Monday, October 31, 2016

#TV Talk and #Movie Mutterings - #Halloween 2016 (LBE And FD)

If you're here looking for my Halloween party post... Click here to go to it.

OK... So... It's Halloween... Do you have any plans? If so, I'd love to hear what they are.

Living several floors up in an area that doesn't get many trick-or-treaters anyway, I'm not expecting any neighbours' children to be knocking on my door - or, more accurately, ringing my buzzer - tonight. Around here, most of the people who celebrate Halloween go to parties or other events that they or their children's schools arrange, and it's rare to get more than a dozen or so trick-or-treaters come calling, even when you live at street level. I think the most we ever got was a little over two dozen one time a couple of years ago, but - as I said - that's pretty rare. It's sad really, but so many people won't even answer the door that most people don't feel it's worth it to take the kids out trick-or-treating, and even fewer bother with blocks of flats. Not that everyone even bothers with Halloween at all these days, which I happen to think is a real shame. But I also happen to think people are entitled to celebrate, or not celebrate, whatever they like, so I'm not going to judge them for it. It would be nice to have trick-or-treaters come calling though...

Well, regardless of what the neighbours are doing, I for one plan to celebrate it, so, my Halloween plans involve eating something with pumpkin in it for dinner, followed by some treats we have on hand (just because you need treats when celebrating Halloween) and watching movies. I might do some reading too, knowing me. Not big plans, perhaps, but it's something to do to celebrate the holiday, and it sounds fun to me.

Oh, and... If you're wondering... Yes. If any trick-or-treaters do actually come calling, I will share my treats with them. As much as I'd love to have the kids come calling, I'm willing to eat them all if no trick-or-treaters come calling though. *wink*

So, anyway... Kelly and I both picked a movie we've seen, and a movie we haven't, though I'm not sure if we'll get to all four today... Probably not. Anyway, my movies of choice are Hocus Pocus for the movie we've seen, and Goosebumps for the one we haven't seen. Kelly's picks are The Witches for the movie we've seen, and The Last Witch Hunter for the one we haven't seen. We obviously like the ones we picked that we've already seen, so I won't be mentioning them in next month's movie reviews post. But I'll tell you next month what we thought of the two new to us movies.

For now though, let's take a look at the new to me movies I've already watched, including those movies I would have posted about in September, but didn't due to not ending up doing one of these posts last month (if you're wondering, I didn't do the post last month because I'd planned to have it go up the morning we lost Jenks, and put it back as a draft post to make the post for that day about him instead, later rescheduling and adding to the planned September movies post to create this one). Not that there are very many new to me movies to review, even with it being two months worth... This post is only a kind of long one because I talk a lot. Haha! Seriously though, as I've mentioned a few times in the past, I spend more time reading than watching movies or TV shows.

Anyway, I'm sure you want me to get on with it, so...

As with the previous posts like this one, just click on the movie titles to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie in question; the movie title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

OK...

Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015 movie):
I loved the first Hotel Transylvania movie, so was excited about watching the second. Luckily, I was not disappointed. The movie was fantastic! There were a few sweet scenes, but mostly the characters and their antics had me laughing out loud. I think this is one the entire family could enjoy - young and old alike. I have no hesitation at all in giving this movie the full five out of five stars.

A Warrior's Tail (2015 movie):
For the most part, this was a pretty good movie, with some really entertaining scenes. But I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I thought I was going to. Confused? Let me explain. Part of why I didn't enjoy the movie as much as I'd expected to was because it was often difficult to tell who was doing what, since there was no audio description, and it wasn't clear from the dialogue or sound effects. It wasn't just that though. The tone of the movie had me thinking for most of it that the people in the movie were a tribe from one of the old religeons where animals, nature, and magic users take the place of dieties for the most part, and any mention to any kind of actual diety refers to Mother Earth in some shape or form. At least, that's what I'd have said if you asked me about their beliefs. However, at one point... About two thirds of the way through, give or take... Two of the characters suddenly had this short conversation about whether God was eternal. I have no memory of God ever being mentioned before that, and know for a fact he wasn't mentioned after it. Now, don't get me wrong, people can believe whatever they want, be it in real life, in a book, or in a movie. But there needs to be consistancy in the beliefs, especially in the books and movies. With all the myths and legends, talking animals communicating easily with humans, magic users, curses, etc, mentioned in the rest of the movie, the conversation about God felt really out of place. Maybe I missed something earlier in the movie? I don't think so though, and Kelly had gotten the same feeling as me from the tone of the movie too, and was equally as confused by the sudden reference to God (though, I admit, he didn't watch the whole movie with me). But, anyway, since I mostly enjoyed what I could follow of the movie, and it wasn't entirely their fault I had no audio description, I'm giving this one four out of five stars.

The Martian (2015 movie):
I've read the book for this one, and really enjoyed it, so I was eager to see how well they did with the movie. Most of it was a pretty good representation of the book. I mean, they left a few bits out, and things weren't 100% as described in the book, but time limitations was probably the reason for the first of those things, and the inability to properly recreate the situations was probably the reason for the second. In all fairness, they couldn't really have someone go to Mars and completely recreate the experience; to my knowledge, no country currently has the ability to do something like that (and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to do it, even if they could). Anyway, back to the movie... The ending was the only issue I had with it. The ending of the book was dramatic enough, but they changed the ending in the movie to add a bit more action and excitement. Don't get me wrong, it was a really good alternative ending, and the same result was achieved in the longrun. But it was still an alternative ending, however you want to look at it. Still, I give this movie four out of five stars.

Victor Frankenstein (2015 movie):
I'm not familiar enough with the story of Frankenstein and his monster to know how well this works as a companion to the rest of what you may know about the man and his creation. I've read the book, but this is the first movie I've seen on it. From what I remember of the book, nothing was contradicted, so this seems a reasonable possible origin story from what I can tell, and is a pretty good movie. Not amazing, but worth a watch if you like that sort of thing, I think. I give this one four out of five stars.

Minions (2015 movie):
I haven't seen the movies where these little guys first made an appearance, but that doesn't matter, since this is a prequel anyway. So, what did I think of the movie? It was pretty cute, and quite funny. Kelly watched this one with me, and we were both laughing out loud for most of the movie. This is another movie the whole family can enjoy together, and I give it a well deserved five out of five stars.

Alice Through The Looking Glass (2016 movie):
I've seen both the animated and live action versions of "Alice In Wonderland" (in fact, I watched them again right before I watched this movie) and I've read the two books they're based on. When I learned there would be an "Alice Through The Looking Glass" movie, I wondered how they'd do it with how they ended the first live action movie, especially since the live action "Alice In Wonderland" felt a little like a blending of the two books. I was pleasantly surprised, however. They connected the movies to one another well, and then did an excellent job of combining some of the elements they hadn't yet used from the second book with some new material. I have no hesitation in giving this movie the full five out of five stars.

***

I'm trying to decide if I should be pleased or concerned that the rodent gang - the degus and chinchillas in particular - seem to absolutely love crime dramas like NCIS, CSI, Cold Case, etc. If they're being all grumpy and whiny, putting one of those shows on will make them calm down. We've even witnessed them staring intently at the TV during their crime shows.

What do you think? Should I be pleased, since those are pretty good shows, or should I be concerned?

***

I found out by doing this quiz thing on Pottermore that my Patronus is a Bassett Hound. Yeah... I can live with that. If you do the quiz thing, I'd love to know what yours would be. Oh, and, if you're wondering... I did the sorting too, and I'm in Ravenclaw, which is just fine with me. I have no objections to being a Ravenclaw with a puppy patronus.

Speaking of Harry Potter...

One of the Sky movie channels often plays the Harry Potter movies one after another, and then starts again when they're done. I've seen the movies dozens of times, but I still sometimes watch them again. Anyway, one day last week, I decided to lay on the sofa and watch some Harry Potter, since I'd turned the TV on just right to start from the first movie. Only a few minutes in to the movie, however, I fell asleep. I woke just as the second movie was starting. Kelly was already asleep before I fell asleep, and woke not long after I did. When he learned I'd been asleep, he asked me how long I slept for. My reply? "All of the first Harry Potter movie." You can tell how obsessed we are with Harry Potter by the fact he considered that a valid response, and knew roughly how long that meant. Haha!

Anyway... Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Laffs at the sleepy heads!

Smiles. I've not seen any of the movies listed - some of them sound very interesting. I'm a big fan of Alice in Wonderland.

And yes, I'd be very concerned about the rodent gang's TV viewing habits.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
If you enjoy Alice in Wonderland, you'll probably enjoy the "Alice Through The Looking Glass" movie.

So far the rodent gang are acting sweet and innocent... I'm hoping they're not trying to lull me in to a false sense of security...

Danielle L Zecher said...

We don't usually get many trick or treaters either. We opted not to even turn our porch light on this year since hubby and I are both sick.

The other Minions movies are great. I'm glad to hear that the second Hotel Transylvania is good. I liked the first one a lot.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Sorry you and your hubby are both sick. I hope you both get better soon.

Thanks about the other minions movies... Glad to know they're good movies, and will be worth watching when I get around to doing so. If you enjoyed the first Hotel Transylvania movie, you'll love the second.

Jeanie said...

What a good list of spooky movies! I love Hocus Pocus! But I'm sorry you guys are under the weather. Well, I hope Halloween helped perk you up. Now we're into November -- where in the world does the time go?

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I have no idea where the time has gone... This year seems to be flying by. Realistically I know it isn't so, but sometimes I swear the world is spinning faster and faster...

Rita said...

I handed out candy at McFamily's while Dagan and Leah took Ian around in his dragon costume. They had about 55 kids, I think. Was busy for a while there.

You always see so many movies and read so many books. I watch a lot more movies than read books. I've seen The Martian and Hocus Pocus and the Harry Potter movies. I think I may have a couple of these in my Netflix queue. Hope you had fun--and stayed awake to watch the movies--LOL!

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Sounds like you had a fun evening. Yes, I had a fun evening, and I managed to stay awake long enough to watch most of the movies. Yeah, I may read a lot more than I watch, but I do still watch several movies each month... Not always ones that are new to me, though I try to get a couple of new to me movies among those I watch each month. I spend most of my time either reading, writing, or watching movies... Can you tell? Haha!