Sunday, August 31, 2008

Trying to heal (AE&D + PTMI)

I remember someone on another blog - I don't remember who at the moment - wondering about how much gunk is in the human head. I believe said person thought it was way more than it should be and couldn't believe that the human head could hold so much gunk. At this moment I couldn't agree more!

The eye area is trying to heal properly from the surgery... Probably starting to disolve the stitches and all that... And the result is that the area is all gunky and gross. Especially when I first get up after a solid couple of hours sleep. When I've been sleeping I wake to find the eye's been producing this gunky stuff so much that it's actually stuck in the closed position because of it. So I've got to clean it up before I can open it.

I think part of it is due to the fact it's doing what all parts of the body do when they have something in them they don't recognise and trying to fight the so-called invader... Except it's not all that easy for it to fight the implant thing that's been put in there "to help with cosmetic results" (or something like that). So while it's attempting to tell this implant thing that it's intruding, it's also attempting to do as the stitches have been trying to persuade it to do since the op and heal around the implant. The poor thing's probably confused!

But does it have to be so gunky and gross with it? I mean, how much gunk can be available to come out of there anyway? Which brings us back to the question asked by the other blogger about how much gunk the human head can produce.

And I think I've entered a bit of a vicious circle with it... Because it's being all gunky I need to clean it and mess with it. BUT I think part of the gunkyness is caused by the fact I'm fiddling around near it. But I have to because I need to keep it clean... Do you see where I'm going with this? LOL!

It's been a bit swollen and puffy from time to time (especially soon after I get up). I've been doing what they said to do and holding a cold cloth on it for a bit too cool it down... Which does sort out the swelling... Shame it doesn't sort out the gunkyness. LOL!

There is one good thing though... I'm not needing pain killers any more (though I do have some on hand "just in case"). It's a bit uncomfortable when I've had to take the shell thingy out to clean and have to put it back in (the taking out is fine, the putting in is the uncomfortable bit). But not painful. So that's a good start. :)

Tori

9 comments:

Jess said...

You know when you have a hangnail, and you pull it and it goes too far adn rip down into your flesh and it's painful and annoying all at once? (Maybe this comment should have a AE&D on it)
I feel I have to squeeze the finger to "squeeze out the paint" even though obviously it doesn't do anything.
Maybe this whole gunk thing is the same. Live with the gunk, squeeze the gunk, etc. Anyway, I'm sure your body knows what it's up to.

Tori_z said...

Jess:
I'm sure it does, but I still wish it would quit with the gunk. ;)

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

oh dear tori thats some " gunk " coming from your eye , but you are doing the right thing by " keeping it clean " and i really can sympathise with you having to do it so many times, and i am so pleased to hear that you dont have to take the " pain killers " at the moment and lets hope its for always.

grandma x

AliceKay said...

I agree with your grandma....pleased to hear you don't need the pain killers any longer. Your eye socket will heal...it's just taking more time that you'd like. *hugs*

ChicagoLady said...

I hope your head clears out the "gunk" quickly.

LadyStyx said...

The blog you're thinking of is whimsical's.

Yes, it's a vicious circle when it comes to wound care. The body tries to protect itself so it produces this gunk to protect but you have to clean it so it can heal but if you mess with it, it tries to protect itself even more. *sigh*

Glad the eye's healing up. Im wondering if a warm shower in the morning would help? Just put your face up to the stream and let it wash away the gunk so you dont have to touch it. Just an idea...

Tori_z said...

Grandma:
In theory I shouldn't need them again... Not for eye pain anyway. Although, there's always other things like headaches. LOL!

AK:
Yep, it is taking longer than I'd like, but I suppose at least there are improvements that are visible (like the lack of pain).

Chicago:
So do I... LOL!

Styxie:
I thought it was, but didn't want to say in case I was wrong and it was someone else, since I wasn't 100% certain.

The shower thing might help if it wasn't for one really big problem... We don't have one! You know how over there a shower and bath combo is standard in most places? Well, it's not here! Here you get one or the other most of the time... People who have those bath shower combi things you have are considered posh over here. And the only way my council is willing to give me a shower is if I let them take my bath and there's no way I'm letting them do that (especially with the size of shower the councils often supply... One you can hardly move in)

LadyStyx said...

*ugh* totally understood. My first apartment was like that. The bathroom was *just* big enough for the commode, sink and a showerstall.

Tori_z said...

Styxie:
If they'd put the bath right up to the wall rather than leaving a gap about a foot wide at that end then they could have included a shower with it. But they just shoved the bath in wherever it landed by the look of it. You'll get to see photos eventually anyway though. LOL!