Friday, October 21, 2011

TV shows, Friday and food (FD)

I found somewhere online that allows you to watch episodes of TV series for free; somewhere that actually works over here. It's called TV Links, and it does have the "Secret Circle" show on it. I watched the second episode today, so now I'm only two episodes behind (episode four was the one that would have been on the TV Wednesday evening). The site actually offers quite a few TV series; some of them I haven't seen on TV in years! So now I have somewhere I can watch any TV shows that aren't shown on the channels the freeview box offers. YAY!

***

It's been quite chilly here the past few days, but nice and sunny; the type of weather that both reminds you of Summer and warns you that Winter is just around the corner at the same time. Proper Autumn weather I call it!

I've not been out today though. I'm not feeling too great (I think I'm just a bit run down from doing so much the past few weeks). Kelly took Kero out by himself earlier so I could have a day off from needing to do much. Sometimes you just need a rest day, and today is mine... If anyone doesn't like it, tough! I don't feel well, I'm hurting (hit my hip on a door handle and bruised it, hit my head on a wall - which might be the main reason I don't feel too well - and hit my knee on... Well, I'm not sure what I hit my knee on, but it hurt) and I deserve a day off to recover!

***

Last night for dinner I decided to try a recipe I found a little while back for pasta with pumpkin sage sauce (which is why I was up to my elbows in pumpkin yesterday). It was a very tasty recipe! I'm having the leftovers for dinner tonight.

Actually, I've been doing a lot of baking this week. Remember how I said I was making as much as possible from scratch? Well, I'm keeping my word!

Since we didn't do much for Mabon we decided to do a "Thanksgiving dinner" on Monday. Kelly had a glazed ham, and - since I don't eat meat - I had a stuffed butternut squash (I used only the stuffed butternut squash part of that recipe) and glazed parsnips (I glazed the parsnips with a glaze I'm calling a honey nut glaze). Our dinners were served with roast potatoes, carrots and sprouts.

Then, on Tuesday, I used Jazz's sandwich bread recipe to make some bread.

I made some large bread rolls:


(There were three rolls, but there are only two in the photo, because... Well, it smelled so good I couldn't resist having one as soon as they were out of the oven!)

And a couple of loaves of bread:


Officially the recipe was for white bread, but I wanted wholemeal bread, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it with wholemeal flour instead, and it seemed to work just fine. I think,, for my first time doing bread totally from scratch (no bread machine; I gave it to my Dad), I did great. I should have left it to proof a bit longer in the tin though, because my loaves aren't as big as they should have been. But it smells like bread, and it tastes like bread, so it works for me! ;)

I also made some plum jam using a jam recipe I'd had for a while:


I should have left it to cook a bit longer; it's a bit runny (it's more of a lumpy syrup than a jam, really), but it tastes good, and for my first attempt making jam I don't think I did too badly with it. Made quite a mess on the cooker though... Oops! Next time I know to cook it a bit longer, and to watch the temperature I have it on so it doesn't boil over (which is what caused the big mess on the cooker).

I also made some applesauce:


I made this after the jam, and had learned from the jam about cooking it a bit longer (and not having the pot up so high), so the applesauce worked great; it's the right consistancy, and tastes pretty good, so I'm happy with it. And Kelly is happier with it too; I didn't make such a mess with it, LOL!

And I hope to do a lot more baking in the future! :)

***

That's it for now; I'll try to keep up with your blogs, but I have loads of projects to do (holiday cards to make, stuff planned for Samhain, etc), so if I get behind again - since I only just caught up from last time, lol - sorry!

11 comments:

That corgi :) said...

All that delicious food! I can imagine your house smelled so "heavenly" with that fresh bread cooking!! I do think we all need a day off here and there to rest and moving is so stressful; glad you are taking a day just to relax and catch up!

betty

Rita said...

I agree! I was thinking how good the house smells when you bake bread and are doing all this cooking! Yummy!

There are times we need to just take days off to be kind to ourselves--yes! yes! You bonked yourself all over the place! Rest up!! :):)

Rita said...

Oh, and I'm glad you found that place online to watch the TV shows!!! :):)

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you found a site to watch the TV shows for free. Yay is right! :)

Sorry you're not feeling well today. Hope you feel better by the time you read this comment. It must be hard getting used to a new environment, tho. You have to learn everything all over again. Please be careful.

I'm with the others and the smell of freshly baked bread. Making me hungry just thinking about it. :)

You're doing great with the baking and making. Keep up the good work and your work will pay off in more ways than you might know. *hugs*

ChicagoLady said...

Wow, you've been a busy little beaver! Hope that knock on the head/hip/knee is feeling better soon.

Yay, you found a place to catch your show!

Magaly Guerrero said...

I am totally starving after reading your post. I think I'll have toast and jam--I don't even care much for the bread we have, but I need to have some jam lol

It has been chilly here too. I was all smiles when I got up this morning and realized the heat was on, yay!

Mmmm, jam!

Toriz said...

Betty:
*Nods* Absolutely! And after smelling it baking, eating that first roll... Well, it was wonderful!

Rita:
*Nods* Absolutely!

So am I! I've now watched episode 3 too; almost caught up! :)

AK:
Thanks; yes, it takes a bit to get used to new places... I'm getting there though! And, yes, I'm feeling better today. The one leg (the one I hit the knee on) is still a bit painful, but that one plays up on and off anyway, so never mind. Most of me doesn't hurt now, and I feel better after my rest day and a good night sleep! :)

Chicago:
Mostly it's better, thanks! :)

And, yay indeed! :)

Magaly:
LOL! Hope you got your jam; sorry you don't like your bread though... Hopefully the jam made up for it! :)

The weather today is making it perfectly clear Winter is coming; it's VERY cold!

Deanna said...

Shame on you Tori! All that food is making me hungry! I hope you don't have anymore run-ins with doors, etc. and that you are feeling much better.

Deanna

Toriz said...

Deanna:
Well, at least the fact the food is making you - and everyone else by the sound of it - hungry means it must look good! ;)

I always have run ins with doors and such, just not usually as many in one go as I've had recently... I think it's where it's such a new place. Anyway, I'm feeling much better today; I think it must have been from hitting my head that I felt so bad... That or I was just really tired and in need of a rest!

Diandra said...

That was a pretty busy day off. And yes, we are al lentitled to holidays, even from ourselves.

Baking bread... hmm, I loved to do it. Unfortunately the BF doesn't eat much bread, so it went stale every time I made some, and eventually I stopped altogether. Maybe with fall I should dig out more recipes and experiment until I find one that the BF loves as well. Or just make smaller batches.

Toriz said...

Diandra:
Maybe both? Make smaller batches, but try different breads. If you find one he'll eat too, next time make a bigger batch of that kind. Or, just do small batches anyway; bread is best fresh, so it's better - if you can - to make it every couple of days rather than making big batches once a week or something anyway. The recipe I used is meant to make two large loaves, but I only have a small loaf tin, so I had it make two small loaves and a couple of rolls. It was only for me (hubby likes homemade foods, but he wont eat wholemeal bread) and it lasted most of this week, so when I do it again in the next couple of days I'm going to do half the amount and just make a loaf and a roll or two and leave it at that, then do more later in the week. Like I said, bread's best nice and fresh anyway!