Saturday, June 18, 2011

Mansfield Park

By Jane Austen

"Fanny Price, is a young girl from a relatively poor family, raised by her rich uncle and aunt, Sir Thomas and Lady Bertram, at Mansfield Park. She grows up with her four cousins, Tom Bertram, Edmund Bertram, Maria Bertram and Julia, but is always treated as inferior to them; only Edmund shows his real kindness. He is also the most virtuous of the siblings: Maria and Julia are vain and spoiled, while Tom is an irresponsible gambler. Over time, Fanny's gratitude for Edmund's kindness secretly grows into romantic love."

(Above taken from here where you can read more if you wish. WARNING: Link contains spoilers!)

Providing you're familiar with the writing style of the period, and providing you enjoy bbooks by the likes of Jane Austen, then you may enjoy this book. Personally I found it to be a reasonably good book, though not really one that will be making it in to my favourites any time soon. Still, it was a relatively enjoyable read.

7 comments:

AliceKay said...

It sounds like it would be a fairly good book.

Rita said...

I've watched the movie (PBS again) and enjoyed it. So I bet the book would be good! :)

Queenie Jeannie said...

I LOVE Jane Austen!! I think she had a pretty good handle on how people think and what motivates them to act the way they do! Times may have changed, but people haven't, lol!

Lynn said...

I love love anything Jane Austen!

Deanna said...

I enjoy Jane Austen a lot. Might just have to check this one out.

Intense Guy said...

Gosh, looks like I'm the only that isn't to keen on Jane Austen!

Toriz said...

Iggy:
I think she's an author who appeals more to women than men, so I wouldn't worry about that. :)