Sunday, November 30, 2008

Moving forward (FD)

November is almost over. It's been almost 3 & 1/2 weeks since my last operation, and - despite the lingering cold I have - my strength is coming back... Slowly, but it's coming back all the same. And what does this all mean? It means it's time to move forward... Time to fix the problems caused by all my trips in to hospital... Time for change! What kind of change? Change to my diet, and change to the habits I formed over the past few months. Habits are so easily formed, but not so easy to break. But it's time to try!

So, what does this involve?

1. Getting myself in to a better sleep pattern so that I'm sleeping at night not in the day.

2. Ditching the take aways and ready meals in favour of "proper" dinners.

3. Making sure to take Kero for a walk EVERY day, even if it's just a five minute walk.

4. Figuring out where to set up the rowing machine my Mam brought down for me to use, and making sure to spend at least 10 minutes per day on it (I figure I'll start at 10 minutes, then work up).

Pretty simple goals... In theory! In practice, however, maybe not? We'll see!

To help me out though, I was wondering if you can recommend any easy healthy meals? I want as much variety as possible, but if there's too much work involved then I'm less likely to do it and more likely to reach for the take away menu and tell Kelly to order dinner. ;)

So... Any suggestions?

Tori

P.S. If you want to see what recipes I already have then take a look on our online recipe page (see link on sidebar). A lot of them aren't healthy, but there are some that are. Also, feel free to snag any you like off of there... Some I actually snagged off people (and web sites) anyway, and others are our own recipes that I don't mind if you snag.

14 comments:

KAYLEE said...

Im sending you recipes Tori. I got many just cant type then all out now! They will be to you sometime this week.

MarmiteToasty said...

I have well over 100 cookery books, even ones just on healthy eating recipes and low fat.... too many books to now count...

couscous is dead simple and you can buy the flavoured ones, I LOVE those, mixed with steamed salmon and a huge blob of chilli mayo with a salad, ya full to bursting after that....

couscous is 3 packets for a quid in iceland and the salmon fillets that I buy and that I prefer to even waitroses are 4 salmon fillets for £5.50... I often have them just steamed with garden peas corn on the cob and a jacket spud....

chicken
fish
couscous
veggies veggies and more veggies
homemade fruit salads instead of cakes

go on line and buy the slimming world books and you will see how easy it can with with encouragment to eat healthy yet still be fit to bursting...

come here and we will do it together lol

x

MarmiteToasty said...

oh, when I say chicken I dont mean Janet Mabel Cedric or Marble or any of there relatives like great auntie maud LMFAO

x

MarmiteToasty said...

Buy a slow cooker and you can make wonderfully easy low fat casseroles, with little fuss, my slow cooker is used at least 3 times a week.... just bung it all in and leave it....

x

MarmiteToasty said...

On saying that, Ive just eating a cabruarys flake LMFAO

x

The Wife O Riley said...

Marmite is right, a slow cooker is great. Especially this time of year. I love coming home from work or whatever and dinner is already done.

LadyStyx said...

Good for you!! Start with simple substitutions. Whole grain and wheat breads and pastas(Ronzoni Smart Taste isnt bad)are a good start...along with brown rice. No soda or sweets...use only as a once a week treat. LOTS of H2O. If you must have tea, black or sweetened with Splenda. Veggies Veggies Veggies!!! Veggies are an all you can eat, except corn and those high in starch (potatoes). Aim for stuff going into the house that is low in fat (3 grams or less) and higher in fat (5 grams and higher). Eat in moderation and boost the exercise. It may sound rather limiting, but if you eat all you want and most of it is veggies...you're not nearly as hungry as you think you'll be! When Im eating properly, Im plumb stuffed after. A typical meal is 1 cup frozen fruit (blueberries, straberries, mangos) tosses with one banana...a salad with whatever is on hand (salad mix has lettuce, cabbage and carrots usually)...2 cup salad with 1 slice cheese and 2 ounces of meat...20 squirts of that spray on dressing, yogurt (Yoplait lite..100 cals), 1 cup whole wheat pasta with a lite tomato sauce and a sprinkling of parm cheese. Yeah,...3 bowls of food....so no, one wont go hungry if it's done right.

Tori_z said...

Kaylee:
Thanks. :)

Toasty:
Thanks for the tips... Will make sure to check the chicken isn't related to any of yours before eating it. ;)

Wifey:
Yeah, we need a new slow cooker... I did have one, but it was in storage for quite a while and obviously hadn't been cleaned properly before it was put away because it was a mess when it came out and had to be thrown out. But you can do the same thing with a cassarole dish in the oven on low heat (we have an electric cooker).

Styxie:
Thanks for the tips. :)

I'm not eating as much as I was before, which is going to help a lot. I think all the days of being "nil by mouth" recently have helped with that. ;)

I couldn't eat pasta too often... I'm not too keen on pasta. And I don't like lettuce. Other than that though... Sounds good. :)

AliceKay said...

You have lots of supporters out here so go for it and good luck.

Tori_z said...

Thanks AK. :)

The Wife O Riley said...

Sorry Tori,

Forgot to give you your letter. Your super secret password letter is H.

Tori_z said...

WWifey:
No worries... Thanks. :)

Punkn said...

It sounds like you've made early New Year's resolutions - really, really good ones! Good job!

Tori_z said...

Thanks Punkn. :)