Sunday, October 04, 2009

"What are you waiting for, Mr. Polo?" (AE&D)

As I mentioned Thursday, Mam and I went to the pictures a week ago Friday. On our way there a Volkswagen Polo - I think that's it's full title... - was taking its time, and waiting for something that nobody else driving behind it could figure out. This prompted Mam to ask, "what are you waiting for, Mr. Polo?" (despite the fact there was no possible way the driver could hear her, since she didn't raise her voice even slighhtly, and the car windows were all closed).


And I burst out laughing.

Why?

Well, because when I think of a Polo I don't think of cars, I think of those mints with holes in them. I don't even know what the car version looks like, but I've seen plenty of the mint versions, and can easily picture them. Which isn't necessarily a good thing when it takes so little to send my imagination off in some random direction. And, of course, that's just what happened.

When I could stop laughing long enough, I described the mental image I'd ended up with to Mam. Picture this...

You're in a waiting room. It's an ordinary sort of waiting room... There's nothing special about it. It's just like all the other waiting rooms you end up in when waiting to see a doctor, a dentist, etc. But sitting across from you is an unusual... For lack of anything else to call him... Man. This "man" is round. Yes, you guessed it... He's basically a Polo - the mint kind - with arms and legs. And he's reading something while he waits for his appointment.

Curious, you ask, "what are you waiting for, Mr. Polo?"

4 comments:

AliceKay said...

I can see why you would laugh at what your mam said. :)

Intense Guy said...

*laffs*

I was reminded of Mr. Bibs the white tire man that Michellin tire uses for its ads.

He could reply, "I'm here for a bit of a patching up."

Tori_z said...

LOL @ Iggy!

LadyStyx said...

*laffin* And here I thought about Mr Staypuft...