Monday, June 18, 2012

Fox on the path

Across the road there's a pathway that acts as a pedestrian only shortcut to some of the shops along the main road through the town. We use it to walk the dogs when it's late, or it's wet, or we just want a short walk for some reason.

Often when it's late we spot foxes and badgers along there. Because of this I've been nagging at Kelly to take the camera with him when he goes alone, and making sure to take it myself when I go with him.

Of course, every time we had the camera there were no foxes or badgers to be seen.

Finally, we got lucky and met a fox on one of the times we'd remembered the camera.

It even stayed there long enough for a photo:


And came a bit closer for us:


(Sorry for the photo quality; we can't remember how to work my camera's flash, and the only light was the streetlamp).

We know there are at least 2 foxes. Kelly's seen 2 together, and I've heard at least 2 foxes barking from different places at the same time.

6 comments:

Parsley said...

That is so COOL!

Rita said...

Foxes are such beautiful animals, but they do have a distinctive odor. When we were kids we had relatives we visited on their farm. He was like the wild animal whisperer! He had a skunk as a kind of free range pet that he'd rescued when it was little and injured. It wasn't fixed, but it never sprayed him and he could pick it up and carry it around when it stopped by to visit him. He also had an injured young fox for a few months till it was well enough to let go again. Gorgeous red fur, but quite stinky! LOL!
I hope you get a picture with the flash some day. :)

AliceKay said...

I would have run in the other direction. You know my history with foxes that get too close to me. lol

I took some video last night of a gray fox that was out in the field by Dad's woodpile. It had found something there and was eating it, but it didn't stick around long.

ChicagoLady said...

Very cool! It's been quite a few years since I've seen a fox anywhere around where I live.

That corgi :) said...

That is neat, Tori. I blew the pictures up and you can get a pretty good view of the fox! How neat with that and the badgers. Do they pretty much stay to themselves or do you have to watch out for them that they might go for you?

betty

Toriz said...

Glad you all enjoyed the photos. :)

Rita:
That's cool!

AK:
They ofen don't stick around long.

Betty:
Usually if you leave them alone they'll run off and leave you alone; generally they only go for you if you give them a reason to (by making them feel threatened in some way).