Friday, December 02, 2011

The Thirteenth Tale

The huge beast that was the wind blew its icy breath over the land, whipping the branches of the trees in to a frenzy and forcing the cascading waterfall of rain against the windows of my bedroom. I heard it hammering against the glass as though it was knocking frantically on the panes to be allowed to come in, "let us in," the rain drops seemed to beg, "it's so cold out here!" I ignored it though; I wasn't going to let the rain come in and drench the carpet. Besides, I was only half listening to the storm; something else had captured my attention, keeping me sat up on the bed listening intently as though doing so was the most important thing at that moment; as though my very life depended on knowing what would happen next.

If you read yesterday's post then you will know what had me so spellbound. Yes, it was a book. The book was sent to me by Magaly; she thought I'd enjoy it... She was right! And now I'm going to put you out of your misery and tell you what this book was that held me captive as the storm raged outside my window, and as November turned to December.

The book was "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. And I've even found a little about the book for you ; which I found on this site. So, here you go:

"Margaret Lea works in her father’s antiquarian bookshop where her fascination for the biographies of the long-dead has led her to write them herself. She gets a letter from one of the most famous authors of the day, the mysterious Vida Winter, whose popularity as a writer has been in no way diminished by her reclusiveness. Until now, Vida has toyed with journalists who interview her, creating outlandish life histories for herself --- ;all of them invention. Now she is old and ailing, and at last she wants to tell the truth about her extraordinary life. Her letter to Margaret is a summons.

Somewhat anxiously, the equally reclusive Margaret travels to Yorkshire to meet her subject. Vida’s strange, gothic tale features the Angelfield family; dark-hearted Charlie and his unbrotherly obsession with his sister, the fascinating, devious, and willful Isabelle, and Isabelle’s daughters, the feral twins Adeline and Emmeline. Margaret is captivated by the power of Vida’s storytelling, but she doesn’t entirely trust Vida’s account. She goes to check up on the family, visiting their old home and piecing together their story in her own way. What she discovers on her journey to the truth is for Margaret a chilling and transforming experience."

Thank you, Magaly, for sending me this book; I can see why you love it so, and I am very glad you decided to share it with me!

7 comments:

Diandra said...

You've got a marvellous storytelling voice. I could imagine myself sitting in the room with you, listening to the pleading rain.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I agree with Diandra, I saw the storm through your words and I felt the cold of the rain.

I had a feeling you would like The Thirteenth Tale. It has made me want to write. Here is one of my favorite quotes in the book: "Silence is not a natural environment for stories. They need words. Without them they grow pale, sicken and die. And then they haunt you." Vida Winter in The Thirteen Tale by Diane Setterfield.

Intense Guy said...

Given your "history" with the Leaf Monster, I can see how the rain pelting and pounding on the windows would "speak" to you - and you write of the scene with such descriptive power!!

The book sounds intriguing too! Can you imagine writing a letter to someone long dead and getting a reply? ...and then going to visit them? Now that part would be spooky!!

Who would you write to? :)

Rita said...

That does sound like an interesting tale!! I can see why you couldn't put it down. :)

That corgi :) said...

I too liked what you wrote about the rain/storm Tori! At first I thought that was part of the book until I realized you were describing the storm; very descriptive!

Book sounds like an interesting plot too! Glad you enjoyed it!

betty

AliceKay said...

You certainly know how to put words together to draw people in. Great opening to your post.

The book sounds intriguing. I know Iggy used that word, too, but that was the first word that came to my mind when I read the synopsis. I'm glad you enjoyed it and it helped get you thru the stormy night.

Toriz said...

*Blushes* Thanks all; I wanted to do the book justice, and I felt that just posting a synopsis and saying, "this is what I thought," just wasn't enough.

Mags:
Yes, that's a great quote! :)