Monday, February 06, 2012

YAY! Snow... Finally!

When we went to bed Saturday night the promised snow still hadn't come, despite all the times people had pointed out the snowclouds when we were out on our walks. I was actually starting to think we'd miss out on snow this year. That's why I didn't bother going out to check for snow when I let Kero out just before 7:00 am Sunday morning

Of course, since I didn't go out to check, it was only when Kelly opened the door to take Willow out a little over an hour later that I learned that there was snow!

I dashed out to see - dressed in PJs, a dressing gown and the flipflops I keep by the back door for if I need to slip something on my feet quickly - and discovered that there was, indeed snow out there. A couple of inches, in fact.

Here are a couple of photos we took of the snow covered cars:



OK, I know, it's only about 2 inches, but it was enough for me to throw a few snowballs for Willow to eat, and it was "real" snow. you know? The proper fluffy kind!

Some of the neighbours told me that when we get snow it doesn't stay more than "a day or so" before it melts in to slush. I'm assuming it's the salt in the air from the sea? Anyway, I know that's a common thing near the ocean, which is why I wasn't sure if we'd even get snow. But we did!

Kelly tried to take the dogs out (it's hard for me in the snow, since it's even more difficult for me than it is for most people to tell the difference between path and grass in the snow, and it's not easy for most people) but neither dog went far. I know in Kero's case it was because he wasn't sure he even wanted to be out in the snow; he thought Willow and I were mental for playing in it, and decided watching from the window was a much better idea. I'm not surprised; he decided last year he was too mature for such foolishness as playing in the snow. *Shrugs* If that's how he feels then fine; more snow for me and Willow to play in, LOL!

10 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

I have an image of Kero shaking his head in disgust as you and Willow play around in the snow lol.

So glad you got to play a bit in the cold!

Intense Guy said...

Yay! It snowed (over there!!)

I'm with Kero, I'll watch you and Willow frolic from inside... LOL!

:)

Deanna said...

Ditto what Iggy said! Enjoy your snow (and keep it!) Really, I hope you enjoy it. And really, I hope you keep it :)

Toriz said...

Mags:
LOL! Actually, it wasn't all that different to how you imagined it. ;)

Iggy:
Fine, then you can make the cocoa! LOL!

Deanna:
I don't think we'll be keeping it; it's already mostly gone (combination of salty sea air and sunshine). Feel free to send any you get my way though!

Rita said...

Hey! Look at that! I'm glad Willow is a willing participant in the snow foolishness. ;) I'm sure Kero is pleased, too, that he can just stay inside and watch through the window--LOL! You'll have to let us know if it does all melt away pretty quickly. I'm glad you got your snow, though!! :)

AliceKay said...

Yep, that's snow alright. I'm happy that you're happy that you have (had?) some snow. I'll stay inside with Kero, too. :)

ChicagoLady said...

I'm so glad you finally got some snow! It was Kero's loss then, and more fun for you and Willow.

I'm beginning to think winter is over already, but February can be worse than January sometimes. So I'm still expecting something between now and April.

Toriz said...

Rita:
Yeah, nice to have someone willing to play in the snow with me, LOL!

Yep, it melted pretty quickly. A little of it melted Sunday afternoon, then froze over night, so until yesterday afternoon we had a mixture of snow, slush and ice. By last night it was more like just slush and ice, and by this morning it was ice with a bit of slush thrown in. Still, at least we had some snow; even if it didn't stick around.

AK:
OK... So, let's see. If Iggy's in charge of cocoa, maybe you and Deanna can be in charge of snacks? Playing in snow is hungry worrk, after all! ;)

Chicago:
Hope you don't get anything too bad. I agree though; February is often the worst month. It's like Winter wants to go out in style!

Toriz said...

Rita:
I stand corrected; there's still some snow about. Mostly in places where the wind piled it up and the sun hasn't gotten to it yet, but still. I wish I'd known; I'd have taken the camera to the park when we took the dogs out not long ago to get some photos. OK, it's not covered in snow any more, but there's still definately snow at the park.

LadyStyx said...

and that would be about a couple inches more than we've had all winter. The half inch of ice that we got doesn't count because it wasn't a "proper" snow. Looks like the snow they were calling for this weekend is going to skirt north again....