Wednesday, June 08, 2016

#Writing Wednesday - June 8th 2016

The poetry collection I've been promising you since the start of this year is finally coming!

It's called "The Ocean's Lullaby And Other Poems" and is scheduled for official release on July 9th 2016.

The collection is longer than originally planned, since I wrote about a dozen more poems while attempting to get a good enough photo for the front cover (which I ended up not doing anyway, but luckily Iggy was able to help me out). I'm sure nobody will complain about having more poems in the collection though. At least, I would hope not... I know I wouldn't if I was the reader.

Anyway... It's pre-released now, and you should be able to pre-order it from sites like Barnes & Noble and Apple iBooks soon. That is, if you can't already do so, which you may be able to, since it was accepted for distribution on Monday.

I'll soon have a couple of stories ready too. But I'll tell you about those next week.

***

So, you want to be a writer too? Then write!

"It's not that simple," I hear you say.

Well, guess what? It actually is.

The thing is, if you want to write that badly, you'll find the time. Even ten minutes or so during your lunch break each day, or getting up half an hour earlier to fit in thirty minutes of writing time before you have to get ready for work or whatever, eventually adds up to a whole lot of writing time. So, stop making excuses why you can't do it, choose your writing tools, and write already. Because, if it's important enough to you, you'll find a way to make the time.

So, get out of your own way.

Also, if you find yourself having one of those days when you just don't want to get out of bed to write, here are 18 things you can do to get yourself out of bed, and motivated to write.

***

Sometimes, you might want to do more than just give a passing mention to music in your story. Maybe your character is a big music lover? Or, perhaps, a song just happens to come on the radio, and the way your character reacts to it is important to the story for some reason? Whatever the case, your best option is to write the lyrics yourself. Why? Well, read this post on how and why to write song lyrics for your book, and all will become clear. Here's an extra tip for you though: the rules for writing song lyrics are very similar to those for writing poetry.

On a similar theme, you may find it benificial to re-invent the way you write, using sound. You may not, but it's certainly something worth considering trying. I especially think act one is a good idea to help you bring your stories to life.

***

Don't forget about my "Zeena Dragon Fae" sale! The sale ends on June 12th 2016, and you can find all the details you'll need about it by reading my post about it (if you haven't already done so).

4 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I pre-ordered the new collection of poetry!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Awesome... Thanks! Also, thanks for coming to the rescue with the cover. Hugs!

Jeanie said...

I love the title of your book. It has such beautiful images associated with those words. And thanks for the jump-start links! We all need them!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Thanks! It's the title of one of the many ocean themed poems I've written in the past year or so, and I thought the poem would make a good title poem... Good to see people appear to agree with me. Hopefully people who read the book like the poem as much as the title. ;)

Also, you're welcome about the links.