Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sherlock Holmes - The Movie

"Detective Sherlock Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson engage in a battle of wits and brawn with a nemesis whose plot is a threat to all of England."

"After finally catching serial killer and occult "sorcerer" Lord Blackwood, legendary sleuth Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Dr. Watson can close yet another successful case. But when Blackwood mysteriously returns from the grave and resumes his killing spree, Holmes must take up the hunt once again. Contending with his partner's new fiancée and the dimwitted head of Scotland Yard, the dauntless detective must unravel the clues that will lead him into a twisted web of murder, deceit, and black magic - and the deadly embrace of temptress Irene Adler."

(Above taken from here).

I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes, so I'd been looking forward to getting to watch this movie. I have to say, I was disappointed. It wasn't that it was a bad movie as such, but I didn't feel it was as good as it could have been. An example of one of the issues I have with the movie is that I never would have thought that a gentleman like Sherlock Holmes would be involved in a bare chested boxing match in an actual ring, nor did I expect to see Dr. Watson punch Sherlock Holmes because of a simple disagreement between the two of them. In fact, I felt there was far too many times where punching and kicking came in to it. I suppose if you haven't read the stories, so haven't formed an opinion of Sherlock Holmes or Dr. Watson, then you could thoroughly enjoy the movie. But if you're familiar with the way Sherlock Holmes generally works, then you - like me - would probably not enjoy the movie as much.

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

This one looks like a good movie to me, but unlike you, I haven't read the books, so I probably wouldn't be as disappointed as you. Thanks for the link. I enjoyed watching the trailer. :)

Lynn said...

I have to admit I have never been a fan of Sherlock Holmes but I did enjoy the movie.

Intense Guy said...

I've been enjoying the "new" Sherlock Holmes on American PBS.

Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock and Martin Freeman as Watson are really good.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/index.html

Toriz said...

AK:
Yes, not being familiar with the books will make this movie more enjoyable.

Lynn:
Fair enough!

Iggy:
Glad you've been enjoying it.

Trooper Thorn said...

I thought the car chase and underwater shoot-out were a bit over the top too.

ChicagoLady said...

I have seen some of the old Sherlock Holmes movies and have been a fan, despite never understanding how he solved a single case. I did see this movie, and while it had great special effects, I wasn't keen on the direction they took Holmes' character. I might have to keep an eye out for the PBS version of SH that Iggy referenced.

There was also a series several years ago (mid 90's?) called Young Sherlock Holmes. I really enjoyed that.

Rita said...

I watched that new one on PBS, too, Iggy. That one is different from the old black and white movies, too--but not AS different as this new movie (a slick, special effects Hollywood version) even tho the movie was supposed to be set in the correct time period--hehe!

I enjoyed the PBS modern day setting version because Holmes is a bit of an intellectually brilliant, socially inept, eccentric misfit. The focus wasn't on special effects and was more on character and plot. Loved the interactions between Holmes and Watson (the ex-soldier). But the PBS version probably varies a lot from the books, too. I haven't read them, Tori, so I am only going by movie versions.

Ha! Just my two cents worth. :)

Intense Guy said...

Yong Sherlock Holmes was excellent too! I had forgotten about that series until ChicagoLady mentioned it (Thank you ChicagoLady!) I'm sure Tori would enjoy Young Sherlock too.

Toriz said...

Trooper:
Glad it wasn't just me.

Chicago:
Yes, I saw that one (the young sherlock series).

Rita:
The special effects in movies set in the past are often what spoil them, actually. Also, having not read the books you'd have no already formed opinions of how Holmes is meant to be.

Iggy:
You're right, and I did! :)