Monday, March 23, 2009

Bed, book and babbling (LBE)

I've finished the first of the four books I got from the library. Actually, I finished it a couple of days ago, and now I'm over half way through the second.

The book I've finished is called "The Seaweed Gatherers" and is by Jessica Blair. It tells the story of the events that occur when a young woman named "Lucy" insists on looking in to the meaning behind her father's last words (despite her Mother's insistance that things are left in the past). Lucy's investigations get herself and her siblings - her brother, Robert, and her sister, Alice - in to trouble. Her sister especially!

It was a good book. It was spoiled a bit for me by the poor quality of the reading though. The person reading it had no emotion in her voice, and - even worse - didn't seem to realise that the point where you take a breath is when you come to the end of a sentence rather than a couple of words in to the next one. Still, if I can enjoy it even with such a poor reading then it must be a good book.


It's been a beautiful week. The sun has been shining almost constantly, but there's been a bit of a breeze so that the days haven't been too warm. I'm not sure what the temperatures have been, but I do know it's been warm enough to go for walks without a jacket, and dry for long enough to use the washing line to dry clothes instead of the tumble dryer.

When I was out with Kero the other day there were loads of seagulls about. It's not often they come quite as far in land as this (the coast is about 20 miles away). Either there was a storm at sea, or there was a bit of a food shortage along the coast and the gulls decided to follow the river in land to find food. Those are usually the reasons why the gulls come this far in land. Whichever reason it was, it was kinda nice. With the sound of the river gently hitting its banks and the rocks in and alongside it, combined with the seagulls screaching over head, you could almost imagine you were walking on a beach. OK, so the sea makes a different noise to the river, and there wasn't any sign of sand where I was walking, but with a little imagination you could be on the beach.

It was only this afternoon that the rain came. But it was only a light shower, so I'm not complaining. The only way it actually affected me personally was that it meant the bedding I had in the washing machine, which - of course - had just finished before it rained, had to go in the dryer instead of on the line. It had been dry for my walk with Kero though, so at least I have that to be thankful for.

Another reason I'm glad the good weather held out until that point in the afternoon is to do with the bed.

We got a new bed today. Well, new to us.

It belonged to Eleri's parents and was among the things from their home that were being sold. We needed a new bed (again) but I hadn't gotten one because I was trying to find something made sturdy enough so it wouldn't fall apart in five minutes time. So when Eleri told me they had a king sized bed that fitted what I wanted, I asked if I could buy it off her. She said I could, and charged me what I think is far too little.

It's an old fashioned bed. But it's sturdy. It's from back when people made things to last (and, you can see it is). Even the guys who came with a lorry to move it from Eleri's parents place to our place said, "they don't make them like this any more!" It's more than worth what I paid for it.

We'd needed a new bed for a while, but to get anything that's going to last more than five minutes it was going to cost us a good £300 ($600) or more. In fact, the one I'd been looking at was going to cost a good £400 ($800). Not exactly easy on the bank balance. And - with how things aren't exactly made to last nowadays - there's no telling how long that bed would have lasted.

Now we just need to arrange for someone to come and fetch the old bed...


I've spent some time doing more de cluttering this past week. I've still got more stuff to sort through, but I'm getting there. Mam and I took about a dozen bags to a sort of recycling centre for unwanted items the other day, and there's going to be more to go at some point.

I gave a few things to family and friends first though. A couple of ornaments went to Eleri and Faye, a couple of teddies went to Willow, a few movies went to Mam and Dad, and a few audiobooks went to my Nan. I also have a few bags of braille books that I enjoyed but not enough to want to read again (some of them are braille magazines). Those will be going to the NLB (National Library for the Blind) just as soon as someone can spare me the time to take them to the post office. Mam was going to take them today, but the guys with the lorry were late, so she didn't have time.

A couple of people aren't liking my de cluttering. But - as I mentioned to them (and in a previous post) - it's getting so I can't move for clutter. So, I have a choice. I can either put up with the clutter and hope nothing breaks when it falls off a shelf when I'm grabbing something else. Or, I can bag up what I'm not using enough to make it worth keeping and pass them on, either to friends and family who might want them, or to a charity shop or "houshold items recycling centre" (I think that's what they call them) to be rused or recycled. Personally, I think the second option is the better of the two.


It was Adrian's birthday on Friday. Adrian is Elizabeth's partner. Anyway, since I didn't get on here to wish him a happy birthday on the day I figured I'd do it now. Better late than never, right? So... "Happy belated birthday, Adrian."

This weekend also marked either the start or midpoint of Spring (which it was depends on when you feel Spring begins). As far as I'm concerned it was the midpoint, but I wont get in to an argument with anyone who disagrees. So, to those who believe it was the start of Spring... Let's just agree to disagree, OK?


Mothers' Day didn't go as planned for my Mam.

I was just wondering if she'd eat breakfast in bed when she got up. I was hesitant to make her any because she's terrible for not eating breakfast and I didn't want to make her some and find she wasn't interested in breakfast. After establishing that she was hungry I was going to send her back to bed, but then there was chaos (will tell you about it in Friday's post). So when all that was over she just went and made breakfast herself.

Then I ended up not going up there for dinner. I was just too tired. I hadn't had any luck sleeping Saturday night so had been up for 26 hours when Mam suggested I just stay home and go to bed. I have to admit that I didn't take much persuading. I really must have been tired too. I went to bed a little after 11:00 am, woke up around 7:00 pm, had dinner and a cup of tea, went back to bed, then woke up a little after 3:00 am Monday morning. Yep, I was tired!

It sounds as though she did have a good day though.

Kelly and I got her a little teddy and a pair of PJs with a picture of a cat on them and the word "Purrrfect" written either just above or just below the picture (don't remember which). We also gave her £5 ($10) to put towards something she wanted. Then there was a card, of course.

I guess nobody was willing to help Kero out with some pocket money, because I never got anything from him. :(

Ah well, never mind.


I've posted a load of new recipes on my recipe page.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you want to check them out and haven't noticed them yet.

Those of you who read many of the same blogs that I read will have probably seen many of them on other blogs already, but there are a couple of other new ones too.


I saw this quiz on CelticSpirit's Blog and thought I'd have a go.

Both of You Wear the Pants

You and your guy seem to have stuck the perfect power balance.

It's not that you don't disagree - it's just that you've learned how to compromise well.

You're both mature enough to know that you can't always get your way...

And usually, you're both adult enough to reach an agreement - even if that sometimes means giving in a little.

OK, that'll do for today. Besides, I have some ears to knit (will explain in Thursday's post) and a story to listen to.

Enjoy whatever's left of your day, and get well wishes to those in need of them! *Hugs* :)



ChicagoLady said...

I'm sure it's difficult to listen to a book all the way through when the person reading it doesn't do a good job.

I'm glad you've had some nice weather. It's not too bad here, not real cold, some sun and some rain. Pretty much Spring weather, lol.

I have seagulls here too, and I'm about 35 miles from Lake Michigan. They like to hang around the lake/pond by me, and also at the parking lots down by the mall. The nearest ocean is 2000 miles away, lol.

Sounds like you got a great bed that will last you a long time. Hopefully!

When it gets just a bit nicer, I'll plan on doing some "spring cleaning" now that my back is doing better.

LadyStyx said...

I hear ya on that bed issue. They just dont make em like they used to and *IF* you can manage to find one, it's an arm and leg. I am so looking forward to something more than what we're using now but I dont think I'll even bother looking until after we're outta this place (I wouldnt wanna have to haul it upstairs).

Tori_z said...

Seagulls will travel quite a distance if they think it's worth their while.

*Nods* Yep, definately Spring weather. :)

Glad your back is doing better. Don't over-do it when you start your spring cleaning.

Good plan! The sturdy beds are quite heavy, after all. I'm sure whoever would have had to move it is extremely grateful to you for waiting. ;)

Intense Guy said...

Wow - you really were tired! Hopefully caught up on all the missing sleep.

*takes Kero aside and does some explaining... see, Tori is your bare skin mam and your biological fourlegged mam is your fur-mam and you gotta gets cards for both of them, got it?*

Tori_z said...

I think I've just about got caught up on sleep now.

Kero hasn't seen his Furmami since he was a tiny puppy. We're too far away from the breeder to make regular visits. Besides, the thought never crossed my mind.

I wonder if he even remembers her?

AliceKay said...

You're right. Things just aren't made the way they used to be made. I hope you have lots of comfy cozy nights in your new bed. :)

Sounds like you've been having some nice weather. We've had some cold nights lately. Been in the teens (F) the past two nights with heavy frost greeting us in the mornings. A bit unseasonable.

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

"WOW"tori that was some sleep you had there and yep i think your right you were definitely "TIRED" :).

Tori_z said...

So far so good. I haven't slept this well in ages. ;)

Certainly seems so. :)

Anonymous said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.