Monday, January 11, 2016

Of dolls, resolutions, storms, and birthdays

I don't do new year's resolutions.

The first year I was allowed to stay up to see in the new year, my brother, Carl, told me about how people generally made new year's resolutions. I'd just turned nine at the time, and he'd just turned ten. After explaining what a new year's resolution was to me, he asked me if I was going to make one.

"I'm going to resolve to do better at doing what Mami and Dadi say, when they actually say to do it," I replied.

"That's silly," he said. "You're supposed to make important resolutions, like being more healthy and that kind of thing."

"If I can't make the one I want to make, I'm not making a resolution at all," I vowed.

So, here's a question for you: since I don't make newyear's resolutions, have I kept that resolution I made at the age of nine for more than 20 years? Or does the very fact I made it mean I broke it the moment I made it?

Either way, I haven't made one since.

Sure, I've had some goals I've set for things I want to achieve by a certain point in the year, or things I'd like to have happen that year. But not once have I made an actual resolution on new year's eve.

Other than my writing and reading goals - which I already told you about in other posts during this past week, so won't repeat here - I don't really have any goals for this year though.

How about you? Did you make a new year's resolution this year? Or, a list of life changes, or goals for the year?

We're nearly two weeks in to the year now, so... If you did... How are you doing so far? Have you kept to the resolution? are you managing to take the steps you need in order to make the life changes stick, or reach your goals for the year?

***

I finnished the doll I was making around Christmas. So, here she is:


I brought a little hand held sock loom to try and make some knitted socks for myself, but I couldn't work it. It was too tricky to do without being able to see what I was doing, and all I achieved was a lot of frustration and a tangled piece of wool. So, I decided that wasn't for me, and am going to use the wool I have in some other way.

***

The weather continues to be extremely stormy, but no more snow has shown up.

I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of snow, since I really do love snow. But at least the storms are great to listen to, and you should hear and see the ocean... It's been really rough!

In fact, here are a couple of photos of it, so you can at least see it. This wasn't one of the worst times either... Just an idea of an average view of the ocean in the past couple of months...



***

It was my Auntie Lizzie (Grandma's sister)'s birthday on January 6th, and my Nan (Dad's Mother)'s birthday on January 8th.

Nan certainly won't read this, though there's a small chance Auntie Lizzie might. But I'm going to say it to them both anyway... Happy belated birthday wishes to you, Auntie Lizzie, and Nan!

7 comments:

Jeanie said...

Your doll is absolutely adorable! Good use of the wool, too! I have one finished sock and one that is permanently stuck at the heel. I should do something with the good one!

No resolutions for me but I do have goals. One was to meet three bloggers in person I'd not met before and I'm one third of the way! Another is to equal or increase my 60-book limit this year. Another is to take at least three in-person art classes this year (Southern Exposure workshops don't count -- that's a different category). I'm signed up for one. And a goal to focus more on my art journal on a regular basis even if it isn't my best work -- at least do something.

We'll see.

Intense Guy said...

The doll is wonderful!

And the stormy sea photos are excellent too! Goodness I bet the winds and the waves make a real racket at times!

I didn't make resolutions - haven't in a long time. A blogger friend calls hers "visions" - laff - I suspect it's all the same.

Have you been doing what your dad or mami tells you to do? Smiles. I suspect by now, it should be the other way around!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Thanks about the doll. Those are great goals, and I'm glad you're well on the way to achieving them. If you can make it over to somewhere near me in England some time this year, I'd be happy to be one of your three blogger friends you meet this year.

Iggy:
Thanks about the doll. I'm glad you liked the ocean photos. Yes, it can get quite noisy at times. I like hearing it though... It's oddly comforting, even when it's really rough. I was good at doing as I was told until I was a teenager, if that counts for anything... On the day I turned 13, my Mam told me to go back to being 12, because she liked me better then. My serious attitude lasted until I was about 18, and then I got better at listening again.

Rita said...

Sweet doll! :)

I gave up resolutions decades ago. I used to make them and folded pretty rapidly under the pressure of always biting off more than I could chew--LOL! For years I have made a yearly goal list, but it is really just a list of things I want to do (mostly make or techniques to try) to keep around so I don't forget. Just a big to-do list. I know I will never get to it all so they're not like resolutions. I know full well that when I add some of the things I might not get to them for a couple years--LOL! I just update the ongoing list every year. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Thanks about the doll.

I like your way of doing it... A yearly to-do list sounds like a great idea, and a good way to organize your thoughts as you head in to the new year.

Deanna said...

I prefer to think of them as goals rather than resolutions. Resolutions sound so cut and dried, with little wiggle room. I do have goals for this year, the most important being to improve my health. I'm trying to get on the treadmill every day, drink more water and get more sleep. So far, I'm doing pretty well.

Victoria Zigler said...

Deanna:
Goals to improve your health are a good thing, and I'm glad you're doing well with them so far.