Thursday, May 06, 2010

Avatar

"A paraplegic marine dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home."

"Avatar brings us as close as cinema ever has to actually visiting an alien world. The beautiful environs, the exotic creatures and incredibly lifelike natives of Pandora arrest the senses, visually, aurally and emotionally. The world in Avatar is the true star of the show. The amount of detail and work that has gone into bringing this new world alive is seriously impressive, and it will be a while before we see anything that overtakes it in scope and quality. WETA Workshop and ILM have truly outdone themselves."

Both above quotes were taken from this page.

Dad, Wayne, Kelly and I watched this movie the Saturday night before we came back to the flat. All I can say is... WOW! The almost three hours just flew by, because we were enjoying it so much. It was absolutely fantastic, helped in my case by the fact the audio description worked well, so I didn't miss out on anything, yet nobody else had to miss bits of the film to describe things. There was also a slight comedy element added by the audio description with comments like, "... he can even stay on a horse now," followed by a pause in the description in which he could be heard crashing about, and falling off the horse, at which point the person doing the description added, "but not for long." LOL! Mind you, though the audio description helped in my case, and added a couple of elements of comedy, it would have been an awesome movie even without it. Best movie I've seen in ages!

Tori

5 comments:

Celticspirit said...

I have to agree with you on Avatar. We saw it at the movies and the graphics were amazing. I heard that James Cameron started on this movie after Titanic and has been working on it ever since. He sure takes his time but he's a perfectionist. I loved Avatar so much that I bought the dvd as well.

AliceKay said...

I wanted to buy Avatar the week it came out, but it was sold out by the time I got to Kmart that week. My son bought the set, though, and told me I could have the DVD copy and he'll keep the Blu-ray copy. Now I just have to wait until he comes home again so I can watch the movie. :\

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie so much. :)

Deanna said...

Great review. Based on your review, I am going to buy this one to have when the grandkids come visit.

Intense Guy said...

I oughta see it I guess. Something about creepy blue faced beings spook me though..

Toriz said...

Barb:
Yes, it was worth the wait!

AK:
Trust me, it will be worth waiting for!

Deanna:
Cool! Let me know if they enjoy it. Just a heads up though, it is rated PG13, because of scenes where they smoke, and because of a lot of battle scenes. So you may want to watch it yourself before deciding whether to let the younger grandkids watch it. Mind you, some of the younger ones might not sit through it anyway, because it's quite long, and - exciting or not - it's hard to keep a kid younger than 7 or 8 still for long enough for the short kids' movies, let alone for a 3 hour movie.

Iggy:
I reckon it's good enough so that you probably wouldn't even think about that. :)