Saturday, June 18, 2016

R.I.P. Jasper

Around 8:30pm today (Saturday, June 18th 2016) we lost one of our degus.

The degu in question was Jasper... My food loving, storm sensative little degu buddy.

I'm not entirely sure what happened. He was fine this morning. Yesterday he even gave me his customary advanced warning of the coming storm. Then, like I said, he was fine this morning... I fed him Cheerios at breakfast time. In fact, he was fine this afternoon too. But this evening we found him lying in the degus' nesting box, ignoring our attempts to offer him nibbles. On closer inspection, we realized he was struggling to breathe. We couldn't find any reason for this... His airways were clear, etc. He was just not breathing properly, and all I could do was hold him in my arms while he gasped out his last breaths.

Rest in peace little degu buddy, and know you will be missed; I'll think of you every time there's a storm.

R.I.P. Jasper
March 9th 2013 - June 18th 2016.

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

So sad Hugs, hugs and more hugs.

Diidii said...

Aww sorry to hear that. We lost one of our Guinea piggies the same way last year. Was fine - then not fine:(

Rita said...

Rodents, fish, and birds, especially, never seem to let on if they are sick till the last possible moment and often seem to have sudden deaths. I think it keeps them safer in the wild, you know. So sorry to hear that. :( *hugs*

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Thanks! *Hugs*

Diidii:
Thanks! Sorry to hear about you losing your guinea pig last year.

Rita:
Thanks! *Hugs* Yes, they wouldn't want predators seeing them looking sick and weak. Unfortunately, it means it's often too late to do anything by the time they let us see they're sick. At least I was with him at the end...

Jeanie said...

Oh, I am so very, very sorry. They worm your way into your hearts, don't they, our animal companions. I know he must have felt safer moving on as he was nestled in your loving arms.

Sending hugs. Lots of them.

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Jeanie!