Saturday, January 02, 2010

greeting 2010 (FD)

We didn't do much to see in the new year this year. Kelly and I watched a movie new year's eve (review will be posted tomorrow) while eating biscuits. Plus, I had a bottle of the non-alcaholic grape wine that I like. I don't know if Kelly's not keen on it, or if he just wanted to drink cola, bbut that's what he had anyway. I don't mind, because it means more for me if I'm the only person who's drinking it. LOL!


Anyway, I sort of dozed off a little before midnight, but woke at midnight to the sounds of fireworks going off nearby. So, I listened to those for a bit, said "happy new year," to Kelly, then went back to sleep. I woke back up then about 6:45 am, which is really good for me. But I've been sleeping well like that most of the time lately.

So, anyway, Dad came to get us about 11:30 am, and we went up to my parents place. Most people had a beef dinner (beef, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, broccoli, carrots and sprouts) but I'm not ready to face the idea of eating beef - and have never been a huge fan of beef joints anyway - and Mam doesn't eat beef, so Mam and I had some kind of chicken dinner. I still had some yorkshire puddings though, because I love them, and I wasn't going to miss out on yorkies just because I'm not having beef. There was also wine for those who wanted it, and the white grape version of the non-alcaholic grape wine stuff for those who don't drink. I wish I didn't keep forgetting what the stuff was called. I know it starts with "S" and recognise the name when people say it, but do you think I can remember it when I want/need to? No!

Anyway, we had more crackers with dinner too, but these ones weren't as much fun as the ones we had Christmas day, since they all just had stickers in them. So we all gave them to Mam and Rachel, who like stickers. There only seemed to be two different types though, so they didn't get much of a collection. One was a penguin and the other was a snowman.

After dinner was over with and cleaning up had been done, we played "Escape From Colditz" together. Well, Nan and Wayne didn't want to play, but the rest of us played.

Kelly was the Germans, and I think he was enjoying playing them just a little too much. LOL! Dad was the French, Mam was the British, Rachel was the Americans, Carl was the Polish, and I was the Dutch. The rules say that the Germans win if one of the other armies - aided by the others - don't manage to have two soldiers escape within 2 & 1/2 hours of gameplay. We almost managed to achieve that, but rran out of time just as Mam's second one was about to finish escaping. Had we had time for her to get another turn in then we probably would have won, since you roll to dice, and if you have doubles then you reroll (regardless of what the doubles are) and she only needed 5 to get her second guy out and safe. Our victory wouldn't have been guaranteed, but we'd have stood a chance. As it was, the time ran out, and the Germans won.

It was fun, but, as I said, I think Kelly was enjoying being the Germans a little too much. LOL!

So, that's how we welcomed 2010... A movie, biscuits to nibble on, and a nice drink on new year's eve, and a family dinner followed by a board game on new year's day. Quiet, yes, but nice!

How did you see in the new year?

Tori

8 comments:

AliceKay said...

Terri and I stayed home, toasted in the New Year with some wine cooler as the ball dropped in Times Square. Terri took down the star from the light pole yesterday while I was getting lunch around, then I helped him take down the outside lights after lunch. The tree is still up. Will probably take that down tomorrow.

Dorkys Ramos said...

I spent it at home with good company. Looks like you had quite the evening though! Mine was much more laid back, but fun nonetheless. Here's to starting the new year off right!

Jess said...

its called shloer and its delicious! Happy new year to you. Im very impressed by your waking up naturally at half six. Today i woke up after 1pm. Its a real problem. I had a sleepover with some friends for new years. Did you make any resolutions?

Toriz said...

AK:
Sounds nice. :)


We took down the few decorations that we had up down here (OK, fine, we put away the tree) today. The decorations are still up at my parents' place though.

Dorkys:

Sounds nice. :)

That wasn't all new year's eve. Only the bit up until the fireworks I heard before going back to sleep was. The rest happened new years day.

Jess:
Yeah, that's it... Thank you! :)

That length of sleep is considered a good night sleep for me. Especially on a night when I don't wake up - or only wake up for long enough so I register I'm awake, but not long enough for me to consider it worth mentioning. It's not uncommon for me to go a couple of days with little to no sleep. I hate those times, though they are quite useful if I have audiobooks I want to listen to. LOL!

Deanna said...

That game sounds way too confusing. It sounds like you have a very nice New Years celebration.

Toriz said...

Deanna:
It was a bit confusing at first, which is probably part of why we ran out of time... Trying to figure out what we were doing! ;)

Intense Guy said...

I slept through new years eve.

I know, I'm just lame.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
No, you were just tired. :)