Friday, June 10, 2011

Altar tile

I discovered - while looking for my pentagram pendant - that I had one other item; an altar tile made for me by my uncle Philip (I think he made it when I was about 17, but I could be wrong). So, I had Kelly help me get photos of it. Now, I know people are going to be curious about the symbols on it, so I had Kelly try and identify them for me so that I could provide them with the photos. So...

Here is the top of it:



The symbols on the top are as follows:

The pentagram that's up the right way (with the point of the star facing upwards) is just a normal pentagram.
The one that looks sort of like an inverted (upside down) pentagram is the symbol for magic.
The symbol that looks like a triangle (the one with the point up the right way) is the fire symbol.
The inverted (upside down) triangle is the water symbol .
The symbol that looks like 2 quarter moons back to back is a version of the triple goddess symbol (it is also - in fact, more commonly - done with a circle in between the quarter moons), which is also just used as a "female" symbol to represent the femaneine in rituals and such.
The symbol that looks like a circle with horns is the horned god symbol, which is also just used as a "male" symbol to represent the mascaleine in rituals and such.

The other symbols we aren't sure about, but I "think" they might be the air and earth symbols. I could be wrong, but since they are the other common symbols missing, there's a strong possibility that this is the case.

And here is the bottom of it:



The symbols on the back/bottom are the following runes:

The first rune - the one that looks like an R - translates as rad.
The second rune - the one that looks like an F with the bits that stick out slanted - translates as asa.
The third rune- the one that looks like a U - We couldn't find a translation for.
The fourth rune - the one that looks like a M - translates as eh.
The fifth rune - the one that looks like a cross between an X and a T - translates as nyd.

12 comments:

AliceKay said...

Very interesting item. Thanks for explaining the symbols for us.

Toriz said...

AK:
No problem! :)

barefoot gardener said...

That's real pretty! I made one years ago. I woodburned a pentagram on the front, and then did a vining design all around the edges. Then I "stained" the vines with watered down acrylic paint. I like your ideas of the symbols and runes, though. ;) I might have to design a new one using that idea and changing it up to fit my own practice!

Toriz said...

Barefoot:
Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Yours sounds really pretty too! I can't take credit for the creation of this though, because my uncle made it for me.

Rita said...

I have two sets of rune stones, not that I know a lot about them. Have a book called the Healing Rune Stones and one set came with the book. I know what the rune symbols look like but not much about what they mean because I haven't used them very much.

About how big across is the tile? If the inverted pentagram stands for magic, what does the regular pentagram stand for?

Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Toriz said...

Rita:
I don't know much about runes either; runes are more Kelly's thing to be honest.

The tile is about 4 or 5 inches across... Possibly a tiny bit more, but that's a rough estimate of the size for you.

The pentagram when up the right way is a symbol of the unity of the five elements - Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit.

Deanna said...

That is very interesting Tori. I seem to learning something new everytime I check your blog out!

Toriz said...

Deanna:
I'm glad you found it interesting. :)

The Coexist Cafe said...

That is SO cool, thank you for sharing! It's so neat to have something from another family member that you can pass through the generations, especially one so well-crafted. :)

I'm not at all familiar with runes (aside from what they look like -- oh, weird alphabet? Must be runes!), so thanks for explaining that!

Toriz said...

Stephanie:
You're very welcome! :)

Intense Guy said...

I was thinking ... I like Coexist's comment. You have a little handmade item - that is an heirloom.

:) Treasure it.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
I intend to! :)