Wednesday, June 15, 2016

#Writing Wednesday - June 15th 2016 (FD)

As a general rule, my stories fall in to one of three catagories: animal stories, fairy tales, or fantasy stories.

I did stray away from that with my "Toby's Tales" series (which, if you don't know, is a series about a little boy adjusting to life after sight loss) and with both "Vinnie The Vegetarian Zombie" (which, if you can't figure it out by the title, is a zombie story) and "The Forgotten Angel" (which, if you don't know, is a story where inanimate objects come to life; an angel ornament, a bear, and a toy soldier). But, as a general rule, if I'm not writing poetry, I'm writing in one of the three above mentioned catagories; often with an overlap, since animals feature in some of the other stories too. I mean, out of the 46 titles I've published, six are poetry collections, seven are the ones I just mentioned in this paragraph (there are five "Toby's Tales" books) and the other 33 - that's 33 including the story I published as part of an anthology, by the way - fall in to one or more of those three catagories.

However, this year I'm straying from my usual catagories again, since I've written my first ever science fiction story, as well as my first ever piece of historical fiction.

The science fiction story is the story I mentioned having first created as a pece of flash fiction back in February (if you don't remember, don't worry about it). It's called "Jeffrey The Orange Alien" and is about an alien who thinks it will be great to visit Earth, except his visit doesn't go quite as he planned. Jacob did the cover for me a couple of weeks ago, so I'll pre-release it as soon as it's been through the proofreading stage, and the file is formatted ready for uploading.

The historical fiction piece I mentioned having written is called "Eadweard - A Story Of 1066" and is a story about the Battle Of Hastings. This year marks its 950th anniversary, so I've written a story in honour of that, which I plan to publish on the actual anniversary of the battle, this coming October. It's in the revision stage at the moment, having just been read by a beta reader who is generally reliable when it comes to historical facts (something I know from knowing him as a person) and is a writer himself. So once that's done, and it gets its edits and such, I'll be able to pre-release it for the date that is the actual 950th anniversary of the battle, since I already have a cover ready for it, thanks to Iggy, who created the cover for me earlier this month.

I'm also in the very early stages with the first drafts of a couple of other stories. But they aren't far enough along for me to be talking about them just yet. After all, at this stage, I don't know the whole story myself.


How about you? If you're a writer too, how's your writing going?

On a similar theme to my update on my own writing, here's a great post about not allowing fear to stop you growing as a writer.

Regardless of your chosen age level or genre, are there barbarians in your story? If so, here are 7 tips for writing about barbarians, which will help you bring your barbarian characters to life.

Also, if you're putting together - or contributing to - an anthology of stories or poems, here's a post that gives a little advice on making sure the anthology flows well.

***

Check out these tips many authors may practice, but won't admit to doing. I'm not ashamed to admit it... I do number one every chance I get. I'd love to do number four more often too... There are plenty of cafes nearby I could go sit in, including a few that look out over the ocean. But I don't do more than make a few notes when I'm out and about, because it's more difficult when technology or bulky braillers are required. Sure, I could use the notes function on my iPhone or Kindle (preferably iPhone, since it's easier to use, in my opinion). But they're only good for short pieces, since the touch-screen keyboard slows me down, and makes writing more than a short message frustrating. If I didn't have that problem, you can bet I'd make it a regular thing to go sit at one of the nearby cafes to write, and probably spend hours there with something to drink and my writing supplies... Plus the odd cookie, cake, or other kind of snack, of course! In fact, just last week I was tweeting about how I wished I could be sat down on the beach doing my writing, because the weather was so beautiful I wanted to be out there, enjoying it while I wrote. I did have the sun - and the breeze from the ocean - coming in from my open window right beside my computer. But I still would have liked to be out on the beach, or at one of the seafront cafes, instead.

Anyway... On the subject of your writing taking you somewhere other than your home.... If you ever find yourself lucky enough to be doing a temporary author/artist residency, here are some great tips to help things run smoothly.

On the subject of tips... Before I end today's post, I'll leave you with some tips for using Twitter, which are mostly aimed at authors using Twitter, but most of which can actually apply to anyone who uses Twitter.

2 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Imagine what it was like at the very spot you are now - 950 years ago?

There would be nothing much at all at the spot I am at - perhaps a tribe of native Americans wondering through.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Most of what is now here certainly wasn't back then. Also, I happen to know that even the coastline itself would have been a little different.