Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Leak update

About lunch time today we finally had a visit from someone from the council who was here to look at the leak. After being out there for half an hour or so, he came back to us and told us it was all down to a rusted screw that had caused some pipes up near the roof to come undone. Before he left we mentioned the hole in the roof itself, and he just said, "oh, well, I'm not here to fix that. The leak should be fixed though."

I wont go in to the details of the whole conversation, but the short version is that the guys who are meant to be coming to actually fix the roof are working on other roofs so can't do it right now. We know that's true, because the roofs in question are near here, so Kelly's seen them at work, and they've spoken to me when I've been out with Kero.

My issues are that:

1. They've been working on the roofs over there for 5 weeks now, and had actually started seeing to ours first (they stopped while waiting for the aspestos to be taken care of, and were "meant to" start working on our roof again back at the end of July).

And, 2. What? The council only has one group of guys to do each job? Because, if that's the case, then it's no wonder it takes them so long to do anything! And, wouldn't it be a bit stupid to have that few people to do the work when you own about 75% of the homes in an area? Surely they've got more people than that who can fix a roof!

*Sigh*

Still, it's rained since the guy left, and we've not had any obvious leaks that I've noticed. So, I guess they fixed the immediate problem. I doubt very much that replacing that screw to fix that pipe has done much to help the guy upstairs though. I also think that would have only fixed the immediate problem, since if the screw was that rusted, the pipe probably wasn't replaced when the work was done recently, and if it wasn't replaced, chances are it's going to need to be replaced in the not too distant future. *Sigh* If only they'd do the whole job instead of just patching things up or doing only what "has to" be done. It would save a lot of hastle (not to mention their money... As Deanna pointed out in the comments of yesterday's post).

8 comments:

Rita said...

I have the same problems over here. They don't seem to have the brains to think ahead as to how it will cost them more in the long run. They only want to do things as cheaply as possibly as they come up. Duh! And you're right--if there were rusty parts upstairs--then they didn't repair the pipes like they were supposed to. Arg!!

My leaking is finally fixed! (Knock on wood.) Been raining and raining and no ceiling fixture leaking--tada! Only took them--what?--two months?--longer?

Does seem dumb to only have one small crew to work on all those places. Well, let's pray that you don't have any more leaking. I know how annoying and smelly it is. ;)

Toriz said...

Rita:
I hope you don't have any more leaking either! :)

Intense Guy said...

I'm left wondering if (or should I say when?) the asbestos problem will be addressed. That should have been a fairly urgent priority as it's "not nice stuff".

I'm not sure how a rusty screw and some undone pipes would cause a leaks - unless he meant the "gutter" was loose and the rain water was dribbling down off the roof behind the drain pipe/gutter (which can go what you've described and make the windows/outside wall "leaky").

If he rehung the gutter - that might do the trick - at least until everything is torn apart to get the asbestos out of there...

Toriz said...

Iggy:
The aspestos was sorted in August when the renovation work was being done. I'm not sure if I said though. They brought a ladder instead of bringing back the scaffolding for that. I think it was sorted anyway. At least, they said it was done.

It could be the guttering, but I only know what I was told. he said pipe... He might have meant guttering, but he definately said, "pipe" when telling us the problem.

AliceKay said...

That doesn't sound like it would solve the leak problem, but I hope it did. And I hope they tend to your roof soon. Winter isn't very far away. :\

Heidi said...

It's the waiting that makes you so crazy. Well, that and the possibility of the roof leaking. I hate that kind of stuff. As soon as there is a problem I want it dealt with now. Not later. I feel for you. Hope it all comes together. :)

Deanna said...

The council sounds like a bunch of idiots. I'm so sorry you are having to put up with all of this. I do hope they got rid of the asbestos like they said they did because, as Iggy said, that is nasty stuff and very dangerous.

Here's to a fixed roof for you very soon!

Toriz said...

AK:
It seems to have sorted the immediate leak (for us at least... Not sure about upstairs). But I'm not sure how long that's going to last with a hole in the roof. Especially since - as you said - Winter is coming!

Heidi:
Hi, thanks for stopping by! :)

I'm usually a pretty patient person, but there are some things that I think should be sorted out quickly. And this is one of those things.

Deanna:
Sounds like you have the council figured out! ;)