Saturday, July 10, 2010

Carnival 2010 (LBE and FD)

Exactly a week ago, Mam, Jo, Jo's youngest (6 year old Owain) and I went to the carnival that was being held in one of the villages between where I am and where my Mam lives.

We let Owain play in the play park for a bit first, since we were there quite early, so not everything was set up when we got there, and we didn't want him getting bored while we waited. We took photos of him playing on the slide, but Mam wanted to put them on her blog, so you'll have to look on her blog if you want to see those. She posted them yesterday.

Anyway, when everything was set up we went around some of the stalls where we played games, won prizes, brought cakes (I had a blueberry muffin, actually) and brought some sweets. I brought some fudge, some coconut ice, and a bag of honeycomb toffees. Yum, yum!

Then I went on one of the rides. I was the only one brave enough. Owain wouldn't have been allowed anyway, since he's only little, but nobody else wanted to go on with me. So, I went on my own.

It was great fun, though not something you want to ride too many times in one day. I was a bit wobbly when I got off it. My Mam laughed at me though. Not because of the wobblyness, but because my only concern was that I hadn't handed my phone over to her, and it had almost fallen out of my pocket while I was on the ride. I'd given her everything else (other than my cane... Wasn't handing that over) but forgot to hand over my phone.

Anyway, after that we played some more of the games, and won some more prizes.

Just as we were thinking about finding some food, we saw Adrian (Elizabeth's partner) with his little boy, Dylan. And, while we were talking to Adrian and little Dylan, we had some food (Owain and I had chips, Mam and Jo had burgers). Dylan's a real cutie. He's only two, and was showing us his, "fire, fire," (that's two fire trucks to the rest of us).

Anyway, after that we went to put all of our prizes in the car.

Then it was time for the parade.

(Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, and the missing heads in some of them).

The parade started with a marching band.

Followed by some little ones in buggies/strollers wearing costumes.

And adults in costume.

And more people in costume, with decorated floats.

With another band somewhere among it all.

And more people in costume.

And somewhere in there were the cadets.

My big brother, Wayne, was marching in the parade with the cadets, but since most of the cadets are headless, you probably can't find him among them. I promise he was there though.

Anyway, there were also some vehicles with the parade.

Including some police cars.

And fire trucks.

Once the parade was over, Mam, Jo, Owain and I went back to my parents place with all our prizes.

Those are all my prizes, but two of the three teddies I'm holding didn't stay mine for long. The rabbit (which was actually a glove puppet style teddy) was claimed by Willow, and the pig was claimed by Kero when I got home. I got to keep the hippo though, and the flowers (not real flowers, fake ones) are in the pot where I had some immitation roses.


We finished off the day with a BBQ at my parents' place.

Mam made burgers and sausages, and she also cooked a couple of veggie burgers for me. She actually cooked those first, so that I could have them before the meat stuff went on the BBQ. There was also salad, which I had the leftovers of for my tuck at club the following day.

After the BBQ I went home. It was a great day, but I was tired by the end of it.


Intense Guy said...


You did indeed have a busy day! That parade looks like it was a lot of fun to watch - all sorts of interesting floats and costumes.

I was struck by something - by how nice your Mam was to cook your burgers first... That was really considerate of her (and I would have never thought to do such a thing).

*giggles* Sounds like the doggies were the prize winners... Laughs... I wonder if Willow has destroyed that hand puppet yet.

Toriz said...

Most people wouldn't think of that, and I was going to suggest it, but then I heard her telling Owain that I was having mine first, and explaining why to him. :)

Yep, the parade was fun. As you can probably see from the photos, the theme this year was animals. It is a shame we didn't manage to get a shot of Wayne marching with the cadets though.

Willow had already removed the rabbits eyes and nose, and pulled out the stuffing from it before I left last week. I swiped the stuffing to use for the toys I'm making for baby Emma and little Michael for Christmas. Last I heard she was playing with the remains of the poor rabbit teddy.

Kero's pig is still fine though... A bit dirty, and the stitching holding its head on isn't as tight as it was - from our game of "tug the piggy" last night - but it's in better shape than the rabbit.

Deanna said...

It sounds like you had an amazing day. You look cute on that ride. I'll have to admit, though, that I wouldn't have gone with you either. I get so sick on those things.

Thanks for sharing your day with us.

AliceKay said...

I wouldn't have gone on that ride with you either. They get my head spinning and I'd probably get sick. I'm glad you didn't lose your phone during the ride. That would have been bad news.

Looks like a fun day was had by all according to your pictures. Too bad you didn't get a head shot of Wayne in the parade, but you knew he was there and that's what counts. Terri was in a 4th of July parade with the Boy Scouts a week ago but the lady who was taking pictures for him didn't get one showing his face. Got a pic where you could see his shoes tho. LOL

And yes, that was very considerate of your mom cooking your burgers first. I probably wouldn't have thought to do that either.

Nice pics. Thanks for posting them for us. The shot of you holding your prizes is very nice.:)

Toriz said...

Yeah, it was a great day. And, actually, I don't blame people who don't want to go on those rides, actually. I mean, it made me a bit dizzy and wobbly, and I don't get dizzy easy (most dizzyness is caused by your eyes attempting to focus on moving objects).

Yep, I knew he was there, and that's what counts! :)

A lot of people wouldn't think to do that. Mind you, a lot of people wouldn't even think to get the veggie burgers. Actually, that's one part where it was my prompting that made it happen.

Toriz said...

Oh yeah, and that's cool about Terri. Shame the person didn't get a shot of it though.

Rita said...

Ha! I would have been worried about my phone, too! :)

A great parade and nice of you to share your toys. ;)

I took note, also, of how considerate your mom was to make your veggie burgers first. How thoughtful!

Looked like a wonderful day! You have certainly been having a great summer! :)

Toriz said...

Glad it's not just me. :)

Yep, it was great fun!