Sunday, January 01, 2017

Celebrating The #Holidays 2016 (FD)

First of all... HAPPY NEW YEAR!

If 2016 was a bad year for you, I hope 2017 is kinder to you. If 2016 was a good year for you, I hope 2017 is even better.

We don't really do anything to see in the new year. I mean, the new year approaching always gets me to thinking about both the past and present, and reflecting on both. But we don't worry about being up to see in the new year, and don't usually bother to do anything special on either New Years Eve or New Year's Day. If you did though, or are planning to later, I hope your celebrations went/go well.

We used to make a big fuss for both the Winter Solstice and Christmas, but these days we've toned it down a lot. We now do small private rituals on the evening of the day the solstice falls upon (usually December 21st, but not always; the date sometimes shifts a day or so either way, depending on how the planets align), then we do something to celebrate Christmas (even if it's not much). For 2016, for example, we had our friends, Lorna and Andy, over for a Christmas Eve tea, which we ate the leftovers from on Christmas Day while watching Christmas movies, and then we cooked our Christmas dinner on Boxing Day.

Our Christmas Eve tea consisted of mince pies with squirty cream, a jam and cream swiss roll, a chocolate log, and some shortbread, served with whatever everyone wanted to drink, which was tea for Lorna and Andy, cocoa for me, and coffee for Kelly, just in case you're interested. Oh, and Christmas dinner was roasted parsnips, garlic and thyme roast potatoes, a root vegetable mash consisting of carrot and sweet potatoes with a bit of butternut squash, sage and onion stuffing balls, sprouts, cranberry sauce, and vegetable gravy (it was for me, anyway, Kelly didn't have all the vegetables I had though, and had pigs in blankets as part of his dinner, which I obviously didn't do, what with being vegetarian and all).

Now, on to the presents!

On the sixth day of Christmas, my friends and family brought for me,
6 audiobooks.
5 Hello Kitty themed pressies.
4 random gifts.
3 Hershey Bars.
2 DVD boxsets.
A penguin, and a box of toffee.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. *wink*

Here are photos of most of it...

Four Hello Kitty plush toys, and a Hello Kitty mug:


My penguin plushy, an Olaf the snowman plushy, three of my audiobooks (CDs of children's stories; two bedtime story collections, and a collection of Womble stories), my DVD boxsets (a boxset of the "Goosebumps" series that used to be on TV, and season nine of "The Big Bang Theory") and my "Frozen" DVD:


(so,, I don't have to wait for Sky to be showing "Frozen" so I can watch it again now, haha!)

Not pictured are the audiobooks that were audio downloads I picked out myself, a handy gadget my brother got me to make chopping vegetables easier, my Hershey bars and box of toffee, and the vouchers I have from a very good friend who's organizing a special zoo experience for me (which I'll tell you more about when it happens).

Last, but by no means least, here are some photos of our Christmas cards:


I didn't get a white Christmas again this year. We had some awesome storms, and Christmas Day itself didn't have the nicest of weather. The weather wasn't the worst we've had, but it was rough out there. At least it wasn't one of those Christmas days where it feels like Summer... Those are only supposed to happen in the Southern Hemisphere, not up here in the Northern Hemisphere. Like I said though, I would have liked snow, but we didn't get any. I can't say I'm all that shocked. Still, it would have been wonderful if I'd had snow for Christmas. Never mind.

Anyway, despite the lack of snow, it was a really good Christmas. Not just because of all the great cards and presents either. Although, I am grateful for those, so thank you to those who sent me stuff. Also, thank you to those who sent me holiday messages one way or another. As I was saying though, it was just a nice Christmas in general. 2017 promises to be a better year than 2016, and the promise of that helped, I think.

I hope you can say the same, both about the enjoyable Christmas, Winter Solstice, or whatever you celebrated, and the promise of a good year to come. Although, I suppose we won't know for sure what kind of year 2017 turns out to be for us until we reach the end of it, and can look back on the events that happened throughout the year. Still, I hope there's no sign of a dark cloud on your year's horizon so soon, and that none appears.

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

It sounds like you really had a terrific Christmas -- wonderful tea and treats and dinner and of course great presents! Plus, it sounds like you were with people that are a big and happy part of your life, and really, isn't that what it should be about?

There is something special about hearing about each and every person's holiday. I think yours sounds just wonderful.

Happy New Year, Tori! Here's to success with writing, life and lots of joy!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Yes, that's what it's all about, and it was a lovely Christmas.

Thank you... Happy new year to you too!

Rita said...

Sounds like a lovely Christmas and New Year's. You'll be jealous! We had a snowstorm last night and have several inches of fluffy white snow all over out there!! I love it!! I hope this is a wonderful year for you two, too. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Thanks! Oh, and, you're right... I am jealous about the snow! I'm sure you were doing a great job of enjoying it for the both of us though. ;)

Intense Guy said...

Awww.. Nice to see someone enjoying the simple things during the holidays!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Thanks... I don't always do a great job, but I always try to focus on enjoying and appreciating the little things.

Danielle L Zecher said...

Your Christmas dinner sounds delicious! I've never had a parsnip, but I think it's something I want to try.

I hope 2017 turns out to be a great year for you.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Thanks! I hope 2017 turns out to be a great year for you too. Also, if you ever try a parsnip, I hope you enjoy it.