Monday, August 07, 2017

#Hastings #PirateDay 2017



July 16th 2017 was this year's Hastings Pirate Day. The town does this every year; we're world record holders for the most people dressed as pirates in a given location at any one time. There are always pirate themed events all over the town, and a large number of the residents - along with plenty of people who travel some distance especially for the event - attend in full or partial pirate costumes. Several people also attend without pirate costumes. We were among those not in costume, but I do have plenty of photos for you of people who did dress up, including some pirate dogs. Here you go:



As I said, there are always events happening all over town. This year was no exception. We only went to part of it though. We just went to check out what was happening on the peer. There was some pirate themed entertainment, of course, and this giant blow up whale:


The big event on the peer though - at least, the one I was most eager to be there for - was when some sky divers were jumping out of a plane above the peer. We got some photos of the plane as it circled above us...


And a short video too...






We also got some photos of the sky divers...


I never can understand why people would want to jump out of a perfectly good plane. Only way I'd jump out of one is if staying in it meant certain death, while jumping meant a chance of survival. Even then you might have to give me a bit of a push. However, since I like planes - and thought the idea of combining planes with pirate celebrations was cool - I wanted to be there.

If you're wondering: Yes, Lilie was with us. In fact, here's a photo of her we took during one of the restss she and I took during the walk to the peer. There was a low wall by the bench I was sat on, and she decided it made a perfect spot where she could watch the world go by. We didn't get her a pirate bandana though. Maybe next year? Anyway, here she is:


Lilie didn't mind all the pirates, an was happy and eager to greet and be petted by them. As for the plane... It didn't bother her in the slightest. She was far more interested in whether the people and dogs on the ground were coming to see her, or just passing by. I think I was more bothered by the crowds and noise than she was.

4 comments:

Danielle L Zecher said...

That looks like so much fun! You should definitely dress Lily up as a pirate next year.

I totally agree with you about the skydiving. I'm positive I'd have to be thrown out even if staying on meant certain death.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Yes, it was fun, and I do plan to at least get her a bandanna for next year, if I can. Glad it's not just me with the skydiving thing.

Rita said...

I remember this from last year and I love to see all the pirates!! What a fun celebration! Lilie needs a pirate outfit for next year--LOL! You guys, too!! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Lilie, perhaps, but I doubt we'll get dressed up ourselves. I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possibility, but it's unlikely.