Thursday, October 06, 2016

A #Poem For #NationalPoetryDay

Today is National Poetry Day, which I'd forgotten it was supposed to be until I saw it mentioned on Twitter earlier, hence my not having a post ready for it. But, in honour of the day, I'd like to share a poem. So, just for fun, here's one I wrote based on the lost sock incident I mentioned in Sunday's blog post:

My Poor Lost Sock

Where, oh, where could my little sock be?
Oh where did my little sock go?
He went in the machine with his twin,
But where he is now, I don’t know!

I checked in the washer and the dryer too,
But no sock was there to be seen.
I checked in the basket again just in case,
But the basket is empty and clean.

Where, oh, where could my little sock be?
The poor thing is lost and alone!
If you see my poor sock, wherever he might be,
Please send my poor sock back home!


© 2016 ~ Victoria "Tori" Zigler

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

You have just written a poem on the story of my life! I always feel compelled to keep the lonely socks just in case one turns up trapped in the sheets or towels -- and eventually they become dust rags.

I once asked my blind friend Nino how he dealt with the sock issue -- both in terms of keeping the right ones together and such and he said he pinned them together when he took them off and washed them that way. Makes sense to me -- at least then you are losing two!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Haha! Glad you liked the poem.

My brother handles it another way. All his socks are the same colour, so he just pairs them as he finds them. If he finds he has an odd one, he sets it aside until he has the same issue again, then just puts the odd socks together. In the end things even out, and since his socks all match he doesn't have to worry about whether the socks match, since they all automatically do.

I, on the other hand, deal with it another way. I go fetch hubby. I'm not sure which option I'd go with if he wasn't here, but I'd figure something out.

Rita said...

Having all your socks the same is a smart idea--LOL! Mine were in similar batches until I got my wild summer socks. But they are so much fun--stipes, dots, zigzags in all different bright colors. But I figured that as they wear out or get lost I will just match up whatever is left for even crazier socks--LOL! Love your poem. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Glad you enjoyed the poem. Good plan about your socks. Mine are all sorts... Different patterns, plain ones with different coloured toes, and ones with pictures on (mostly pictures of animals or cartoon characters). The sock that inspired the poem, for example, has pigs on it.

Intense Guy said...

I hate lost socks!! I hate the one the stayed home even more! I just don't know what to do with them!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
I know what you mean. I'm sure being made useful would help them deal with their loss, but how do you make a single sock feel useful?