Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Three book reviews

OK, I've got some book reviews for you...

The first book was "Over The Edge" by Betty Rowlands. It's about an author of crime novels named "Melissa" who goes to France to do some research for her next novel, only to find herself mixed up in a real life murder investigation. It was a very good book, and I enjoyed it very much.

The second book was "No Man's Island" by Susan Sallis, and was the story of "Binnie" who is told that her ex husband has died, then discovers that he has left her the island he grew up on. So she leaves her quiet life in the game keeper's cottage she raised her children in, and heads over to the island to "sort things out" and figure out what to do next. In doing so she learns a few things about her ex husband's past. I thought it was an excellent book. Well worth the time it takes to read or listen to it.

The third book was "For Love Of Lily" by Maggie Bennett, which was about a young woman named "Lily" who had been raised in a children's home - not because she was an orphan, but because her father married the woman who was matron of the place. When she was old enough she ran off to London to train as a nurse in the same hospital as her mother, only to find herself with four men fighting for her affection, and - if trying to choose between four admirers wasn't enough - Lily finds herself trying to complete her training as a nurse while the second world war rages around her. I thought it was an excellent book.

Tori

7 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Sounds like you had three excellent reading choices!

I think I'd enjoy the one with the island that got left the most but would probably enjoy them all.

MarmiteToasty said...

Wow Tori all three of these books sounds great, I will note them for when I need a new read and have a butchers in the library for them....

4 blokes after her? SHE SHOULD BE SO LUCKY lol....... she needs to be sharing them blokes around lmfao..

x

The Wife O Riley said...

Those all sound excellent! I am writing them down and going to get them soon.

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Yes, I think you would quite like the one with the island.

Toasty:
She does pick just one and leave the others for someone else in the end. LOL!

Wifey:
Hope you enjoy them. :)

Punkn said...

All three of those books sound good. Keep the reviews coming. I enjoy them.

Celticspirit said...

Good Morning Tori!You always seem to make some good choices when it comes to reading materials. Hopefully soon I will have more time to read. :)

Tori_z said...

Punkn:
Glad you're enjoying the reviews. Will post more after I'm done with any other books. I don't have any new ones from the library just yet though.

Barb:
I mostly just grab books with titles that sound interesting. Sometimes I get someone to read the info about it, but not always. Other times I go by authors people have mentioned to me. But mostly I use the "that title sounds interesting" method.