Thursday, July 08, 2010

Tawe Tales 2010 - The Roman Conquest

"Owen Staton and The Sleeping Giant Foundation presents another year of superb traditional storytelling with...

The Roman Conquest- Myths and legends from ancient Rome. A chance to learn about the rich myths and legends brought to Wales by the Roman invaders."

And that is where I went on Thursday of last week. It was meant to be Mam, Dad and I, but Mam didn't end up going, so it was only the two of us. I missed the first one for this year, which was a couple of months ago (I think the actual date is on the websites linked to above) but my Mam and Dad went to it, and said it was absolutely fantastic.

This time I did get to go to it though, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Owen is a truely fantastic storyteller! And, I can have the privallage of being able to say I know him, because he's a friend of my Dad, who has been roleplaying with my Dad for as long as I can remember.

Just in case you were wondering. No, I'm not just saying he's a fantastic storyteller just because he's a friend of my Dad. And, no, I didn't go to this just because he was a friend of my Dad. I went because I love storytellers - not that I've had many oppertunities to listen to proper ones, but still - and I enjoyed because he truely was fantastic. I mean, he managed to get my Mam to sit still for a couple of hours. My Mam doesn't sit still, so that's got to tell you something about how good he really is, right? ;)

I was also impressed with the fact that - unlike many performers - during the break he came and spoke to his guests, asking how people were, etc. And not just me and Dad, but also people he didn't know.

8 comments:

AliceKay said...

He sounds like a great storyteller and also a great people person. I'm glad you got the chance to go, and I'm glad you really enjoyed yourself. :)

Hope you're having a good day so far today. (another hot one here in Pennsylvania)

Toriz said...

Warm here too, AK. Though not as hot as you've been having. Thankfully!

Intense Guy said...

Sounds like this guy has a marvelous voice - some people can speak in such a captivating way they could be reading the phonebook listings and still sound good.

Toriz said...

*Nods in agreement with Iggy*

Rita said...

I watched his video on his website--The Thief of Dinas Rock"--and he is quite the storyteller--yes! I can see why you like to go and listen to him!! :):) Sounds like he's a nice person, too--visiting with people. How great that he knows your dad, too. :)

Toriz said...

Rita:
Yes, he does seem to be a really nice guy. My parents and hubby think so too. :)

Owen said...

tori.

Thanks for the lovely words and glad you enjoyed the show. You would be welcome back anytime.

Love


Owen

Toriz said...

No problem, Owen, and thanks! :)