Monday, July 04, 2016

2016 Second Quarter #Reading Challenge - BINGO!

One of the groups I'm a member of over on Goodreads tends to be quite creative with their challenges. For example, the reading challenge for the second quarter of this year, which ran from April 1st to June 30th 2016, was based on a game of Bingo.

This Bingo card was posted:


The goal was to cross off the spaces by reading a book with the description on the space. You could get a Bingo by getting 5 in a row, up down or diagonally! You could also get a Bingo by getting all 4 corners, and also BLACKOUT (if you were really motivated!)

You were supposed to set your own goal from the list below:

1-2 Bingos: Atari Newbie
3-4 Bingos: Tetris Building Machine
5-7 Bingos: Pac Man Master
8+ Bingos: Donkey Kong Champion
BLACKOUT: The Legend of Zelda

Now, despite how fun it sounded, when I read this far in the post, I almost didn't join in. I mean, the card is visual, after all! But it turned out that the moderator who created the challenge had very helpfully provided a list of what was needed under each letter at the bottom of her post. I have no idea if she did it intentionally for my benifit - the whole group does know I can't see - or if she did just do it in order to provide a quick list for reference to the group in general. I didn't ask. But, either way, her doing so meant I was able to join in. So, I did.

This was the full list:

B1- A book with a one-word title
B2- A classic
B3- An ebook
B4- A book with multiple POVs
B5- A library book

I1- A Sci-Fi book
I2- A book set in high school
I3- A first in a series
I4- An audiobook
I5- A book published in 2016

N1- A book off of your TBR
N2- A non-fiction book
N3- A standalone book
N4- A book over 400 pages
N5- A book under 300 pages

G1- A book by a new-to-you author
G2- A book set in the future
G3- A book set in the past
G4- A fantasy book
G5- A book set in college

O1- An adult book
O2- A re-read book
O3- A book that made you laugh
O4- A book that made you cry
O5- A book with a mystery

And here's what I managed to get read:

B1 ~ Ixeos (Ixeos Trilogy, #1) by Jennings Wright
B2 ~ Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
B3 ~ Finding Daisy by Bob Simms
B4 ~ Remnants (Remnants Trilogy, #1) By John Hennessy
B5 ~

I1 ~ RENOVO Grounded (Renovo, #2) by Geoffrey Wakeling
I2 ~ Bloody Zombies by Victoria Leybourne
I3 ~ Quicksilver (The Forensic Geology Series, #1) by Toni Dwiggins
I4 ~ Pathfinder Legends - Mummy's Mask, Chapter 4: Secrets of the Sphinx by Amber Scott
I5 ~ Stars Above: A Lunar Chronicles Collection by Marissa Meyer

N1 ~ Zombie Messiah by Eric Mead
N2 ~
N3 ~ Room 42 by Melody J. Bremen
N4 ~ The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
N5 ~ The Shunned House by H. P. Lovecraft

G1 ~ The Healer (The Healer, #1) by C.J. Anaya
G2 ~ The Martian by Andy Weir
G3 ~ The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories #2) by Bernard Cornwell
G4 ~ The Kitchen Imps and Other Dark Tales by A.L. Butcher
G5 ~

O1 ~ Globular Van der Graff's Goblin Tales for Adults by Jack Eason
O2 ~ Hybrid: Pacifier 6 - Expanded Universe by Geoffrey Wakeling
O3 ~ Blithering Genius (The Other Universes, #2) by Ubiquitous Bubba
O4 ~ The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
O5 ~ The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4) by Carolyn Keene

I wouldn't normally count re-reads, but in this case it's taken a while for the book to be listed on Goodreads, so my Amazon review is from when I originally read it when it came out in February, but my Goodreads review is from when I read it again and put up a review for it when I discovered it was finally listed on Goodreads in June. So, this time I'm mentioning a re-read.

Anyway...

By my calculations, I got six bingos:

B1 through O1.
B1 through O5.
B3 through O3.
B4 through O4.
I1 through I5.
O1 through O5.

That makes me a Pac Man Master.

3 comments:

Intense Guy said...

You are a master of reading that is for sure!

I'm so glad you could join in!

Rita said...

I was thinking the same exact thing as Iggy! You are a master reader, for sure!
That was nice or lucky that she listed them. Hope she does it next time, too. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy & Rita:
Yeah. I don't know if it was intentional or luck, but either way, I'm glad I could join in. I nearly thanked her for doing it, but if it was luck that she did it, I don't want to make her feel bad if she didn't give it a thought before hand, you know?

I wouldn't say I read a lot, but I set my reading goal for this year at 216 books, and I'm more than 25 books ahead of schedule.