Monday, March 31, 2014
The highest level they gave was 12 books, but since I'd already planned to work on reading as many of the books I'd had on my to read list for ages as I could this year - with a few new additions thrown in from time to time - and I read a lot, my plan was to just see how many I managed before the challenge was over.
Well, today's the last day of the challenge, and I managed 50 books for it, as well as reading some that didn't count because I'd added them to my to read list too recently or they were re-reads, which I never count at all. Not bad, if I do say so myself!
Many of them have also been used for other challenges I've finished this year, but some were only used for this challenge.
Anyway, here's my list:
1. Blood Reaction by D.L. Atha (Added February 27th 2013; read January 1st 2014).
2. The Catalyst (Preternaturals, #3) by Zoe Winters (added July 13th 2012; read January 2nd 2014).
3. Life Cycle (Preternaturals, #4) by Zoe Winters (added July 13th 2012; read January 4th 2014).
4. Losing Agir by Liz Fisher-Frank (added February 16th 2013; read January 5th 2014).
5. The Little Book Of Bizarre Bedtime Stories by S P Feates (added February 13th 2013; read January 6th 2014).
6. Crime And Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (added March 14th 2013; read January 11th 2014).
7. The Trouble Upstream by A.L. Means (added July 7th 2013; read January 13th 2014).
8. Queen-A-Bella Finds A Best Friend by Lisl Fair (added March 3rd 2013; read January 14th 2014).
9. A Friend Like Annabel by Alan Davidson (added March 1st 2013; read January 15th 2014).
10. The Folklore Of Discworld by Terry Pratchett & Jacqueline Simpson (added January 19th 2013; read January 19th 2014).
11. The Adventures Of Tom Bombadil by J.R.R. Tolkien (added March 13th 2013; read January 20th 2014).
12. Master Stargazer by Kristopher Mallory (added March 19th 2013; read January 20th 2014).
13. Schoolgirl Apocalypse by John Cairns (added March 1st 2013; read January 21st 2014).
14. The Wishing Tree by Peter Nuttall (added March 7th 2013; read January 22nd 2014).
15. Millicent Marie Is Not My Name by Karen Pokras Toz (added February 26th 2013; read January 23rd 2014).
16. Finding My Molly (The Kitty Tales Trilogy, #1) by Peggy Krause (added March 9th 2013; read January 24th 2014).
17. The Scruffy Little Crumb Grabbers (The Kitty Tales Trilogy, #2) by Peggy Krause (added March 9th 2013; read January 25th 2014).
18. Wild Beau And Her Kittens (The Kitty Tales Trilogy, #3) by Peggy Krause (added March 9th 2013; read January 26th 2014).
19. Girl Perfect by Jo Jenkins (added February 12th 2013; read January 27th 2014).
20. Candy Wars: The Tooth Fairies vs The Candy King by R.G. Cordiner (added March 20th 2013; read February 7th 2014).
21. Candy Wars II: Sweet Revenge by R.G. Cordiner (added March 20th 2013; read February 7th 2014).
22. Cress (Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer (added January 5th 2013; read February 10th 2014).
23. King Of The Cloud Forests by Michael Morpurgo (added January 7th 2013; read February 11th 2014).
24. Innocent Hearts by Jess Mountifield (added January 16th 2013; read February 12th 2014).
25. The Ogre Of Ogrefort by Eva Ibbotson (added January 4th 2013; read February 14th 2014).
26. Raising Steam (Discworld, #40) by Terry Pratchett (added December 30th 2012; read February 15th 2014).
27. The Suitcase Kid by Jaqueline Wilson (added January 4th 2013; read February 16th 2014).
28. Vicky Angel by Jacqueline Wilson (added January 4th 2013; read February 16th 2014).
29. Mr Splendiferous And The Troublesome Trolls by Rosen Trevithick (added May 29th 2013; read February 17th 2014).
30. Dolphins Of Expedor by Paul Anthony Barker (added February 3rd 2013; read February 18th 2014).
31. Under The Lilacs by Louisa May Alcott (added December 30th 2012; read February 20th 2014).
32. Isabella Rockwell's War by Hannah Parry (added February 21st 2013; read February 21st 2014).
33. Love And Freindship by Jane Austen (added January 7th 2013; read February 22nd 2014).
34. Prince Caspian (The Chronicles Of Narnia, #2 or #4; publication and chronalogical order respectively) by C.S. Lewis (added December 30th 2012; read February 22nd 2014).
35. The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader (The Chronicles Of Narnia, #3 or #5; publication and chronalogical order respectively) by C.S. Lewis (added December 30th 2012; read February 23rd 2014).
36. Farmer Giles Of Ham by J.R.R. Tolkien (added March 13th 2013; read February 24th 2014).
37. The Silver Chair (The Chronicles Of Narnia, #4 or #6; publication and chronalogical order respectively) by C.S. Lewis (added December 30th 2012; read February 25th 2014).
38. The Last Battle (The Chronicles Of Narnia, #7) by C.S. Lewis (added December 30th 2012; read February 26th 2014).
39. King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (added March 14th 2013; read February 27th 2014).
40. The Last Hero (Discworld, #27) by Terry Pratchett (added December 30th 2012; read February 28th 2014).
41. Robin: Lady Of Legend (The Classic Adventures Of The Girl Who Became Robin Hood) by R.M. ArceJaeger (added February 22nd 2013; read March 8th 2014).
42. Harriet's Hare by Dick King-Smith (added January 4th 2013; read March 9th 2014).
43. Podwitch by Nick Poulton (added March 17th 2013; read March 11th 2014).
44. Charlotte And The Army Of Wolves by Kevin Barry (added July 8th 2013; read March 12th 2014).
45. Until Dawn by A.J. Diaz (added March 19th 2013; read March 13th 2014).
46. The End by Robert Bartlett (added March 20th 2013; read March 17th 2014).
47. Lauren Versus The Leprechauns by J Sevil (added January 10th 2013; read March 22nd 2014).
48. Year Of The Dead (Sustainable Earth, #1) by Jack J. Lee (added February 16th 2013; read March 25th 2014).
49. Death By Revelation (Sustainable Earth, #2) by Jack J. Lee (added February 16th 2013; read March 27th 2014).
50. Blood Fed Gods (Sustainable Earth, #3) by Jack J. Lee (added February 16th 2013; read March 29th 2014).
Sunday, March 30, 2014
Friday, March 28, 2014
Not the Rita I had an interview with, but my blog friend Rita, who posts at Soul Comfort's Corner and is the human slave of an entertaining and lovable kitty named Karma.
So, happy birthday, Rita!
Thursday, March 27, 2014
We've given him loads of flea treatments, bathed him in shampoo special for dogs like Westies that get skin irritation, and put anticeptic cream on his sores.
If anything he's biting and scratching at himself more now; he's making himself yelp and bleed.
So, we cancelled his grooming appointment - since we figured a haircut when he's so sore probably wasn't something he'd be too happy about - and we took him to the vet today.
The vet couldn't find any sign of fleas, so it looks like we got rid of those. And other than being covered in these sores he's perfectly healthy. He's even lost 1kg (2.2lbs) that he needed to lose.
That leaves us with two options. Either he made himself so sore while scratching from the fleas that he now has sores that are itching while trying to heal, so he's biting and scratching at them and making them worse. Or, he's managed to end up with one of the skin irritation issues Westies are known for getting, which could have happened from him scratching with the fleas, or could have happened at the same time but without the two things being connected.
Either way, he's got some antibiotics and steroid pills to take for a couple of weeks. The antibiotics are because - despite my efforts with the anticeptic cream - there's signs of infection in his sores. The steroids are to hopefully stop the itching (or, at least calm it down enough that he's not scratching and biting at himself all the time).
If it's sores from him scratching because of the fleas, we "should" see signs of them healing by the time the pills run out. If it's general skin irritation he may need to be treated for it for the rest of his life.
Monday, March 24, 2014
Check out my interview with Rita Lee Chapman at http://ritaleechapman.com/#/guest-authors/4575177469
Saturday, March 22, 2014
Anyway, here's my list, complete with the title of the book the character came from:
A - Annalice (Blood Reaction).
B - Beaver (The Trouble Upstream).
C - Cress (Cress).
D - Davran (Fuel To The Fire)
E - Elin (Girl Perfect).
F - Frankie (The Scruffy Little Crumb Grabbers).
G - Greybeard (The Wizard Of Crescent Moon Mountain: Elven Resurrection).
H - Havelock Vetinari (Raising Steam).
I - Isabella (Isabella Rockwell's War)
J - Jayden (Jayden & The Mysterious Mountain).
K - Kate (A Friend Like Annabel).
L - Liza (Innocent Hearts).
M - Millicent Marie (Millicent Marie Is Not My Name).
N - Nathan (Alloria)
O - Oily Pongbottom (Mr Splendiferous And The Troublesome Trolls).
P - Priscilla (Cinderella's Escape).
Q - Queen-A-Bella (Queen-A-Bella Finds A Best Friend).
R - Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov (Crime And Punishment).
S - Sakura (Schoolgirl Apocalypse).
T - Tamara (Life Cycle).
U - Ulf (The Ogre Of Ogrefort).
V - Vicky (Vicky Angel).
W - Woody (Legend Of Mace)
X - Xander (The Chariot Stone)
Y - Yusmuth (Elemental Cascade)
Z - Z (The Catalyst).
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
I finished the last book I needed to complete the challenge early this morning, so...
L - Legend Of Mace (Mace Of The Apocalypse, #4) by Daniel J. Williams (Read March 1st 2014).
E - Elemental Cascade (Fuel To The Fire, #3) by David Staniforth (read March 16th 2014).
P - Podwitch by Nick Poulton (read March 11th 2014).
R - Robin: Lady Of Legend (The Classic Adventures Of The Girl Who Became Robin Hood) by R.M. ArceJaeger (read March 8th 2014).
E - The End by Robert Bartlett (read March 17th 2014).
C - Charlotte And The Army Of Wolves by Kevin Barry (read March 12th 2014).
H - Harriet's Hare by Dick King-Smith (read March 9th 2014).
A - Alloria (Labyrinth Of Labyrinths, #1) by David Staniforth (read March 5th 2014).
U - Until Dawn by A.J. Diaz (read March 13th 2014).
N - Nanny McPhee And The Big Bang by Emma Thompson (read March 19th 2014).
Oh, and a belated happy St Patrick's day to you! :)
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
SCHOOL NIGHTZ ©MichelleCornwellJordan (NIGHTSCHOOL VAMPIRE HUNTER TRILOGY COMPILATION) Written by Michelle Cornwell-Jordan 3CM Media Release Date March 18th & GOTH-ROCK ARTIST CECILE MONIQUE’S Upcoming single Official song of School Nightz KINDRED ©CecileMonique (Inspired by the second novella in the series Kindred) Set to release March 2014
Buy the School Nightz compilation from http://www.amazon.com/School-Nightz-Vampire-Trilogy-Compilation/dp/1497354196/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395000907&sr=8-1&keywords=school+nightz+michelle+cornwell+jordan
Thank-you’s & Much gratitude! An Incredible Team!Special Thanks Editing Line Editing: HJ’s Editing Services (Digital & Print Edition Versions) Line Editing: Shamrock Editing (Erin Potter) (Digital Edition Version) JamieB Proofreading (Fiverr Gig) Polishing of Angel: Night School Vampire Hunter Trilogy novella#1: http://www.fiverr.com/jamiebwriter/proofread-your-short-story-or-novella--2 Authors Jamie White& C.P. Bialois editing Kindred: Night SchoolVampire Hunter novella#2 ************* BETA READERS Beta Readers: (The Avid Reader’s) Nancy Storey Allen and Author Victoria Zigler ************* GRAPHIC ARTIST/PHOTOGRAPHY School Nightz Print Edition The cover was created by the amazing (Amy Rooney-CVWriterDesigns) Website: http://www.courtneyvail.com/ Photography by the fantabulous (Tiffany McDonald- Anecdote Photography) Website: http://www.anecdotephotography.com/home.html Graphic Artist: Next Artist: Night School Vampire Hunter Trilogy) (Digital) Photography: Venickwa Penigar: (Night School Vampire Hunter Trilogy) (Digital) ************************* MODELS Models Brianna Jordan (Digital & Print Edition Versions) & Adam Becerra(Digital & Print Edition Versions)
RELEASE DAY GIVEAWAY!
March 18th-March 31st
Winner announced April 01stEnter Rafflecopter Giveway for a chance to win! Grand Prize winner: Signed Print Copy of SchoolNightz & the music single Kindred©CecileMonique! 1 Book winner: Signed Print Copy of SchoolNightz 1 Music winner of Kindred©CecileMonique! 1 Winner of a School Nightz Calender 2014 a Rafflecopter giveaway
*************************************************************************Michelle Cornwell-Jordan is a Young Adult/ New Adult author. Her titles include the Teen Paranormal novella series Night School Vampire Hunter Trilogy, (Print compilation School Nightz set to release March 18th). Full length novel, Teen Fantasy/Dystopian Chrysalis, (New Adult Novelette) Gothic Romance Tourmentin and a contribution to the HerStory Anthology (Pagans Writers Press) She is also the producer/host of the online radio segment, IndieReview Behind the Scenes, where she and her co-host Author Jamie White interview Indie authors and musicians. Michelle has been married for seventeen years and has a fifteen-year-old daughter. A book lover, her favorite genre has always been paranormal adventures. Author Links: Purchase titles by Michelle Cornwell-Jordan: http://www.amazon.com/Michelle-Cornwell-Jordan/e/B007MFT0MU/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1392308825&sr=8-2 Find out more about her on her website http://michellecjordan.wix.com/author#! Follow her on twitter at @mcjordan37 Fan her on FaceBook at IndieWritersreview YA blog http://www.facebook.com/pages/Indiewritersreview-YA-blog/243295842393117
SUPERHEROSNight School Vampire Hunter #Superhero Feature In the third novella #Redemption several new characters visited with the gang at Ame Academy! In a Special Reader Appreciation Feature which I hosted there were two wonderful readers of the series Author Victoria Zigler and (The Avid Reader’s) Nancy Storey Allen who participated by submitting their characters to be featured in the chapters marked Alliance. Both ladies retain full rights to the two characters Novite Felecia Grace Tyler submitted by Author Victoria Zigler and Novite Nanena Allen submitted by Nancy Storey Allen. Both ladies have given permission for the use of the characters. Although story content of Night school Vampire Hunter Trilogy and Alliance Chapters in Redemption (Night School Vampire Hunter Trilogy) Novella#3 Copyright ©2014 Michelle Cornwell-Jordan Illustrations completed by Illustrations created by Julia Antoinette Macaranas- Fiverr Gig: http://www.fiverr.com/iwillartforyou/art-paint-sketch-for-you *************************************** Redemption: Night School Vampire Hunter Trilogy novella #3 Novite Felecia Grace Tyler- creator Victoria Zigler 1st year Alliance Student Level: Novite/Warrior Class: WereLioness/Were Shifter Novite Nanena Allen- creator Nancy Storey Allen 1st year Alliance Student Level: Novite/Mystic Class: Tlaciques Witch/Vampire (Originate Mexico) Coming Soon! Hunter Series: Legends of the Eclipse (Illustrated Novel) Summer 2014 Origins (An Alliance Novella) Spring 2015! Series: Legends of the Eclipse (Illustrated Novel) Summer 2014 Angel And Rafael Join the Hunters Alliance on Face Book https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hunter-Alliance/288004677978367 Hunter Series Fan Club is a society of Teen and Adults (Hunters) brought together through the Night School Vampire Hunter Trilogy/Hunter Series novellas/books by Michelle Cornwell-Jordan. Join and have first peek at news and updates, plus sneak peeks from the author on her books and projects! Also receive updates from the Alliance Youth Service Club (Inspired by Night School Vampire Hunter Trilogy/Hunter Series Novellas)…check to see whether one of these awesome Community Service initiatives is in your area…or learn how to start one! Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org to get you name on the Hunter roster for some great deals! Check out the World of Bid’ABan (Home of the Alliance) on Pinterest! http://www.pinterest.com/indiewriters/the-world-of-bida-ban/ ****************************************** SPECIAL THANKS TO ALL THOSE THAT HELPED WITH TODAY’S BLITZ! All the authors and bloggers and special, special thanks to Tonya over at Follow the Blitz here: http://tonyaloveslife.wordpress.com/2014/03/12/signup-releaseblitz-musicshowcase-michellecornwelljordan/
Sunday, March 16, 2014
Our degu boys are all from the same litter, so they share a cage. It's a large one with three levels and a sort of look-out ledge. They also have two bowls, because they have a habit of sitting in the bowl and making it difficult for the others to get at the food, so having the two bowls means they actually stand a chance of all getting at the food. The bowls go on the top level, because it's easier for me to access them without the degus escaping when I'm grabbing the bowls (not that this is fool-proof, since degus are rather bright rodents, but it's harder for them to escape out of the top opening than out of the doors on the front). The thing is though, they move their stuff around, so although I put the bowls away from the opening leading to the ramp down to the next level, the bowls don't stay away from that opening. Anyway, the other day one of the degus was sat on the edge of one of the bowls near the opening at the top of the ramp. He must have shifted his weight wrongly or something, because the next thing we knew the bowl had flipped over. The bowl tumbled down the ramp, and the degu was just quick enough to grab the edge of the opening and swing himself back up on to the top level, where he stood looking down in confusion at the bowl below him, obviously puzzled about what had happened.
We heard a bit of a squeaking argument going on near the degu wheel and looked over to see what was going on. It turned out that one degu was trying to run while another tried to use the wheel as a grinding stone for his teeth. The one trying to run was getting really annoyed with the one trying to grind his teeth, because it was making it very difficult for him to run.
When we brought the gerbils home and put their cage near the degus' cage, the degus ignored them at first. But then, a few hours later, one of the degus was in the sand bath when he caught sight of movement from the gerbil cage. He sat in the sand bath staring for a moment, raced up the ramp to tell one of his brothers and try and get him to come see (he wouldn't come) and then raced back down the ramp and dove in to the sand bath to resume staring at the gerbil cage. Then he started trying to dig through the side of the sand bath to get to the gerbil cage. It didn't take too long before he figured out he was getting nowhere though, so he gave up and lost interest.
Our gerbils share a cage too, since they're both from the same litter. They have a cage with a large bottom area for digging and tunneling in, then two other levels with ramps to access them. They're happy to share a bowl, but they have two houses because gerbils like having lots of places to hide. Bilbo was in one of the houses arranging things, since he loves to do that, and Baggins was looking for him. When he poked his head out to see what was happening outside, Baggins spotted him and leaped on him, knocking him backwards.
Another time, we gave the gerbils a cardboard tube to play with. We put it on the top level of their cage, and Bilbo patiently rolled it down both ramps to the bottom where he could chew it up for nesting materials. Much to his annoyance, Baggins decided it had been put in the cage for him to run through, so poor Bilbo had to keep stopping to let Baggins run through it as he couldn't carry or roll it with his brother inside it.
When we put some hay in the gerbil cage the other day, Baggins dove in to the hay pile like a child would do with a pile of leaves.
Bilbo obviously got fed up of running up and down the ramp with his cheek pouches full of food, because he decided to try and take the whole bowl of food down with him. Never mind the fact the bowl is big enough for him to climb in, or the fact it's actually attached to the side of the cage. Needless to say, it didn't work very well, and the bowl stayed put.
Kero wants to be friends with everyone, and tries to say "hi" to the degus and gerbils. When they actually come over to the bars of their cages to see him, he's so happy you'd swear he'd just been given the best gift in the universe.
When we give Kero a treat, he often puts it aside for later. Then he forgets where he put it. When he found a treat left on his bed the other day he started throwing it up in the air and catching it again, tail wagging frantically. He was the one who'd put it there a little while before, but from the way he was acting you'd swear we did it secretly while he was out in the yard or something.
Saturday, March 15, 2014
Friday, March 14, 2014
Thursday, March 13, 2014
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
Monday, March 10, 2014
"Based on the well-known story of ‘Little Red Riding Hood’ but with no big bad wolf to eat Grandmother, nor woodcutter to save her, ‘Goodies For Grandmother’ tells the story of a little girl in purple, a sick Grandmother, a naughty little brownie, and a clever little fairy."
This is the synopsis for another of my books. It's called "Goodies For Grandmother" and is officially released today!
This is the one I mentioned that was posted on my blog here before, but which has had a fair bit of editing since then. If you want to read the original version then you can do so by searching my archives for the post it's in, but if you'd prefer the most recent version you'd be better off buying this book, LOL!
It's already available via Smashwords and a couple of other sites, and will be available elsewhere soon.