Monday, January 09, 2017

The Other 2017 Goals

I had only one goal for 2016 that wasn't related to either my reading or writing in some way. Funnily enough, that goal is the only one I didn't do as well with as I'd hoped I would.

The goal was to sort out the shelves so we could unpack the boxes we've had packed since we moved in to this place in February 2015. Well, technically they've been packed longer than that, since we got the stuff packed up while waiting to move, so they'd been packed since the January at least. But I think you get the point.

Like I said, this is the one goal I didn't do well with in 2016. We did make a start with it, though I admit that wasn't until near the end of the year. But we only got maybe half way through the task before 2016 came to an end. As I'm sure you can imagine, finishing the job is top of my list of goals for 2017, especially since the boxes had to be moved for the shelves we've got to go up, which means the boxes are currently in the way. Not so much in the way that we're falling over them, but enough so that them being where they are is annoying me. This is good though, in a way, because them annoying me will give me plenty of motivation to finish the task so they can stop doing so.

Also, at the start of this year some time, we're having some work done on our heating system. Maybe even a complete boiler replacement. Our heating system isn't too bad, but there's room for improvement, and it hasn't been replaced for a while. On the one hand this is great. On the other hand, it means a day... Or possibly a couple of days... Of workmen to deal with. Still, as I said, there's room for improvement, which means it will be a good thing in the long run, so I'm not complaining.

There are also a few other things that need doing in this place, but most of those are tasks that are the responsibility of our landlords. Those tasks would have been done by now, but our landlords got some new repair guys who turned out to not be doing their jobs, and now their new new guys (yes, I did mean to write "new" twice there) are trying to catch up with the long list of jobs the landlords thought were getting done, which weren't getting done after all. While they do that, we'll work on trying to get the ones that are our responsibility done. Like sorting the curtain rail for what is now our bedroom, so we can finally put the curtains up in there.

I know there are areas of my daily life I should set goals for too. But I'm finding that part difficult. It's not that I don't know what goals I should set. I do. It's that when I write them down they seem vague and formless, and I immediately wonder how I expect to know I've achieved them when I'm not able to make it clear what will be required to do so. So then I just delete them. Does that even make sense? Anyway, I'll come back to those when I can get them clearer in my mind. The general gist though is that I want to break some bad habits I've aquired, return to some habits I used to have that I've let slip (like daily meditation) and introduce some new good habits I wish I had. Hopefully, even if you don't get a detailed daily life goals list, you'll see signs of some changes in my life as the year progresses. Changes that will, I hope, be positive ones.

So... To summarize...

Household goals:
*Finish unpacking and organizing the things that have been in boxes for way too long.
*Get the jobs done that are our responsibility to take care of. (I can't control what happens with the jobs the landlords need to do, so I'm not officially including that on my goals list).

Personal goals:
*Start meditating daily again.
*Attempt to break some bad habits I've gotten in to, and try to replace them with some good ones I wish I had, or used to have and want to have again. This especially applies to exercise, and the fact I should start making some effort to go out more.

10 comments:

Danielle L Zecher said...

It is hard sometimes to set goals. I feel like I should be making resolutions/setting goals for the new year, but it isn't happening yet. I'm honestly not sure where to start.

I do need to to exercise more, too. I just have a really hard time with that during the colder weather.

Good luck to you with your goals.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Thanks! Good luck to you too. Remember, you can set goals or make resolutions to change your life at any point during the year, so it's never too late to do so.

Jeanie said...

Ugh. Exercising more. I SO need to do that.

Don't feel alone. I have boxes in my basement from when I moved here in 1995 I didn't unpack. I should just carry them upstairs and out to the curb!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
OK, you just made me feel a lot better about my boxes, LOL!

Rita said...

Sounds like a plan! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Rita! :)

Deanna said...

One of my goals for 2016 that I didn't complete was to set up my home office. Maybe we will both have better luck getting things sorted this year.

I like the way you shared your goals here on your blog. I should finish mine and post them. Might make me more accountable.

Victoria Zigler said...

Deanna:
Yeah, hopefully we'll both have better luck this year. As for sharing my goals on my blog... That's a big part of why I did so (to make me more accountable, I mean). I'm hoping the fact I've told the world will be enough of a kick in the behind to do what I plan to do. ;)

Intense Guy said...

Human laziness knows no bounds it seems with a lot of laborers.

Hugs, hope you get some workers that enjoy doing their thing!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Indeed! I hope so too.