Thursday, June 23, 2011

Far From the Madding Crowd

By Thomas Hardy

"Independent and spirited Bathsheba Everdene has come to Weatherbury to take up her position as a farmer on the largest estate in the area. Her bold presence draws three very different suitors: the gentleman-farmer Boldwood, soldier-seducer Sergeant Troy and the devoted shepherd Gabriel Oak. Each, in contrasting ways, unsettles her decisions and complicates her life, and tragedy ensues, threatening the stability of the whole community. The first of his works set in Wessex, Hardy's novel of swift passion and slow courtship is imbued with his evocative descriptions of rural life and landscapes, and with unflinching honesty about sexual relationships."

(Above taken from here).

I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the other Thomas Hardy book I read/listened to recently (Ttess Of The D'Urbervilles), and - being totally honest - in the beginning I wasn't sure I was going to like it at all. But it did turn out to be a reasonably good book, and I am glad I continued reading it, because it did turn out to be worth reading after all.

4 comments:

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you found the book to be enjoyable, although not as good as you had hoped.

Intense Guy said...

I've never read this one. It is considered a classic (it was written in 1874!). I just struggle with books that have a plodding pace. Jane Eyre is like this for me... beautiful writing, its just seems "pokey".

Rita said...

I had seen the Tess series on PBS and really liked it, as I think I mentioned when you reviewed that one. There was a movie made of Far From The Madding Crowd back in 1967 and I had a terrible crush on Alan Bates in my youth, so I think I most likely loved it back then--just because Bates was in it--hehe! What's funny is I had just run across it on Netflix--and when it's been 44 years since you've seen it, wonder if you would still swoon over Alan Bates...I had just added it to my queue last week! So funny that you were just reading it! I think Bates played the farmer, if I recall. And Iggy would probably love the young Julie Christie--LOL! ;)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
That's fair enough! :)

Rita:
Yes; that is funny that you just recently added the movie to your list. Well, I hope you enjoy it as much now as you did back then! :)