Sunday, May 06, 2012

D is for Dog

What? I had to do dog too; can't forget Kero!

I really like dogs, but only one dog has ever been as special to me as my cats have been. And that dog is Kero.

I love that dog, and his behaviour tells me he loves me too.

I swear his Mother gave him to me when he was a puppy.

When I went to see him for the first time he was still a very tiny puppy. I'd seen photos, and knew which pup I wanted (the pup had a small patch on its nose where the fur didn't grow right). I was examining one of the puppies, when the breeder said, "you wont want this one, it's the runt," and pulled one of the puppies aside.

I put down the puppy I was holding, and asked her to give me the runt. She did (though reluctantly, and while looking at me as though she thought I was mad).

As soon as I looked him in the face, I knew he was my puppy. Not only did he have the patch I was looking for where the fur didn't grow right, but he'd been crying, and stopped the moment he looked at me.


While I was holding him, and she was trying to convince me the other puppies were better, their Mother came up and sniffed me.

"I'm going to have this one," I told the Mother while gently holding the puppy.

She sniffed him, sniffed me, sniffed him again, sniffed me again, then nuzzled him towards me and walked off.

I swear to this day that was her giving me permission to take him.

It was 6 weeks later before I finally could, by which time the teddy with my scent on that I'd given him had a rather chewed nose, and I learned quickly had worked too well. He was already so atatched to me that even taking the rubbish out without him resulted in him getting in such a state he set off every dog in the area.

Almost 8 years on, and he does a bit better. He still gets upset when I leave, and acts as though I was gone a year if I was gone only a minut. But at least he doesn't get in quite as much of a state as he did at first. And usually he only whimpers when I go now; howling is rare these days (which I'm sure my neighbours are pleased about, lol).

Yes, I did say almost 8 years on. And you know why?

It's because we have another celebration this month. On May 23rd, my baby boy will be 8!

And, yes, his birthday being the day after our anniversary was an accident. A wonderful one, since Kero was my first anniversary present. But an accident all the same.

I promised him a large rawhide bone for his birthday. Willow has one, and he keeps getting upset when she takes it back off him. So I promised him one of his own for his birthday. Bet he wishes his birthday would hurry up, LOL!

Oh, and if you're wondering... The fur still doesn't grow quite right on that patch on his nose. It's not as noticeable as it was when he was a puppy, but if you know where to look, you can see that one patch of his nose has finer and shorter fur on it than the rest of him. Only a very small patch though.

Also, though he was the runt, he's now one of the biggest West Highland White Terriers I've seen, coming in at about 31lbs and 12inches at the shoulder, which is the maximum size for a Westie according to the AKC (American Kennel Club).

7 comments:

That corgi :) said...

What a cute story about how you got Kero, Tori! He is a very special dog! Glad you were willing to take the runt; he has truly blossomed under your love and care!

betty

Autumn said...

I really love this story!

Toriz said...

Betty:
Thanks! :)

The very fact she was so sure I wouldn't want him made me want him more. I'm a sucker for the unwanted animals, and if she was so determined for me - who had pick of the litter - to have another puppy, what would have happened to him if others had listened to her? Besides, he was so cute!

Autumn:
*Smiles* I thought you might.

Intense Guy said...

I would say there were numerous signs that Kero was to be your dog and you his human. Smiles. Such a delightful story.

AliceKay said...

Wonderful story. Kero and you were meant to be together. :)

Toriz said...

Iggy & AK:
I agree! :)

Deanna said...

What a sweet story! We recently adopted a dog who had been shot and we couldn't love him more. Everyone who has met Shiloh has fallen instantly in love with him. Here is the story of how we got him:
http://teawithdee.blogspot.com/2012/03/shiloh.html