Thursday, January 08, 2009

Random rubbish and a review (LBE & FD)

We're already a week in to 2009... Can you believe it? I'd only just gotten used to it being 2008 and now it's 2009 and I have to get used to saying 2009 instead. Not that I want to go back and go through 2008 again. No way do I want to go through those hospital trips again! But I'm sure you get my point about how fast time is going and how weird it feels saying 2009.

Before I start rambling on about who knows what I want to post a quick happy birthday to my Nan. I know she wont see it, but I want to post it anyway. She's 81 today... Happy birthday, Nan! :)

Anyway...

The weather's been VERY cold lately. We've had a light sprinkling of snow... Actually, we've had a few sprinklings of snow. There's been enough so we can say we've had snow, but not enough to satisfy me, Kero and Willow since there's not been enough for games of "catch the snow ball" (humans throw snow balls, dogs try to catch them). But at least I can say we've had snow, I guess. Mostly we've had ice though. Oh yes, there's been plenty of ice. It's been so icy that even Kero slipped a little during our walk the other day. It's times like this I'm glad of my cane... It's pretty useful in steadying yourself if you slip a little on the ice. ;)

Yes, even in these cold and icy conditions Kero and I are still going for walks every couple of days. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't. I used to walk Kero in all weathers before, so why not now? And if I fall and break my leg then I have my mobile phone to call for help. So far I've not fallen once though. My foot's slipped slightly, but that's about it. And, like I said, Kero slipped the other day, but he soon righted himself... He was so intent on a smell he'd found that he wasn't watching where he put his paws, I guess.

I have my Mam's rowing machine down here to use on the days I'm not walking Kero. Eventually I'm hoping to get it so I do both each day, but I've not done much in the way of exercise since May, so I thought I should start off gently so as not to over-do it. I mean, first of all I wasn't going anywhere because of the pain from the light, then I spent up until November in and out of hospital... You get the idea.

Actually, Mam brought the rowing machine down here in about November, but after my last op I was on a six week ban on anything that would put strain on my body so as to allow the wound to heal properly, so it was only a couple of days ago we set it up. And - I admit it - today was the first time I actually used it. I listened to a whole CD while rowing away though, so I was on it for about an hour. I was only going slowly though, and I took a couple of breaks in the middle somewhere so as not to over-do it. Sorry but I don't know how many calories I burned, miles I traveled, etc.

The CD I listened to was the last CD of an audiobook I've been listening to. It's one I mentioned that I was looking for a few months ago. Some of you may remember me asking about it. The author is Michael Molloy, the series is called "Night Witches," and the book is the first in the series and is called "The Witch Trade"... My Nan (the one who I said happy birthday to at the start of this post) got it for me for Christmas... It's every bit as good as the second one - which I heard on the radio - and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's about a young girl called "Abbey Clover" who - with the help of a boy named "Spike" and a man named "Adam Starlight" - helps the light witches to stop the evil plans of the night witches and discover a store of ice dust (which is what gives the light witches the power to do their spells).

Nan asked the place she got it from about the other two books in the series... Apparently they aren't available on audio just yet. She's keeping an eye open for them for me though, and says she'll grab them for me when they come out.

On the subject of audiobooks...

I did have a copy of Oathbreaker (book five in the Chronicles Of Ancient Darkness series) or I thought I did. It turns out the first four CDs are missing from it. I contacted the place I got it from and told them. They gave me details for returning it and are sending me a replacement copy just as soon as they have one in stock. I half expected them not to because I actually brought it a couple of months ago, but I explained that I'd only just opened it and they were very understanding and appologetic. So I have to wait to find out what happens to Torak next. :(

Anyway...

I've started being more careful about what I'm eating and making my dinners a bit healthier. I refuse to go on a diet, because I know that as soon as I start telling myself I can't have this or that I'm going to be craving it so badly that I end up having it. So instead I'm just changing my eating habits so that I'm eating more of the healthy food (like fruit and veg) and less of the unhealthy food (like sweets). And we're limiting fizzy drinks. We're not buying any in the shopping (we're having juices instead) so any fizzy drinks will be if we grab a little bottle of pop when we're out or something.

My Mam made me some rhubarb crumble yesterday. The bit I've eaten was really nice. Mam took a couple of pieces of it home for herself and my Dad, and I put the rest of it in the freezer in portion sized freezer safe containers so I don't get tempted to pig out on it. I've got three portions of it in there that I just have to defrost and heat up when I want them.

******

Kelly's gone to Swansea today to spend a gift voucher he got for Christmas and get himself a few items of clothing he needs. That means that until early to mid afternoon I'm home by myself. Well, apart from Kero, of course.

So far all I've done since he left is gone on the rowing machine, fed Kero and worked on this post. This post is taking a very long time to write because I've had a few interuptions in the form of Kero wanting outside, two phone conversations, the post coming and my decision to stop writing the post so I could make myself a cup of tea.

OK... I think that will do for now.

Enjoy whatever's left of your day, and - if it's as icy with you as it is with us - be careful out there! :)

Tori

10 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Tiz very cold but bright her today.... this baby is adorable but hard work again LOL, I got so use to my lot that Ive had like forever that I forgot how hard work it is slipping another new little chappie into the equation that we have here, so he at the moment is taking up much of my day....

Good for you getting out and about, I suppose at the moment I have the school runs to get me out, but thats about it at the moment....

You just becareful out there, dont make me have to worry about you to :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TORI's nana :)

x

Intense Guy said...

First, a big Happy Birthday to Tori's Nan!

Second, a big Congrats to Tori for row, rowing merrily down the stream!

*makes a note to ask for snow shoes and ice cramps for Kero for next Christmas*

whimsical brainpan said...

Happy Birthday to your Nan!

I commend you on your efforts to be healthy. Congrats on eating right and exercising.

I had heard that it was awfully cold in your neck of the woods. I hope it warms up soon.

KAYLEE said...

I think you on the right traack there tori with the excercising and stuff keep it up :)

KAYLEE said...

Whats a rowing machine?

ChicagoLady said...

Happy Birthday, Toris' Nan!

I think it's great that you are taking Kero for walks. Even if you don't go real far, just the fresh air will do you good. Good for you for deciding to use the rowing machine. I bet it will really come in handy on days when you can't get outside because of the weather.

LadyStyx said...

Happy Birthday Nan!!!

Good for you Tori! Little steps at first in regards to excersizing and "eating modifications", then it doesnt seem so bad.

AliceKay said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Tori's Nan.

Are you sore from the rowing machine today? An hour at first sounds like a lot to me, even if you did stop a few times.

The Wife O Riley said...

Happy Birthday Nan!!!!

I'm trying my hardest to get back into the health thing myself. I'm hoping I can jump start it with the Wii.

Tori_z said...

Toasty:
Yeah, babies have a habit of keeping people busy.

Will be careful, I promise. :)

Iggy:
LOL! I doubt you'd get them on him. Would be cute though.

Whim:
Thanks... I've got a little way to go yet though.

I don't want it to warm up just yet. I want some decent snow first... Like the kind you can throw snow balls for the dogs in and make snow men. Then it can start warming up... But just a little bit. ;)

Kaylee:
A rowing machine is a piece of gym equipment.

Chicago:
Thanks.

Styxie:
*Nods in agreement* Yep. That's what I figure. Eventually I'll get in the habit of eating the right things without thinking about it.

AK:
LOL! Yes!!! When I went to stand up after using the machine my legs were all wobbly and... Well, let's just say that I'm very aware of where the muscles in my legs are at the moment! ;)

Wifey:
Good luck! My Mam's got a Wii that she's using for the same thing.