Thursday, October 20, 2011

Moving - Part 5: random things to wrap it all up (LBE and FD)

Today's post is later than the others because it's the only one I've actually sat down to write on the day, and I was up to my elbows in pumpkin earlier so I wasn't really in a position to be writing a blog post; laptops and pumpkins should probably not be dealt with in unison, after all... Especially not if I'm the one dealing with them! ;)

Anyway...

First - before I wrap things up about the move - I would like to point out, for the benifit of anyone who doesn't follow his blog and is interested, that Kelly did a post about Hastings week and posted the photos he managed to get on Saturday on his own blog (we agreed it made sense, because he took them, and I always have loads to post on my blog, but he rarely does; most of his posts are movie reviews). So, if you want to see the post, go over to Kelly's blog and check out the post entitled "Hastings week photos" that he did earlier this afternoon.

OK, back to my own post...


For those who are dying to see something inside my property, here's a sneak peak...


(Most of my kitchen utensils on the counter in the tubs they're stored in).

I got the shot by accident when I was trying to get a shot you'll see in a bit, but figured I'd post it anyway. What? I didn't say it was a great sneak peak! ;)

Anyway...

When we arrived there was a card from my Grandma waiting for us on the mat, and within a few days we got another card; a card made by Jeannie, but sent to us by Iggy. Here are both cards; you should be able to tell which is which, I think...


Thank you Grandma, and thank you to Jeannie and Iggy too!

I got another bit of nice post a few days later...

Hobbycraft had issues with their site not long ago, and the result was that it took three weeks for me to get my order, some of it was missing when it did come, and communication was all but non-existant. By way of an apology I was given a voucher that entitled me to £20 (roughly $40) worth of free stuff, and free shipping. So, the night before I left I put in an order - £20.74 worth of stuff, and it cost me 74p - and hoped that this time they would do better. They did; here's my goodies:


*Black spider web patterned fabric
*a wooden bat decoration
*black paint
*a hand shaped cookie cutter
*a candle making starter kit
*a plastic container with compartments in it

I don't think you can see the container or the candle making kit; the other stuff is on top of them. Also, this is the shot I was trying for when I got the shot of the utensils.

The candle making kit I just wanted, but have been reluctant to buy one due to price (they're a lot of money for what little comes with them). I wanted it for the moulds more than anything. Anyway, this one was almost half price, and - because of my voucher - cost me nothing, so I figured, why not?

The container I needed; the cardboard one I have that my stuff was in being stored isn't in great shape - OK, it's falling apart - so I need to get my stuff moved in to something else so it can be retired. I figured while it was free would be a good time to try the ones I'd been looking at for size; they're perfect, so I just need to get more now (which I'll do when money allows).

As for the other stuff... Well, Samhain is coming up, and I have some things I'm sorting for it (more on those another day). Besides, they sounded cool!

OK, away from crafts, and on to other things...

I said I'd tell you how Kero came to meet the landlord, so, that's what I'm about to do!

We had Sky TV at our old place. We paid for all the channels to make sure we had every single movie channel, and it cost us £52 a month (wich is somewhere around $100). Because of the price (which still keeps rising) I kept it going. I couldn't help thinking though that it would be cheaper to have something like Netflix or Blockbuster. But there were all those channels, so we left it (despite the amount of times I couldn't help thinking it really wasn't worth the money). But, anyway...

When we moved here we noticed an absence of Sky dishes... Wondering why that is? Yes, we wondered too. We soon found out though.

This area is considered a "concervation area" so Sky dishes aren't allowed on the front of the buildings. With the landlord and local county council giving permission we could have one on the side of the property or up on the chimney, but only with permission from both parties. However, the side of the building doesn't have a big enough gap for the dish, and the chimeny is in a position where the signal wouldn't be great (also, none of us - Kelly, the landlord and myself - like the idea of sending the Sky guy up 4 stories to climb on the roof just so we can "try" and get a decent signal). The other option is to just stick with the TV arial; so a freeview box, which has many of the Sky channels, but not all of them, and hardly any of the movie channels. But, it only needs an arial, and it costs nothing after you buy the box (hence being called a "freeview" box).

The landlord was OK with us having the dish on the chimney - as long as none of the wires had to go through the inside of the part of the property he lives in - but, as I said, none of us felt comfortable with the idea of sending a Sky engineer up on the roof. Plus, we don't fancy the fuss of going to get permission from the local council.

Personally, I took it as a sign that I should do what I'd been considering doing anyway; cancel the Sky subscription and buy a freeview box. So, that's what we're doing.

I was going to get a Netflix subscription for my movies, but apparently they aren't available in my area "yet" so I can't. Blockbuster is meant to be good though (they just don't - to my knowledge - offer the option to watch the movies on your computer; unless you're doing so because your computer has a DVD drive).

There are a couple of TV shows I watch, but most of them I've seen several times and they're available on DVD anyway (some - like Buffy - I even already have on DVD), and the only other one I know is available to watch online somewhere (just got to find the link again) and it will probably come out on DVD at some point too. The "other one" is that new series, "The Secret Circle," which I caught the first episode of before we moved and enjoyed, so I want to watch it. Like I said though, we found it online, so if I find the link again I can watch it on there. Plus, most TV series come out on DVD in the end anyway!

So... It was because of the Sky discussion that Kero ended up meeting the landlord. And, as I said in an earlier post, the landlord adores him!

Actually, just about everyone seems to adore him; he's loving the attention, LOL!

Anyway...

We moved in here on the 5th of October, Kelly went back to Wales on the 10th of October, the removal truck arrived on the 11th of October (and after Kelly saw it off he went and handed in the keys for the old place, then got on a train to come back here), and we already have almost everything unpacked. We would have it all done, but for one thing I'm on strike (I need a break from unpacking boxes) and for another thing we need to buy something for our CDs to go in before we can unpack them.

OK, well... I'm sure there was something else I was going to post about in part 5, but I honestly can't think what it was. Oh well, if I think of it I can just post it seporately. For now though that just about gets you caught up on everything to do with the move; anything else will come in other posts (either because I thought it should, or because I've forgotten what it is and haven't told you about it, LOL!)

16 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

You sound so happy in this post! :) I'm glad you're doing well!

Here in the USA, we have on the internet... hulu.com. I don't know if that works in UK or if the UK has its own version of this website... you can view previous TV shows for free. I missed one week of Big Bang Theory, wanted to see it badly... so I went on hulu.com and looked up that episode and I got to watch it all the way through on my laptop. Pretty convenient, I think. I have trouble with NetFlix anyway.... they never send what you really want to see first. They seem to send your least preferred movie or last priority movie first and thats annoying.

I love Jeanne's card!!!! It is so cute!

Rita said...

You can find a lot of TV shows on hulu and other places online. I don't think I'd want to deal with that chimney business, either. And who's to say you'd have good reception from there?

That was nice of them to give you a voucher for some free items!! Oh, and nice cards, too.

I'm glad you are pretty much settled in. In general, this sure seems like a nice place to live! :):)

Toriz said...

Niki:
I had a look, and nope... The shows on Hulu can't be watched from over here. The Secret Circle is on there, but I can't watch it from on there; there should be something like it over here though... Just got to find it. :)

Rita:
Yes, somewhere out there will be a place where people in the UK can watch TV episodes online. ;)

I agree; that was nice of them... Free stuff is always good in general anyway! And, yes... Very nice card! :)

*Nods* It seems like a nice place to live so far anyway!

AliceKay said...

Yes, you do sound happy. :) I'm glad you're all moved in and everything seems to be going well for all of you.

(I'll go check out Kelly's post now)

Toriz said...

AK:
Thanks! :)

And, I hope you enjoy his post! :)

Intense Guy said...

Well, I know one thing for sure, Kero is really happy!!!! Smiles.

You've completed (almost) your move pretty quickly! So you need a CD shelf of some sort?

Gosh, Halloween will be here in no time at all - I better get moving on it - the only thing I have ready are cobwebs (and I've worked all year long on those).

Toriz said...

Iggy:
LOL @ your cobweb comment!

*Nods* Yep, I need a CD shelf; the old one wasn't going to make such a long move so was rehomed. My CDs are currently piled in a box beside the TV (because it seemed like a logical place to put the box, LOL!)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Oh, and... Yes, Kero definately seems happy! :)

That corgi :) said...

How neat to have mail waiting for you at your new home! That was sweet of your grandmother and Iggy/Jeannie to think ahead like that!! It does seem like you are getting settled in quite nicely! Enjoyed reading all about it!

betty

Toriz said...

Betty:
Yes, it was very sweet of them! :)

ChicagoLady said...

Sounds like you're really settling in well. Hopefully you'll find a website where you can catch some of the shows you won't see with the freeview box.

Toriz said...

Chicago:
Yes, we're settling in quite well! :)

Deanna said...

It sounds like this move has been a great choice for you and you seem so happy!

We've gone to a basic network package on our Tv and Netflix for movies. I just don't watch enough movies to justify any more than that!

I'm going to have to check out hula that others mentioned.

Deanna

Toriz said...

Deanna:
Yes; I think we made a good choice with the move! :)

I usually watch a lot of movies (hence all the movie reviews), which is why I was paying for the Sky (they have LOADS of movie channels, but you only get every single one if you have all the channels, really). But saving money is always good, and even if I get the unlimited Blockbuster subscription I'll still only be paying about a fifth of what I was paying for Sky! Then they wonder why I wasn't going to bother fighting to have my Sky dish, LOL! Like I said, I took it as a sign I should go with the cancelling Sky and find alternatives for watching my movies and shows; cheaper options too!

Serena said...

I think you're going to be very happy living where you are now, Tori. I think you're better off going with the Freeview box too.

How lovely to have a card from your Grandma waiting for you when you arrived and Iggy's card was very thoughtful too. Clever Jeannie!

You picked out some nifty things with the free voucher.

Good luck with the rest of the unpacking,

Serena :)

Toriz said...

Thanks Serena! :)