Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Moon and the Equinox

Last night there was a Perigee Moon - the biggest in almost 20 years - and today it's the Vernal - or, Spring - Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere. Well, today is the "official" date given, though the actual Equinox may just be occuring around the date, because it does that sometimes. If you don't know, the Equinox is the time when days and nights are equal length. One occurs in Spring, the other in Autumn/Fall.

I had intended getting Kelly help me take a photo of the moon last night, but I was home a lot later than planned, and by the time I got home I was too tired to be thinking about much. I more or less just had some supper and went to bed. I only remembered I hadn't had the photo done when I got up this morning, and since I had the longest sleep I've had in absolutely ages (I slept for almost 10 hours) the sun was definately up by the time I was getting up, so it was too late. Mind you, with sunset being the best time to try for the photo, I was too late getting home anyway, and I couldn't have called him and asked him to take the photo, because the camera was with me, since I'd been using it at Emma-Jane's party.

6 comments:

AliceKay said...

The moon was very bright last night. I took some video of it but the camcorder didn't want to focus in on the moon. Probably because it was so bright.

I'm glad you were able to get some good sleep last night. :) We had a neighbor (who was probably drunk and passed out) who had music blasting and thumping until well past 2AM. I was about ready to call the state police to find out what could be done about it when it finally stopped. (I got in my car at 1:50AM to find out where the music was coming from so I know for sure who it was) We have no local police in the area so would have to call the state police in North Towanda. It was after 3:00 before I finally drifted off to sleep...woke up around 7:00...so I got about four hours sleep. :\

The sun is shining here today, but we had cold temps and frost on the ground this morning. I hope your day is a bright, sunny, warm one.

Rita said...

I'm so glad you slept! I actually finally slept well, too. (8 hours and only up twice!) Maybe it was that extra full moon?

Couldn't see anything here. Total cloud cover with rain/sleet--still today. No moon gazing over here. :)

Deanna said...

Congrats on sleeping!!!!

Toriz said...

AK:
Yeah... Probably the brightness. Cameras and camcorders don't like bright objects.

That's not nice... I don't envy you putting up with those neighbours, and I don't blame you for being close to calling the police!

Rita:
Yeah... Maybe it was the moon! But whatever the reason, I enjoyed my sleep, and bet you enjoyed yours too!

Deanna:
Thanks! :)

Intense Guy said...

The moon was awesome. I watched it "rise" over the ocean - it was big and shiny and the water shimmered... simply beautiful.

I'm glad you got your sleep! Sounds like that wonderful party might of wore you out a little bit too!

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Sounds beautiful! :)

Yeah, I think so. I expect most of us - adults and kids - slept well Saturday night! ;)