Thursday, June 11, 2009

A tribute to rain

When in Wales, always prepare for rain, because the chances are that's what you'll end up getting. Yes, we do have periods of sunny days, but they don't usually last long, and it's only a matter of time before the rain is back. But, you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.



Don't get me wrong, I do love the sunny, warm days. But I'm one of those strange people who isn't really bothered by rain. I still go for walks in the rain. I still go swimming in the rain (or, I used to when we lived near an outdoor swimming pool). And I still try to take photos of birds in the rain. OK, so I was just inside the back door taking the photos, but that was for the camera's sake, not mine.



I didn't have any luck getting photos of the birds - despite the fact I know they were out there, because I could hear them - but I did get these photos, which Iggy (who has very kindly been helping me sort out photos for my blog posts... Thanks Iggy) thought looked pretty good.



I admit it, I do sometimes complain about the rain. But everyone complains about the weather if we've had the same kind of weather for a long time. It's what people do. But rain isn't all bad. If nothing else, it waters the flowers for you.

These flowers seem to love the rain... We've never needed to do anything to them in the whole 15 months or so we've lived here. The rain waters them, and they basically take care of themselves.



And, for those who prefer not to be out in the rain, there is always the benifit of some time indoors to do those things around the house you've been meaning to do, but didn't do because you didn't want to waste the beautiful, sunny, warm days you've been having.

And, don't forget... Rain is water, and without water none of us could survive.

So, the next time it's raining, don't let the grey sky get you down... Beauty can even be found in among the rain drops. You just have to look a bit harder for it.

Tori

7 comments:

Celticspirit said...

I love the rain as well. When it rains here they are usually accompanied by thunderstorms as well. As long as they are not too close I don't even mind those. Also, every time it rains I go and look at my garden the next day and can see that it's really grown a lot, even overnight.

Intense Guy said...

This is a beautiful post Tori - The pictures are nice and your words even more so.

I came away from reading them thinking there are so many sounds of rain, the gentle plunk of the single drop into a puddle, to the steaming hiss of a cold rain on a sun baked road to the rattle of a steady downpour on the roof or in the leaves of the trees.

I enjoy the raw excitement of a thunderstorm with the sharp cracking sizzle of the lightening followed apace by the low bass rumble of the thunder - and how the rumble turns to air compressing booms when the storm passing overhead or nearest by.

Water is life. :)

LadyStyx said...

I don't much mind the rain, so long as it's not gunkin up the cable lines which run underground (too wet and the cable doesn't work). What I DON'T like is the thunder and lightning. I went into the reasons for that at one point or another in my blog so I won't repeat myself here.

Those pictures are wonderful. I especially like the one with the paint peeling. It just seems to speak to me.

Deanna said...

Nice post, Tori. I, too, love the rain and the beautiful flowers it brings.

Beautiful pictures.

Tori_z said...

Glad you all enjoyed the post. :)

Styxie:
I used to hate thunder storms too, but I've somehow grown to like them. Not sure how it happened.

AliceKay said...

Rain is good...we all need the water...but sometimes it rains more than we need and then we have floods. Too much of a good thing always has it's downfalls.

Nice post. You have a gift for words, Tori. Nice pictures, too.

Tori_z said...

AK:
Very true. And... Thank you. :)