Sunday, April 03, 2016

Reading Addicts October to December 2015 Challenges

I'm quite late posting this, because I was waiting for the awards, which were delayed by the person in charge of them having some really bad health issues, and nobody else being in a position to pick up the slack for her. I can understand complications and delays caused by health issues like that, so I'm making no complaints about it. I'm simply telling you so you know why I'm so behind on posting about these challenges.

However, the person is still having health issues, and the awards are still not created, so I'm just going to go ahead and post this. I'll post the awards when she gets to them. I can just link back to this post in the post they go in.

Anyway...

The October reading challenge on one of the groups I'm a member of over on Goodreads, was to complete at least one of the following:

1. Read 2000 pages.
2. Read a book that has Halloween in the title, and or a story that has Halloween in it.
3. Read a book that made you laugh, or cry.
4. Read a book that has an unexpected twist.
5. Read a story that ends on a cliffhanger.

For number five, I read "Pathfinder Legends — Mummy's Mask #1 The Half-Dead City" by Paizo Inc. (the first in a new series of audio dramas, which Paizo are releasing, based on the adventures in their Pathfinder roleplaying system). Trust me, if it was a TV series, the words "to be continued" would have so been on the screen at the end! I actually sort of hate cliffhangers. I mean, I understand why they're used... And know they work... But they still frustrate me. Yes, even though I know any roleplaying adventure would have them as you complete each part of it.

I read "RENOVO" by Geoffrey Wakeling for number five; you never know what will happen next in Geoffrey Wakeling's books!

I also read "When the Lights Go Out - Ink Slingers' Halloween Anthology" by Joleene Naylor, DM Yates, Maegan Provan, Tricia Drammeh, Anne Franklin, L.C. Cooper, Rami Ungar, Barbara G. Tarn, Russ Towne, Yawatta Hosby, C.G. Coppola, Adan Ramie, Bonnie Mutchler, Carolyn Cason, Christopher Mitchell, Jason Gilbert, Nikki Hess, Roger Lawrence, Sean Morain, and Terry Compton. It's an anthology of creepy Halloween stories, so counts for number two both because of the mention of Halloween in the stories, and because it has Halloween in the title.

Plus, I read "The Shepherd's Crown" (Discworld, #41; Tiffany Aching, #5) by Terry Pratchett for number three; it both made me laugh and cry. I laughed because it was full of the entertaining and amusing scenes all the Discworld novels contain, and I cried because it's the last book, as well as because of a certain scene not too far from the start, which anyone who has gotten to know and love the Discworld characters would cry about. I'm not saying what it is though, because I don't do spoilers; anyone who's read the book will understand, I'm sure.

I'm also as positive as I can be without sitting down and counting pages, which I don't want to do, that I read the 2000 pages mentioned in number one. How do I know this if I didn't sit down and add up the pages? Well, I know several of the books I read during October were 400 pages or longer, from seeing the page counts while doing the ratings on Goodreads, and since I can be 100% certain that this is the case for at least five of the books I read, plus I read several other books of lengths I'm not as sure of afterwards, I'm positive I reached the 2000 page mark. Besides, you all know I read a lot, so it's not difficult to imagine how likely it is for me to read 2000 pages, is it?

So... Yeah... I think I had the October reading challenge covered.

The November reading challenge on the same group was to complete at least one of the following:

1. Read 1500 pages
2. Read a book with an animal on the cover
3. Read a new released book (One that has been released in November)
4. Read two books with the main character having the same name. (So if the main character is Luke in one book than read another book that has the main character called Luke)
5. Read a book that you rate 5 stars.

So, which ones did I do?

I read "Pathfinder Legends - Mummy's Mask, chapter 2 Empty Graves" by Cavan Scott, which I rated five stars, so that counts for number five.

I also read both "The Vampire Prince" and "Hunters of the Dusk" (Cirque Du Freak, #6 and #7) by Darren Shan, which obviously both have a character named Darren in them, since they're part of the same series following the character of Darren Shan. So, they count for number four.

That was enough for me to say I completed the challenge, since the rules say "at least one" item from the list, and I completed two of them. So, at that point I called it done, and didn't bother doing any more for the November challenge.

And then there was the December reading challenge for the same group, which was to complete at least one of the following:

1. Read a book with snow in the story, or on the cover
2. Read a book that has Christmas in it
3. Read a book with a book cover that has the colors Red and white on it.
4. read 1500 pages
5. Read a book that has new year celebration in it

For this one I read "The Entirely Strange and Miraculously True Christmas Tails of MIA and Eve" by Rob Duder, and "Merry Christmas, Mister Wolf" by Steph Bennion, which I counted for numbers one and two respectively. They technically both worked for either one, since they're both Christmas stories featuring snow, but the snow is real in Rob Duder's book, so I think that one should be the one used for the snow book (the snow in Steph Bennion's book is artificial).

As with the November challenge, I called it done after doing those two, since they were enough to say I completed the December challenge.

As I said, this is from the group where we usually get badges. So, I'll post the badges whenever they end up being created, and link back to this post when I do. I have absolutely no idea when that will be though.

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

I don't see how you have the time to do all this -- what an impressive collection of books and reading. Bravo to you. I bow down!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I don't get out much, and spend most of my time either writing, reading, watching TV, working on craft projects, sorting stuff online (blogs, social media, e-mail, etc) or doing housework, with the odd roleplaying game thrown in from time to time. Since I generally have a book or movie on while I do housework or work on crafts, I get some extra time for reading and TV time while I'm doing those things. I don't go out much, and sometimes I don't sleep well. It all adds up, basically.

Intense Guy said...

I'm not too fond of cliffhangers either - ever since the days of Batman on TV with the "stay tuned!!!"

You needn't worry about ever running out of things to read!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Yeah... Cliffhangers are annoying in TV shows too.

That's true. There are certainly enough books out there to keep me supplied with new reading materials, and with new ones coming out all the time, there's no need for me to worry about running out of things to read.