Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Gelli Aer

"Gelli Aur is a Country Park with 60 acres of wooded parkland surrounding a magnificent mansion. With commanding views across the beautiful Towy Valley, Gelli Aur was once the home of the Vaughan and Cawdor families. This 'Golden Grove', to use its English translation, has a wide range of attractions that the visitor will treasure. For your further enjoyment a programme of events, craft demonstrations and guided walks is available throughout the year."

Website: http://www.llandeilo.org/pl_gelli.php

______

That's where Dad and I went last Thursday. Just the two of us.


The mansion doesn't seem to be open to the public, but here are a couple of photos of it from the outside.

The driveway...




The mansion...




A couple of photos of the surrounding area...






More to come tomorrow! :)

Tori

8 comments:

Celticspirit said...

What beautiful pictures! It seems like a very peaceful place to visit. :)

AliceKay said...

The mansion looks a little haunting to me. Not sure why, but it does. Maybe because some movies make them appear that way. Nice scenery in that area, tho.

Tori_z said...

Barb:
Yes, it was. :)


AK:
It's probably because it's old... Usually old buildings like that appear in scary movies, so seeing them for real reminds you of those movies.

Lynn said...

I loved those pictures and it is too bad the mansion is not open to the public, I bet alot of people would love to be able to go inside and have a look.

Deanna said...

I'd love to see that. The pictures are great. It's cool that you and your dad took an outing - just the two of you.

Tori_z said...

Lynn:
Yes... I can name three off the top of my head. There are some simular buildings open to the public... We might go see some of those one time.

Deanna:
Yes, it was... Dad and I don't often do anything just the two of us. Usually we have at least one other person there too.

Intense Guy said...

Gelli Aur looks like a very beautiful place - I was happy to sort these pictures out since I got a sneak preview of the specatular scenery.

I know I would love to walk around this place - even daily after work - if I lived anywhere near it. Thanks for sharing some of the lovely welsh country side with us.

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
I'm glad you enjoyed sorting the photos. And, thank you for doing so! :)

I'd love to walk around here more often too. Unfortunately, the fact a car is needed to get from here to there means I can't go as often as I'd like. Dad has promised we'll go again though.

I'll also hopefully be going to some other places for walks and such. But when that will be is unknown at the moment.