Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sioe stryd Gwyl Ddewi 2009

Tomorrow is St David's Day (Dydd Gwyl Dewi) here in Wales. As a general rule there is a street show on the nearest Saturday to St David's day. It's called "Sioe stryd Gwyl Ddewi" which is simply the Welsh for "St David's street show."

Anyway, Mam and I went to it. There wasn't loads there... It's only a small show... But there were a few activities for children, and there were some little ones dancing. Some of the little ones were in the proper Welsh costume. Which you can see for yourself in the photo near the top of this post.

There was also a brass band, which you can see a photo of to the left of this text.

These are just two of the photos my Mam took today. There are some others. If you want to see them then go to my Mam's blog and take a look.

Tori

3 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

I know I sound ignorant but who is St. David and why does he have a festival?

MarmiteToasty said...

HAPPY ST DAVIDS Day to you dear ToriZ and Kelly...... in honour of today... I bought 3 bunches of daffidils and we are having leeks with lamb for dinner LMFAO.... cos we all know those are the most important things in a welsh persons life...

Leeks - Daffidils - and running round the hills after sheep :)

Fly your dragon with pride today... cos Wales is surely proud of you...

I LOVE the little shows that villages put on.. just love em, glad you had a good time..

Sorry I aint been around... Ive got acute tonsillitis which started on Wednesday and had no choice but to have the doctor out on Friday... yep.... acute tonsillitis, its really floored me lol... its great for the diet though lol....

X

Tori_z said...

Whim:
St David is the patron saint of Wales. I did a post about him on St David's day a couple of years back. Will find the post and link to it for you (and anyone else who doesn't know who he is).

Toasty:
Sounds like a tasty dinner.

And, only the men run after the sheep... Women aren't equipped for that sort of thing! ;) (I just couldn't resist that one).

Hope you're feeling better soon. Tonsilitis is no fun!