Friday, February 10, 2012

New patient appointment

So, I had my "new patient appointment" for the doctor on Wednesday. Because of Kero's anxiety issues I had to go by myself; something I haven't done since before I lost the rest of my sight. It helps that we have a good taxi firm who are usually quite helpful, and who had no problem with dropping me off at and then picking me up from the reception desk on the correct floor of the building in which I was being seen. The receptionist was very helpful too, and I was quite impressed that she remembered me by name despite only having seen me once before (when we went to register).

Anyway, I'm sure you know the drill; blood pressure, weight, height, etc, all get checked.

First time they took my blood pressure it was 161 over 88, then it went down to 141 over 85, then 134 over 83. A bit higher than it should have been, but under the circumstances that wasn't too bad. To be honest, I actually expected it to be worse (it's been 170 over 90 quite often in the past).

As for my weight... I'm not as light as I'd have liked to have been when I went back to see a doctor, but I'm lighter than I was when I was last weighed by a doctor, even with the fact that last time I was given the oppertunity to remove my shoes, jacket and pocket contents (phone, wallet, etc) and this time I wasn't given time to do so. I knew I'd put back on a lot of what I'd managed to lose last year - that keeps happening; I lose some, I put most of it back on, I lose some, I put most of it back on, and so on - so I was actually pleased with what the scales said on Wednesday.

Anyway, that's that all sorted.

It's just a shame I forgot to ask them about refering me to an artificial eye person. *Shrugs helplessly* Ah well, it's not like that's urgent.

9 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I'm glad you got to the Doctors office and home again. Sounds like you had a several helpful folks - that taxi driver especially went beyond the call of duty (but not beyond the call of human courtesty).

I find my blood pressure is elevated somewhat when I get there (dealing with 10 miles of totally rude rush hour traffic will do that...) it usually comes down 10-20 or even 30 points while I'm there. It does seem so "variable".

*Hugs*

Toriz said...

Iggy:
*Nods* Now to hope they're as helpful at the dentist next week!

I think going to the doctor in general is stressful enough to bring someone's blood pressure up, LOL!

Rita said...

I'm so glad you have a helpful taxi service! And they sound so nice at the clinic. Glad you are done with that and all went well.

I wonder if Kero won't be quite as stressed when he gets used to Willow being there for company? Just a thought. May make no difference at all.

Anyways, glad that went well. :)

AliceKay said...

I'm glad your appointment went well. They all sound like wonderful,helpful people. There are actually some pretty nice people in this world. :)

I hope the dentist appointment goes well next week.

Serena Lewis said...

Glad to hear all went well with your check-up, Tori. How nice that those people, especially the taxi driver, were so helpful.

I hope you have a lovely weekend! xo

Toriz said...

Rita:
They're the same taxi service I used to go to school via when we lived in this sort of area when I was in my teens. I remembered them being good then, and hoped it was still the case.

I think if he was younger I'd try it. In fact, I know I would. The thing is though that he's very nearly 8, and we haven't had a dog make it to 9 in the family yet, so I'm extremely reluctant to try it.

AK:
That makes two of us!

Serena:
Thanks; you too!

Deanna said...

I'm glad you like your new Dr. And any loss is progress! Stay focused on keeping that off and keep doing what worked!!!!!

Toriz said...

Thanks Deanna! :)

LadyStyx said...

Drs are stressful enough, then add on the complications of getting around on top of it... definitely enough to boost the pressure points up farther than they should be.