Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Welsh words

When I was asking about ideas for things you'd like to see on my blog, Iggy mentioned Welsh words. Now, originally I was going to do several posts in which I would post a list of words for a certain subject (e.g. numbers, colours, etc) and the Welsh words for them. And, to be honest, I did start constructing these posts. They looked something like this:

One = Un
Two = Dau
Three = Tri
Four = Pedwar
Five = Pump
Six = Chwech
Seven = Saith
Eight = Wyth
Nine = Naw
Ten = Deg

Red = Coch
Yellow = Melyn
Pink = Pinc
Green = Gwyrdd
Purple = Porffor
Orange = Oren
Blue = Glas
White = Gwyn
Grrey = Llwyd
Black = Du
Brown = Brown (just pronounced differently)
Silver = Arian
Gold = Aer

... And so on...

But then I realised it was going to take me the best part of the rest of the year to do this. But - if I put several themes in one post - the posts would end up quite long in many cases. So, I decided to cheat. How? Simple... I'm going to give you a link to an online dictionary that translates to and from Welsh. There are probably others - possibly better ones - but this is the one I use when I need the spelling for something, or when I can't remember what a Welsh word is in English. Anyway, if you want to check it out then click here to take a look.

Tori

8 comments:

AliceKay said...

Interesting site. How do you pronounce "brown" in Welsh?

I hope you have a good day today.

Intense Guy said...

Hey, now I can describe the pictures in my blog using some basic welsh! :)

Numbers and colors - that's a goodly chunk of what I would need to do just that!

Now to figure out how to ask someone where the bathroom is...

Tori_z said...

AK:
You change the way you say the "bro" part of it so that it sounds like you would say it if it was standing alone (like how you say "bro" for a short version of "brother" for example). The ending is pronounced the same.

Welsh is pronounced how you spell it. Learn the Welsh alphabet and you can figure out the spelling of just about any Welsh word if you hear it, or the pronounciation of just about any word if you see it written down.

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
That's one of the easiest sentences. Most people cheat and use the word "toilet" when asking about it, so you just need to figure out "where is" which is "ble mae."

Celticspirit said...

Now I feel dumb. I did not even know there was a Welsh language. Is it commonly spoken there?

Deanna said...

Is that Blee May?

Very interesting.

MarmiteToasty said...

five in welsh is the name of me house :)

sorry I aint been around, I have much to catch up on....

x

Tori_z said...

Barb:
That's actually a hard question to answer. In some parts more people speak Welsh than English. In other parts you may not even find any Welsh speakers. In other parts it's about even. And, in still other parts, there are people who speak "Wenglish" which is either Welsh with some English thrown in, or English with some Welsh thrown in. Where I live is one of the areas where it's a combination. Some people speak fluent Welsh, some people speak Wenglish, and some people can bearly string two Welsh words together. It used to be that Welsh was spoken by everyone all over the country, but the English moved in and introduced something called a "Welsh Not" to schools, because they didn't think kids should be allowed to speak Welsh in schools where their children wouldn't be able to join in because they wouldn't understand it. Kids are allowed to speak Welsh in schools now, but we had to fight for it. Most of the Welsh speaking schools are new, and there are still schools that will teach only in English.

Deanna:
The Welsh alphabet is pronounced phanetically (I think that's the word). You know? "...buh, cuh..." rather than "...bee, cee..." so "e" only gets the "ee" sound if it's after a vowel. That means that "ble mae" is pronounced "bleh maee"

Toasty:
Yep, it does. probably pronounced differently though, because it's pronounced as "pimp" not "pump"

And, don't worry about not being able to be around. By rights you should still be in hospital.