic version of the synopsis anyway. LOL!

The other audio book I got is "Stig Of The Dump" by Clive King. Apparently Stig Of The Dump was on TV years and years ago, and apparently my Mam read the book to us when we were little. But I don't remember that. My Mam and Dad seemed really excited about the story though, so I figured I'd get it for myself. I'm glad I did. It's a really good book! It's about a little boy named "Barney" who finds a cave man living in the dump near his Grandmother's house, and the things Barney and "Stig" do together.

There are a couple of books I'm working on getting that I've heard about too.

One of them is Michelle Paver's "Chronicles Of Ancient Darkness" series. We spotted part of the set in W H Smith a couple of weeks back and it looked good, so I'm getting it. Parts 4 and 5 have arrived, part 3 is in the post, parts 1 and 2 haven't been sent out to me yet. LOL! Apparently there are 6 parts to it, but we've only been able to find the first 5 so far. Mam's getting them in print too. And they must be, because Dad got her the first three books and she read them in about four days. LOL! Will tell you more about them when I've got the rest of them and listened to them.

The other set is Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. Kelly got the mp3s from it sent to him from a friend, and what I've heard of it sounds good. Haven't listened properly yet though. Kelly's listened to the first two books and is on book three and loving it though. And, like I said, what I've heard of it sounds good. Again I will tell you more when I've heard it for myself.

***~***

I think that covers all the reviews. I'll fill you in on everything else tomorrow or something.

Enjoy the rest of your day. :)

Tori

4 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Happy Birthday Carl!!!

ChicagoLady said...

Happy Birthday Carl!

Most of those books I've never heard of. Hope you enjoy reading them.

Intense Guy said...

Happy Birthday Carl!!

Some of those books sound neat! I will look for the one about Barney and the dump guy.

Tori_z said...

I'm sure Carl appreciates the birthday wishes. :)

It's amazing how even books that are well known differ from country to country.

Iggy:
I think you'll probably like the Stig Of The Dump book. :)