Monday, March 21, 2016

Of Munchkin, Trumps, and time with family (FD and kinda LBE)

OK, time for a post about the rest of my trip to Wales...

The original plan, when it was decided a little over a week before I actually went to Wales that I'd be going, was for Kelly to travel with me as far as London, and then put me on the last train, before he headed back to take care of the rodent gang, since he wasn't joining me for the trip to Wales (someone needed to stay home with the rodent gang, after all). It would have meant a train up to London, a cab ride across London, and another train from London to the station closest to where my parents live. Dad was then going to pick both my brother, Carl, and me up from the station, since Carl was travelling from Norwich at the same time. Dad was then going to drop me off with my Mam, where I'd stay until some time on the Saturday (apart from a short while on the Friday afternoon, when Mam was taking me to see my other brother, Wayne, and his dog, Maya... I think she's aStaffordshire Bull Terrier crossed with a Whippet). Carl and I would then both be with Dad until some time on the Sunday - since we were going with him to the party, and the party was the Saturday evening - at which point Carl would go and spend some time with Mam, while I stayed with Dad. We would both be with Dad again Monday evening ready for Dad to be taking us both home on the Tuesday by car.

But it didn't happen like that. Not for me, anyway... Carl's journey went as planned, but mine didn't.

My Mam drove down here on the Wednesday with her English Cocker Spaniel puppy, Ebonie, and stayed here the night. Then Mam, Ebonie and I made what turned out to be a very long car journey back to Wales. It was so long because my Mam ended up getting sick early Thursday morning, so we had to make more stops along the way than we otherwise would have done; the journey back with Dad took maybe half the time. I then went to my Dad's place early on Friday because of my Mam being so sick, and Carl and I both stayed with Dad all weekend. Wayne came up to see us on the Sunday, and Carl and I spoke to Mam with our mobiles a bit, but neither Carl or I saw Mam until Tuesday morning when Dad took us to say "goodbye" as we were heading for home. As it turned out, I didn't get to meet Maya, but at least I got to see both my brothers, as well as my parents and my Nan.

So, yeah... It was a good trip for the most part, but it didn't work out quite as planned, and had parts that didn't go smoothly at all. Plus, it was a shame about Mam being sick, and me and Carl not getting to meet Maya.

Even the plans for food didn't go entirely as planned in the first couple of days.

The original plan had been for me to have some of my Mam's quiche with chips (fries) and baked beans Thursday evening. But I ended up grabbing a vegetable pasty on the way back to Mam's place, and just had the piece of quiche on its own when I woke up Friday morning. Then I had dinner at Dad's instead of Mam's on Friday, and Carl brought us all take-away from a really nice place not too far from where Dad and Nan live. Not only was the food excellent, but the portions were big enough that a large portion of chips was enough for the four of us to have a decent amount. Plus, they not only have a pretty good vegetarian selection, but can also offer a 100% guarantee that the chips aren't cooked with any meat or fish (which you can't guarantee in most chip shops). I had my share of the chips with pea fritters and curry sauce.

After that, things went more to plan with food.

On Saturday we ate party food, and Sunday Dad cooked a roast dinner that consisted of roast potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, carrot and swede mash, and sprouts (with pork for those who ate meat, which was everyone but me). Then I brought us all take-away on Monday, so we all had Indian food. Mine was a mild vegetable curry with chips. Yes, more chips. I could have had rice, but I didn't want to. I really do love my chips!

Anyway...

My Dad has this drinks machine similar to the ones coffee shops have. It's pretty cool actually. He has loads of different drinks for it (mainly types of coffee, I think) and also uses it to boil just the amount of water needed to fill a cup to make tea. I mainly drank different kinds of teas while I was there, with the odd mug of Wispa hot chocolate thrown in when I fancied some cocoa. But I also had a sample sip of a vanilla latte. I'm not really a coffee person... OK, I actually hate coffee... But Dad offered me a sip to try it, so I figured I would. It tasted a bit better than regular coffee, but I still didn't think too much of it, and plan to stick to my tea and cocoa. At least I can say I tried it though. I've also tried a cappuccino in the past, which I also thought wasn't anything special, though have to admit it tasted better than regular coffee. Not by enough to make me want to drink it on anything close to resembling a regular basis though. But, again, at least I can say I tried it.

***

Carl and Nan (Dad's Mother) often play Knock-Out Whist (also called "Trumps") when they're together. I haven't really played much cards beyond Klondike Solitaire, Go Fish, and Snap, so they taught me how to play.

I got really lucky with it, and ended up winning a lot of the games. Nan won a lot too, but Carl only won once. We all enjoyed playing it though.

Carl also introduced us to the Munchkin card game, which he has the Munchkin Accessability Kit for. We also downloaded the QR reader on to my iPhone, so that I could use it to read my own cards. But since using it is a slow process, and since Carl was showing us how to play it so it was easier if we actually knew each other's cards in this situation, Carl and I allowed others to read the bits of the cards the QR reader is needed for instead of messing about with the app. It's really cool that the option to use the app, and make the game fully accessable to the blind, is there though. So, thanks for that 64 Ounce Games!

My luck wasn't so good with this one, and I didn't win a single game. The first time, Carl, Wayne, Nan and I played, and Carl won. The second time it was Dad instead of Wayne, and Dad won. The third game I didn't play, because I went for a nap instead, and Nan won that one. Anyway, it was a fun and very amusing game. I'm not sure I'd want to play it all the time, but I would play it again, it was certainly a great one, and it was nice for a change of pace.

***

So... That was my visit to Wales.

At least, all that's worth mentioning but isn't covered in other posts, like my post about the party last week, my post about the creative writing app on Wednesday, and the movie and TV shows I plan to tell you about on Monday (when I tell you about others I watched in the past month).

I came back exhausted and not feeling too well, so spent the first week after I got back doing little more than eating, sleeping, and trying to catch up on things online. The second week wasn't much better. After that I was back to what passes for normal for me though. Luckily, I was prepared for the tiredness at least, so had plenty of posts I could fall back on for my blog while I rested and recovered, since I set up some posts before I went away for while I was away, and about a week after I got back.

7 comments:

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you're feeling better finally, but it sounds like a jam-packed trip. No wonder you were so tired! Even when things level out, it's sometimes hard when the original plans of the trip change so much, and having your mam sick sure wasn't fun for either of you.

But I'm glad it worked out overall and that you're back home, getting rested and on your way! (I'm not a coffee fan, either. I would have given that one a pass!)

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Jeanie!

Intense Guy said...

Shame you didn't get the train ride!! I hope your Mam is feeling all better now.

I'm glad YOU are feeling better!

Intense Guy said...

P.s., how is Ebonie? She growing bigger?

Rita said...

Sounds like you had quite a trip! Even though everything didn't go as planned, you had a lot of fun and got to see family. Any trips take me a long time to recover from these days. But what a great trip! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Yeah, shame about the train ride.

Yes, Mam is doing better.

I swear Ebony grew just between when I left Mam's on Friday morning, and when we stopped in to say "goodbye" on Tuesday morning! Anyway, she's doing well... Or, she was when I spoke to my Mam yesterday morning.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Even short outings tire me out these days, so I wasn't all that surprised by needing a lot of rest after I got back. Of course, getting sick on top of being tired - possibly even because of it - meant I needed longer to rest.

But, yeah, it was a fun trip. :)