Wednesday, March 15, 2017

#Writing Wednesday - March 15th 2017

A fellow author created a (totally not serious) author bio generator, so I thought I'd have some fun with it and liven up my own author bio. Here it is:

Victoria Zigler was born in a barn sometime in the last century and grew up in the surrounding fields with the horses learning to juggle potatoes. She left the farm for the African wilderness where she spent several years living with a pride of lions who adopted her. Victoria now lives in an invisible spaceship in Earth's orbit with her favourite lion from the pride and a monkey who snuck aboard when nobody was looking. When not writing bestselling
novels, Victoria likes to juggle food ration packs in between games of fetch with the lion and games of chess with the monkey.

There, don't I sound more interesting? *wink*

OK, now we've had some fun, let's get serious and move on to this week's links...

If you're a writer too - published or not, exciting life or not - do you view your writing as a business or hobby? If it's the former, you may want to consider these ways to show your writing is a business. I don't have a bank account or credit card reserved for business earnings/expenses, and I don't have a fancy reader that allows people to pay me by card using my phone (my iPhone would probably die half way through the transaction anyhow, due to how quickly it uses up the battery with my need to use Voiceover, combined with the phone being several years old, and the battery being the original one from it). But I have done most of what they advise in that post (though my system of organizing my earnings and expenses is different to that of the article's author). The main point though is, if you don't view your writing as a business, neither will anyone else... Including Uncle Sam.

Whether you write for business or not, however, you may want to take a look at this post on writing speculative fiction, especially since the advice in it is valid regardless of the genre you write in: writing fiction may involve making a lot of stuff up, but that's no reason not to make things realistic.

Speaking of making things realistic, here are some ways animals enhance fiction, complete with tips on how to be sure the scenes with pets or wildlife in them make sense for the story.

Finally, always remember that it is worth it.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I just love your new bio! (Tell me, how was it living with the lions?!)

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
It was certainly an interesting experience. I think it was their eating habits that prompted me to become a vegetarian. ;)