Thursday, February 26, 2009

Recession (LBE)

I try to avoid discussing anything even remotely connected to politics on my blog. It's not an area I want to get involved in discussions about. But the topic I'm posting about today does, I'm afraid, border on politics.

Since some time in 2007 there has been talk about a possible recession. The discussions were centred around the idea of a recession in the United States. But there's one very important point that people didn't take into account until some time in 2008. And that fact is that a recession in the United States also affects many other parts of the world. Particularly places like the United Kingdom, where the Prime Minister is so far up the President of the United States' a$$ you can't tell where the Prime Minister ends and the President begins. And I don't care what people think of that statement, because it's true. And - even if it wasn't - most countries rely heavily on exports from, and imports to, other countries. So a recession in one country will automatically affect others. And it has!

Many people are trying to deny it. But the fact is that the United States have been in a recession since late 2007/early 2008, and many other countries are rapidly following. The United Kingdom, for example, has been in a recession since mid to late 2008. Feel free to try and deny it if you wish. But, sooner or later, you're going to have to admit it's the truth. Especially if some people's predictions come true.

According to what I've heard recently on the radio, many people are of the opinion that things will become worse than they were in the great depression of the early 20th century. In fact, some people seem to think they already are. Perhaps they're right, perhaps they're wrong. We shall see!

People are also predicting a third world war. Recession/depression or not, I think this one is quite likely to happen. It's only a matter of time before the fighting going on already turns in to a full scale world war. Only this one will be worse than the first and second world wars, because this time we have more sophisticated weapons, and less small rural areas that will be ignored by enemies and therefore safe to send our children to. I mean, look at how many people who are crammed in to residential areas nowadays.

The government seems to think that helping banks out of the debt they're in so they can lend money to everyone else is going to fix everything. I don't think it is. Perhaps it will for a while, but not long term. All that's going to do is pave the way for another financial crisis in the future. Lowering the costs of living so that people don't need to keep borrowing money from the banks would be a more practical solution, wouldn't it?

The main reason for the increased living costs is because we have to pay for everything to be imported, because people in other countries are providing us with everything. Meanwhile the rate of unemployment is shooting up. Now, I understand that people in other countries need jobs too. But it doesn't seem right to me. Those people could still be doing those jobs for their own countries, couldn't they? So why are they doing them for their own countries and ours while the government here complains about how many people are becoming unemployed? They say it saves money because they just have to pay those people, who are happy to work for less apparently. But does it really save money? I know it doesn't for the consumers. And the fact that people aren't taking the care they used to when making items - which means they're constantly in need of replacing - doesn't help matters.

I could go on and on about all of this. But I'll get to the point and end this post.

My point is that we're in a recession - whether people want to believe it or not - and there's a possibility that we could end up in a worse mess than we were in during the great depression of the early 20th century. The government is hopeful it wont come to that. But be prepared... Just in case!

And why is all of this happening? Because of money... Because human beings have become greedy and materialistic. The majority of the world only cares about making money... Making profits!

Money has become a status symbol... If you have the money to afford top of the range items then you're at the top of the scale. If you hardly have the money to keep a roof over your head and feed your family, then you're at the bottom of the scale. It's been like that for some time. And now the world is paying the price for its greed.

The big question is though... Will humans learn from this?

I doubt it! They didn't learn the first time, so why would they learn now? What's it going to take to persuade the world to stop being so greedy and start thinking more about their fellow man than the size of their bank balance?

The following song springs to mind...

"Imagine"
John Lennon

Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try,
No Hell below us, above us only sky,
Imagine all the people,
Living for today.

Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for, and no religeon too,
Imagine all the people,
Living life in peace,

You may say I'm a dreamer,
But I'm not the only one,
I hope one day you'll join us,
And the world will be as one.

Imagine no posessions,I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger, a brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people,
Sharing all the world.

You may say I'm a dreamer,
But I'm not the only one,
I hope one day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

You may say I'm a dreamer,
But I'm not the only one,
Take my hand and join us,
And the world will live... Will live as one!

Click here to watch the video for John Lennon's version of the song.
Or, click here to watch Connie Talbot's version.

Tori

6 comments:

Punkn said...

Wow Tori. Very interesting and thought provoking post. You make a lot of good points. The bottom line is that it always has and always will be about money.

Ending with Imagine was perfect.

ChicagoLady said...

I agree that the world is in a recession. And yes, what happens in the U.S. affects everyone everywhere, unfortunately. I don't agree that things are already as bad as the Great Depression, because the unemployment rate was 25% in the U.S. then, and it's only about 12% (last I heard) now. That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people suffering now, because there are. And yes, people are more materialistic now. Government and the banks made it easier for them, giving them loans they couldn't afford to pay for, on houses they couldn't afford, and then everyone wonders why they are being foreclosed. DUH! I see all these houses being built, selling for $500,000 and $750,000 and I wonder how many doctors and lawyers we have that can afford those houses, cause people making $50,000 or $75,000 can't. But they keep building them. They have no furniture to put in them, but they have the house, the status symbol.

Ok, I'll get down off my soapbox, I could go on and on about this for hours if you let me.

Kati said...

Well, Tori, you're not WRONG. *chuckle* Gods, but I wish you were. Thing is, the Roman empire fell for similar reasons. The Great Depression of the 30's (and into the 40's and even the 50's for you Brits, from what I understand and even after that for other parts of Europe) happened because of human greed. Human greed has been around for as long as there have been humans. The Bible warns against human greed. (Unfortunately a great many bible followers -our friend Peter excluded- don't account for the part of the bible that warns against laying up treasure here on earth.) Buddha warned against human greed. Judaism and Islam both have warnings against human greed. We've had, as human beings, multiple "depressions" throughout history, some worse than others. It simply remains to be seen how far we'll fall this time, and will we have the resources (unlikely) to dig ourselves out after this one. One would hope that this depression is only as bad as the depression of the 30's, and not as bad as the Fall of Rome.

Tori_z said...

Punkn:
Thanks. I thought the song would be a nice way to end the post.

Chicago:
Very true... Unfortunately.

The unemployment rate may not be as bad over there as it was, but I think it's just as bad - if not worse - than before over here. Buisnesses are cutting jobs or closing all together left right and centre over here.

Kati:
Unfortunately, I think it's more likely to be like with the Romans with the way things are going. And if this time isn't our downfall then the next time will be. Greed and war is, I'm sorry to say, built in to humans. If we're lucky then we'll only have a depression like the last one. If we're not... I don't want to think about it! Personally though I'm doing my best to prepare for the worst... Just in case!

That's part of the reason why I'm so pleased my knitting and sewing skills seem to be resonable... If things progress as they seem to be then I'm going to need those skills.

Celticspirit said...

Very good post. I agree with most of it but I don't think we will have a World War 3. I think that after things do get worse, we will have an age of peace or enlightenment if you want to call it that. Many people now are awakening to consciousness.It's difficult to see the good through all the bad but it is there.

Tori_z said...

Barb:
I hope you're right about the war.