Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sunflower seedlings

Remember the sunflower seeds I planted last week? Well, I put them in a cupboard near the hot water pipes to give them plenty of heat to help them get a good start on growing. That was obviously a good idea, because they're already sprouting.

Here's a photo of them.



Here is a seporate photo of the ones in the plastic tub (the ones that wouldn't fit in the pot without crowding the seeds). This tub is atub from Chinese take-away. I kept it to freeze leftovers in. But when I needed another tub/pot for the seeds Mam made holes in the bottom of it for me to use.



And here are the ones in the pot that I had for Easter.



They are now on our living room windowsill (it's the one that gets the best sun). And it looks as though I will soon need to get some more pots and seporate them out. :)

Tori

13 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

oh my, your gonna have a glorious display of sunflowers....

Where they the yellow ones or the mixed ones with white and red sunflowers?

I LOVE sunflowers.... especially in the garden in the summer....

We got the last 8 big fence panels put in last night (knackered me out lol) so now I will have a nice new backdrop of me sunflowers :)

x

Tori_z said...

Toasty:
I think they're the mixed ones, but I'm not sure. Mam did tell me, I think, but I don't remember.

Excellent (about your garden progress).

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

WOW Tori well done to you, they are all looking great in thier blue and pink pots, i just might get some " sun flower seeds " for my garden as they are so majestic when they are full grown, :), i wish you the best of luck with them love.x

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

where heck did i get the " green tub " when its " clear ones " and pink, oops, sorry. :).

Intense Guy said...

Those sunny flowers are really sprouting! I hope you, Marmy, and your grandmother all have glorious splashes of flowers.

Punkn said...

I LOVE sunflowers too! I am so jealous. You definitely have a green thumb or a magical hot water heater.

Celticspirit said...

They look great. Where in your yard are you going to plant them? I'm sure the birdies will enjoy the seeds that they produce.

Tori_z said...

Grandma:
I was wondering where you got the blue from too, since I was sure I was told the tub was clear. LOL!

Iggy:
Thanks. I didn't expect this many to sprout. Especially not this soon.

Punkn:
We'll soon see which it is. If it turns out I can grow stuff then they'll keep thriving. If not then we'll know it was the heater. LOL!

Barb:
Not sure yet. I'm going to get some bigger pots and grow them more before I put them out, so I have plenty of time to figure that out.

AliceKay said...

Looks like your sunflower crop is off to a great start.

LadyStyx said...

I've got a black thumb so I dont even bother anymore. If Im killing already full-grown plants then seedlings dont have a shot.

Wendyburd1 said...

Ohhh I love sunflowers, looks like you will have some good ones!!

Tori_z said...

AK:
Yes, they do seem to be.

Styxie:
I have had a bit of success growing things from seeds before, so I did stand a chance of managing to grow them. It's just been a while (like before I was married) since I attempted to grow anything.

Wendy:
It certainly does. :)

Kati said...

Ahhh, I hope your sunflowers grow fabulously! Thanks for sharing your sprouts with us, Tori!