Friday, November 21, 2008

Hair cuts and shopping (LBE & FD)

Yesterday (Thursday) my Mam came over to spend the night here so we could get an early start in to Swansea today (Friday). The trip in to Swansea takes a little over an hour, and there's only two busses an hour that run from here to Swansea, so to be able to have time to do more than one or two things we had to catch the bus from up town at about 8:15 am... I think it got us in to Swansea a little before 9:30 am.

So...

We went and got the Christmas pressies for the furkids. I ended up spending about £60 in the pet shop. But since it was for Kero (my Westie), Willow (Mam's Black Lab), Jayde (my Grandma's Yorkie) and Loppy & Mouse (Carl and Rachel's rabbits)... Not to mention the fact that - apart from a big teddy Kelly wants to get Kero - that's all the pet stuff I'm getting for Christmas sorted out. I don't mind too much. I mean, last year I somehow managed to spend £100 just on Kero... Not counting the bits Kelly picked up. So, I think compared to that I did a much better job this year. Last year I went a bit over the top... I know I did... And I promised myself that, this year, I wouldn't give in to the temptation to get one of each version of something and give him more presents just for himself from us than Kelly and I got from not just each other, but from everyone combined.

The pet shopping bill also included a birthday present for Willow, since it's her birthday at the end of next week.

I also got a couple of bits for people. Not all that much, because things took longer than we'd hoped, but I did make a bit of a dent in my Christmas shopping. So, I'm happy. And, I've got my Mam's birthday presents sorted. So that's another good thing. Her birthday is six days before Christmas, so I tend to just get an extra couple of bits when I go Christmas shopping and keep those extra bits for her birthday instead of wrapping them up for Christmas. Works for me, and she's usually happy with what she gets, so it seems it works for her too. LOL!

Shopping for my Mam when it's her who takes me to do at least one of the Christmas shopping trips is really easy. Why? Because she usually forgets even by the next day what we brought, so she picks her own pressies and still her pressies are a surprise to her by the time her birthday and Christmas arrive. That's why it was so important I did her stuff today... To make sure she's had plenty of time to completely forget even which shops we went to before her birthday arrives. ;) I know it's not nice using someone's poor memory to your advantage, but it means I can find her presents easier, and she gets something she wants... It's a win, win situation. And, yes, she does know I do it... So it's not like I'm sneakily doing it behind her back. LOL!

Anyway...

As I mentioned the other day (Monday... I think) Mam and I both had appointments to have our hair cut at "Tony & Guys"... That's why we didn't get everything done, even with how early we were in town... Having our hair cut took over an hour... And that's not counting the bit of time we were waiting around for them to be ready to do our hair.

I don't generally bother paying out for a haircut. I mean, I always had to wear a hat before, so I didn't see the point in it. I always just had my Mam cut it the best she could and had done with it. I think the last time I actually paid someone to cut my hair was when Kelly and I were over in Canada... So, about 5 & 1/2 years ago. LOL!

Well, the price was a bit more than I would have liked. But... *Shrugs*... I needed (and it was a "need" not just a "want") my hair cut properly now that I'm not wearing my hats. Plus, I guess it was worth it for the scalp massage you get while they wash your hair and the back massage the chair gives you while it's being done. I actually thought at the time that all I was missing was someone to rub my feet and I'd be well away. LOL! I still wish it hadn't cost quite as much though. And, I only agreed to do it because I know they are as good as they claim (I know from my Mam going there) and because I desperately needed my hair cut and tidied up.

The woman who cut my hair did make me feel a bit better about the cost though... I have a natural wave to my hair when it's kept from getting too long (which is one of the reasons for keeping it shortish) and I also have natural blonde and red highlights in my hair. They aren't always noticeable, but sometimes they are. When the light catches my hair just right, for example, it looks almost red. And, I swear it's all natural. Anyway, the woman complimented me on those two things (the nice wave to my hair, and the natural highlights) and told me how much it would have cost if I'd had to pay someone to get my hair like that... She said at least close to £200, and I would "have to" go every six weeks or so to make sure it stays that way. So, I guess when put that way, it's not so bad. And - since my hair is pretty much my only feature that I actually like - complimenting it was a very smart move on her part. ;)

Anyway...

After we got our hair cut we went to Starbucks for a cup of cocoa and a piece of cake (carrot cake in my case). It was wonderful sitting there with a big mug of cocoa (they said it was a medium, but the mug it was in was a little bigger than our biggest mug at home, lol) and listening to Christmas music. And it was a perfect day for it... Weatherwise, I mean. You know? One of those days when it's not raining, but it's damp and cold from recent rain, and there's a chill in the air.

Mam got a candy cane each for us while we were there, because that's pretty much the only place over here that you can get any that taste of anything other than mint. They're strawberry flavoured. We haven't eaten them yet though. No real reason, just haven't gotten around to it. We'll probably eat them over the weekend.

My Mam's never tasted candy canes in anything but mint before, but I have. I tasted some different ones while I was in Canada. The blueberry ones are my favourite of the ones I've tried (I don't remember which ones I tried... Blueberry, strawberry and - I think - banana? Not sure on the last one though). Mam didn't know until after she'd brought them though. Not that I mind... Personally, I'm just glad it's going to taste like something other than mint. LOL! Besides, I did like the strawberry one I had in Canada.

We're thinking we'll go back to Starbucks before Christmas and grab some of their candy canes for the stockings.

That's pretty much all we did. Well, apart from popping in to the market to get a watch strap I can use to put my ipod on instead of clipping it to the waste band of my trousers, or having it loose in my pocket. We did try and find a proper strap for it on our last few trips out, but nobody seems to do any. They seem to think people would prefer the ipod clipped on their waste band. I wouldn't though. Too easy not to notice it's gone until it's too late. You're going to notice something on your wrist a lot easier than you're going to notice something clipped to your trousers. Especially if that something is only about 1 & 1/2 inches long by about 1 inch wide.

And, before we came home, we grabbed a sub each from Subway. We got one for Kelly too. I knew he wouldn't have eaten dinner yet, because he would have been waiting for me, and since I was so tired I didn't know if I could stay awake long enough after getting home for him to cook something. So, I got us a sub each, and Mam got herself one. Turns out I did the right thing, because when I got home I literally ate my sub, put on a pair of PJs and jumped in to bed... Woke up about three hours later.

I had every right to be tired though. 1). We only got maybe three or four hours sleep last night... Not from not going to bed, but from noisy neighbours. 2). This was only the second time I'd been anywhere further than the end of our road since my last op (which was only about two weeks ago). 3). I walked all the way from my place to the bus stop, walked around Swansea, and then walked all the way back home from the bus stop, which meant that I had an extra 40 minutes or so of walking (20 minutes each way between my place and the bus station in town) without counting the time we spent walking around in Swansea (which was about three hours before our hair cuts, and about another two afterwards). Needless to say, I was VERY tired, and extremely sore when I got home. I'm mostly fine now that I've had that nap though. It's just that I'm not used to all that walking after all the time I've spent sitting or laying down over the past few months because of my ops.

OK... I think that covers everything... If it doesn't then it's tough. Because I think this post is plenty long enough. LOL!

Enjoy whatever's left of your day. :)

Tori

12 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Personally, I like the peppermint canes the best. Any other flavor just doesnt seem right.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip out. Mmmm cocoa and carrot cake. *sigh*

ChicagoLady said...

I agree with Ladystyx, if I'm going to eat a candy cane, it HAS to be peppermint. All those other colours and flavours just don't work for me.

The mug of hot cocoa sounds yummy! We didn't even reach 0C today, so it's definitely cocoa weather, lol.

You really did a lot of walking today! No wonder you're so tired. I'm sure it was nice to get out and about though, after being cooped up for so long with all the trips to hospital and such.

I have some ideas formulating for Christmas presents, I just need to start ordering them. I go to the stores for as few things as possible.

Tori_z said...

Styxie:
Don't get me wrong, the mint ones are really nice, I just like the others more.

Yep, the cocoa and carrot cake were really tasty. ;)

Chicago:
Well, the other flavours are a novelty to us over here, so having a candy cane that tastes of something other than mint is an exciting change.

Yes, it was nice to get out and about... I like being outside!

I like Christmas shopping, but I like to get at least most of it done before December really gets here. Any left to do in December I'm sending Kelly to do or ordering online... No way am I going even right up in to town in December, let alone to Swansea. It's chaos out there in December!

Punkn said...

Wow I am plumb worn out just reading about your day. Sounds like you had a really great day. I am waiting for a picture of your new "doo"

KAYLEE said...

See I'm the opposite of lasystyx and chicagolady when it comes to candy canes I don't like the peppermint ones that much. You guys did a lot of shopping today so sleep all you want!what's that amount in us dollars?

Intense Guy said...

I don't know if I have ever seen a non-peppermint candy cane!

A blueberry one sounds really yummy right now.

You are a busy busy woman - sounds ike you had a great time out and about! High time too!

Tori_z said...

Punkn:
Well, keep waiting... I've had enough photos done recently, thanks. ;)

Kaylee:
Depends on the exchange rate of the day. But on average £60 would be about US$120... Give or take a couple of dollars. There's aproximately $2 to £1... But, as I said, it does vary from day to day... Sometimes it's a bit less, sometimes a bit more. I think it varies between $1.50 per £1 to $2 per £1. I'm better at converting to Canadian dollars... The exchange rate for that is between $2.30 per £1 and $2.60 per £1.

Did you follow all that?

Iggy:
Well, if I manage to get hold of a blueberry candy cane, I'll send you one. :)

Celticspirit said...

What a fun day! No wonder you're tired with all the walking and shopping you did. Heck, I'd be tired too.
Carrot cake and hot chocolate...now that sounds delicious. So does Subway, it's been quite some time since I've had it and the funny thing is...there is one at the store I work in.
Your haircut sounds nice. You are lucky to have natural highlights to your hair. Highlights are so expensive to put in.

Tori_z said...

Celtic:
Yeah, it was a really nice, but really tiring day.

Funny how we don't tend to have something very often if it's under our noses. I have to go to Swansea (or other places just as far away) to get a sub from Subway, so it's far enough away to be just out of reach and really hard to say no to when given the oppertunity to have it. Still, since the sub I have is quite healthy then that's not really a problem. :)

Yeah, I know... Especially to get it done so it looks natural. My Mam's had it done a few times and I know it cost her a fortune. Getting the bit of a wave isn't as bad... You can do it at home with some curling tongs just by taking an extra 20 minutes or so to get ready. It's the highlights that would cost so much.

KAYLEE said...

i got it :)

AliceKay said...

My kids always liked the cherry flavored candy canes. They have different colors to them. I prefer the regular ole peppermint ones myself.

Tori_z said...

Well, at least I now know what to do with my peppermint candy canes if I get too many. LOL!