Monday, August 29, 2016

#TV Talk And #Movie Mutterings - August 2016

I didn't do one of these posts last month, because there wasn't anything new that was TV or movie related to post about. I mean, it was sort of pointless doing a post of new to me movies and TV shows when I hadn't seen anything new, don't you think? But I've got some new to me movies to post about this month, so you get a post this time.

As with the previous posts like this, I'm not posting long and detailed reviews. I'm just giving you a bit about what I thought of the movie in question. Because of this, I've linked to where you can find out more about the movie, if you want to. So, to know more than just my opinion, and how I'd rate the movie, click on the title of the movie in question, and you should go straight to a page where you can find out more.

Yes, I did say "how I'd rate the movie" in the above paragraph. I know I haven't been doing ratings, but I decided to start doing so now. No, I'm not going to go back and rate movies I've posted about in the past... That would be incredibly time consuming, not to mention boring. Anyway, I'm going to use the same rating system I'm used to using on Goodreads, because I figure it's easier to stick with one rating system, rather than risking confusion over which rating system applies this time. This means that:

One star = did not like it.
Two stars = it was okay.
Three stars = liked it.
Four stars = really liked it.
Five stars = it was amazing.

OK... So...

Maya The Bee (2014 movie):
I've seen the TV series for this one, and think it's really cute. The movie is cute too, but I wasn't quite as taken with the movie as I have been by the TV series. It felt too long. I don't know if it was just where I'm used to getting Maya's adventures in small doses, and found it difficult to adjust to such a long "episode" about her, or if it's something in how well they did with expanding the story. But, either way, it felt like they'd forced the extra length, with the result it seemed to drag in several places. So, yeah... It was a cute movie, but not as good as the TV series, in my opinion. I give this one four out of five stars.

The Good Dinosaur (2015 movie):
I've been dying to see this one ever since I learned it existed. It looked totally awesome, so I'd ended up doing the thing I always try not to do - often unsuccessfully. I'd built up high expectations for this movie. I'm pleased to report that I was not disappointed! This movie was fantastic! It had everything a good movie needs: an interesting storyline, a great cast of characters, and scenes that will have you on a rollercoaster ride of emotions so that you'll be laughing one minute and crying the next. I give this one a well deserved five out of five stars.

Fantastic Four (2015 movie):
As a movie in its own right, this one is really good - not fantastic, but really good. My main complaint about it as a movie in its own right is the awful sound quality (most of the movie was so quiet I could hardly hear it, even with the TV turned up really high). However, as a Fantastic Four movie, this movie was terrible. It threw the origin story right out of the window, and made a few other mistakes as well. If you're going to make a movie based on a superhero (or group of them, as in this case) you should do your homework first. If you want to go with a new origin story, make up your own superhero. Just saying! I give this one three out of five stars.

Pan (2015 movie):
This is another movie I wasn't as impressed with as I had hoped to be. It had a few entertaining scenes, and was a reasonably good movie in its own right, but it wasn't an amazing movie. Not to mention, it didn't work at all as a Peter Pan origin story. The movie was set in World War II (1939-1945) which makes absolutely no sense for the origin story of Peter Pan, who met Wendy Darling during the Edwardian era (1901-1910). The dates just don't work! So, another movie that only gets three out of five stars.

5 comments:

Rita said...

Haven't seen any of these. I like the idea of you having a rating system, but glad you still tell us why and what you liked and didn't like about the movies. :)

Jeanie said...

I've not seen a one of these, although I'm disappointed about hearing of Pan. I love the Peter Pan story.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Glad you like the idea of the rating system. Don't worry, I do intend to continue actually giving my opinion as well as doing the ratings.

Jeanie:
I really like the Peter Pan stories too, which is part of why I was disappointed in the "Pan" movie. As I said, it was a good movie in its own right, but anyone who knows the original Peter Pan story will immediately see that it doesn't work for his origin story. Such a shame!

IntenseGuy said...

I've not seen any of these - maybe someday!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
I think you'd enjoy "The Good Dinosaur" if you can get to see that one.